Joemeek Twin Q. Noisy? Or am I just a brick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercreep

Lizard People
Hi!!

I've got a Twin Q's digital out hooked up to a MOTU 896HD outputting to a DAW running Sonar 4. I'm hearing lots of noise... like tape hiss. Because there is an input and output gain, is the noise just a function of signal to noise ratio? Meaning, should I just try to get the highest possible input so that the sound signal is much higher than the concomitant noise?

When I hook up the TwinQ to the line level inputs on the MOTU the noise is much less. Is this because I'm using the pres on the MOTU in addition to the TwinQ? I'm hoping the digital output works out for me because I can really use the extra two tracks.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It's definitely the AES/EBU output of the Twin Q - Even with both input and output gain turned all the way down there is a huge noise floor. If I hook it up to the MOTU as a line level signal I get a perfectly usable signal to noise ratio, but it still seems noisier than the MOTU pre. Any ideas?

(bump)

Just to be clear, you get good clean signal coming analog out into the MOTU A/D, but noisy using the pre's A/D?
I'm not familiar with the unit, just trying to step through the gain stage options you might have between the two setups..(?) maybe make sure you're comparing apples to apples..?
How about the optical out?

Sorry, that wasn't much help was it. :D
Wayne

I've heard that the older TwinQ had some issues with the digital out being noisy. Is yours the older one?

I haven't heard this at all on my unit, but I've never used the AES/EBU out, just the RCA S/PDIF. Which digital out are you using? If you are using AES/EBU, try S/PDIF, and the other way around. Verify that the sampling rates are the same, and that you are using a digital transfer cable.-Richie

Q

Thanks for the replies. Sample rates are identical. Dosen't sending the TwinQ's outputs to the MOTUs inputs as a line level signal bypass the pres on the MOTU? I'm pretty sure it does. Either way, the AES/EBU output to the MOTU is nasty bad. I've bought an AES/EBU cable and a word clock cable, and am not keen on buying a SPDIF to AES/EBU or SPDIF to optical adapter as the MOTU 896HD dosen't have SPDIF.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/896/overview.html/en

http://www.joemeek.com/images/twinq/twinq_back_large.jpg

Can I send the optical out from the meek to the optical in on the MOTU? It seems like the front panel only has meters for the AES/EBU input.

Sorry, I'm really frustrated because 8th street will want a 20% restocking fee and I purchased this because of the connectivity. :mad:

Last edited:
Supercreep said:
Sorry, I'm really frustrated because 8th street will want a 20% restocking fee and I purchased this because of the connectivity. :mad:

Check and see, but most places usually waive the restocking fee if you're returning because of a defect as opposed to just changed your mind.

Yes you are bypassing the pres on the MOTU.

SPDIF and AES/EBU signals are nearly identical... a lot of interfaces will ignore the differences... you should be able to jury rig a temporary cable just for testing purposes...

And I'd also suggest bringing the unit back where you bought it... bring the twin Q with you... demonstrate the the problem... and see if you have the same noise with a digital input from a different channel strip

MOFO Pro said:
Yes you are bypassing the pres on the MOTU.

SPDIF and AES/EBU signals are nearly identical... a lot of interfaces will ignore the differences... you should be able to jury rig a temporary cable just for testing purposes...

And I'd also suggest bringing the unit back where you bought it... bring the twin Q with you... demonstrate the the problem... and see if you have the same noise with a digital input from a different channel strip

I purchased it from 8th street music in Philly. I live in Sacramento, so that's a bit of a drive :) But I will have a friend come over with another unit to test the MOTU's AES/EBU input. Thanks for the tip about SPDIF, MOFO. I'll give that some thought.

I must add that 8th street music has been EXTREMELY helpful. I've spoken to Bob in CS and he has calmed me down quite a bit. You're right about the restocking fee - it may not apply. We'll see how badly the rackmount screws scratched the finish when we get home :(

Restocking Fee for a bad unit? I can't see them charging you that and if they try to I'd contact PMI and I'm sure they'll handle it for you.

Where is Alan? He usally chimes in by now.

I agree with DJL in this instance. Deal directly with Alan or Brent or Justin Hyatt. Whatever the issue is, they will make it right. There is no better customer service on the planet to deal with.-Richie

Done, and thanks for your time, folks.

I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences with AES/EBU output from any other products. Is it just a bad interface?

Supercreep said:
Done, and thanks for your time, folks.

I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences with AES/EBU output from any other products. Is it just a bad interface?

Never.....

DJL said:
Well, this really isn't the place for Alan to handle PMI-AG business. However, the new PMI-AG website is. Here's a quick link http://www.pmiaudio.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=71545ea69f855f27b2505b77d3beeec0

I consider this PMI AG Business Don. Anytime someone has an issue, I make it my business to help, but you always make it yours to try and turn it into something else.

Supercreep, so far we have heard no issues with the AES/EBU on the new twinQ, with the exception of a few units that have had some meter calibration issues. If the meter calibration was knocked out of calibration in shipping, you could be sending some 21dB of gain to the Motu but not seeing that on the meter. That gain is above digital clipping.

So, if this ends up to be the case, rest assured, we will take care of you. Just e-mail us, or better yet me directly at alan@pmiaudio.com to get this handled for you.

Thanks, Alan. I'll be taking it to a buddy's house this afternoon to try on an identical setup to eliminate the MOTU as a culprit. I'll know more tomorrow.

Again, I appreciate everyone's time and help.

Yup, it's most definitely the digital output. I a/b it on my buddy's MOTU with a different unit and the noise floor is ridiculous. 8th Street is(so far) cool about paying for shipping it back and will send out another one, per the advice of "Bob". Thanks everybody. :)

alanhyatt said:
I consider this PMI AG Business
Why are you using the hr.com forums for PMI-AG business rather than the PMI-AG website forums? For example... go read your new "PMI Audio Support" forum and you'll see Supercreep has been waiting for days for help (Since Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:34 pm)... but you're handling PMI-AG business here rather than there... why?

Last edited:
Supercreep said:
Yup, it's most definitely the digital output. I a/b it on my buddy's MOTU with a different unit and the noise floor is ridiculous. 8th Street is(so far) cool about paying for shipping it back and will send out another one, per the advice of "Bob". Thanks everybody. :)
Way cool... that's good to hear... and hopefully you won't get another lemon. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back