is this a fair price for a strat?

Ash Strats are a little more expensive. IT may actually be a Deluxe, in which case the price is not too bad. I'm not sure there was an ash American Standard. Even if there were, it was probably an upgrade, and it would have been around the price he said for the upgrade. If its THE ONE its always worth a little more.

Even if...you can remind him that $799 is MORE than the guitar cost NEW in 1994. That I know for a fact.

H2H

Kind of high for an American Standard Strat. On the new models, an Ash body is like a $100 upcharge, but it is not available in a natural finish (this year). If that guitar speaks to you, it will be worth it TO YOU. If on the other hand you're still looking, see the for sale section.... :)

Rule number one, don't believe anything a salesman tells you unless you know him.
Rule number two, refer to rule number one.

Nick The Man said:
you better buy that before it goes...... or eles your gonna regret it
Yeah I think your right... the only problem is that I live an hour away from there and I don't know when the next time I can go down there is.

dragonworks said:
Rule number one, don't believe anything a salesman tells you unless you know him.
Rule number two, refer to rule number one.
I don't trust them, thats why I ask you guys. :D

I went to GC and bought what I thought was, and led to believe was, a new MIM strat. Had all the paperwork etc. I stripped it down cause I wanted to have a natural finish and found a huge crack running through it. I brought it back and the manager took the recipt and came back and said there was nothing he could do because it was a used guitar. Sure enough, I looked on the sales reciept and there in little letters was "used". There wasn't much I could do but never spend another dime in GC.

If it is a 1998 -1999 American Deluxe with an ash body, the low condition price would be $950 and high of $1,050 according to the Vintage Guitar Book I am looking at.

allrics said:
If it is a 1998 -1999 American Deluxe with an ash body, the low condition price would be $950 and high of $1,050 according to the Vintage Guitar Book I am looking at.
I think it is an american standard. That is what it says on the tag. I do believe they made American standards in natural ash finish too. Can you tell me what the book says for that? I might go get the guitar today so your quick response would be very appriciated.

O.K. the book says low price of $600 to high price of $750 for a 1990 to 1999 American Standard.
Good luck.

Sorry it does not. The only thing it says is American Standard Strat 1986 -2000. 1986-1989 = $700-$900
1989 Mary Kaye Limited Edition = $850 - $950
1990 -1999 $600-$750
1995 Limited edition matching headstock $700-$800.

Like I said before, the American Deluxe mentions the "premium alder or ash body"
1998 -1999 Transparent finish on ash body= $950-$1,050
1998-1999 Various colors= $850-$950.

Have you posted on the Fender Forum? Maybe they might know some more.

Do you have the serial number?

can you get anyone who knows his woods to go with you to confirm it is ash.
I wouldn't take the salesmans word for it and if that is one of the selling points and it is not ash, then you can surely get him to knock the price down? Or get it in writing that it is ash then take it somewhere and find out. If not go back and raise a stink and get some money back.

Well I went there and bought the guitar. I got them to knock the price down $100 so I decided to go for it. When I first walked in the guitar was in a different spot then where it had been in previous visits. I thought they had sold it. I felt a lot of regret. Then I found it. I realized that even if I was overpaying for the guitar I still really wanted it and would regret it if I didn't. So there is a happy ending to this story. Thanks for all of your help everybody.

way to go... I don't think you'll regret your purchase...

and DON'T continue looking around to see if you could have bought it cheaper.

You buy the guitars that you "want" and that say...."take me, I'm yours!!"

I won't have access to a camera until at least next weekend, and I think I have a gig in some town far away too so it might be a while for pictures, but I will get some up when I can...

Price seems high. I bought a 2005 Anerican Strat at Guitar Center Hollywood several months ago for my 13-year-old. ASKING price was like $800 against a $1300 "list". I offered the manager $699 WITH a deluxe Fender gig bag (about 50 bucks) thrown in. He thought about it for 10 seconds and said O.K.

sub006 said:
Price seems high. I bought a 2005 Anerican Strat at Guitar Center Hollywood several months ago for my 13-year-old. ASKING price was like $800 against a $1300 "list". I offered the manager $699 WITH a deluxe Fender gig bag (about 50 bucks) thrown in. He thought about it for 10 seconds and said O.K.
Well I bought it and I like it so....

Back