Is my SM57 broken??

Docaroo

Hi guy, I just bought a new SM57 from a reputable online site and I have a feeling it might be broke...

The volume output from it is extremely low - and I mean that I have to have my Firebox Gain turned up to 60 (full) of turned up to 45ish with the mic +12dB switch on!

I'm pretty sure this isn't normal as it can't pick up sounds more than 10 inches away from it terribly well (these are far too quiet).

Is it shagged?

What source? Dynamic mics generally have lower outputs than condensers. The gain you are supplying should be plenty, but you might need to move the mic closer to the source for better results.

Reactions: NL5
yep i did the wires are soldered on securely... i knew it had a much lower output but I had this thing right infront of my stack speaker cone with the volume cranked pretty high - and it still seemed to be a fairly quiet output!!

It may be fine.... just wondering if it was normal to be so low!

Docaroo said:
yep i did the wires are soldered on securely... i knew it had a much lower output but I had this thing right infront of my stack speaker cone with the volume cranked pretty high - and it still seemed to be a fairly quiet output!!

It may be fine.... just wondering if it was normal to be so low!
That doesn't sound right. Mine will pick up acoustic guitar from about 12" away with a meaty signal with gain around 60. Does the sound seem right? Is it garbled or distorted? Hmm, maybe the transformer is defective. I'd send it back.

Reactions: NL5
I tell you what guys, I'll post an audio clip later on today and tell you the extra settings I used to give you some idea!!

Thanks for all the feedback...

Docaroo said:
Hi guy, I just bought a new SM57 from a reputable online site and I have a feeling it might be broke...

The volume output from it is extremely low - and I mean that I have to have my Firebox Gain turned up to 60 (full) of turned up to 45ish with the mic +12dB switch on!

I'm pretty sure this isn't normal as it can't pick up sounds more than 10 inches away from it terribly well (these are far too quiet).

Is it shagged?

YES it is broken. Send it back and get a good mic. Try an SM7 or a 421.

what makes you think 57s are stage mics?
get some sort of knowledge about recording before providing advice!

Last edited:
Well here's an update guys.... I'm quite handy with a soldering Iron so I just decided to remove the solder connections, and re-attach and guess what - it works!

I dunno what the heck was goign on? Anyone any ideas?? Anyway... doesn't matter now problem solver.

And I dunno what you are on about MCI SM57 is great for use a guitar mic in studio work - especially for my application which is Power Metal and consists of extremely powerfully distorted guitars that need to be important in the mix!

glad you got it working. maybe it had been soldered cold (connectors not heated up with the iron before attaching wire).
just realised why MCI thinks its a stage mic. he gone on www.soundslive.co.uk and seen it under mics in the PA section. fool

Docaroo said:
Well here's an update guys.... I'm quite handy with a soldering Iron so I just decided to remove the solder connections, and re-attach and guess what - it works!

I dunno what the heck was goign on? Anyone any ideas?? Anyway... doesn't matter now problem solver.

And I dunno what you are on about MCI SM57 is great for use a guitar mic in studio work - especially for my application which is Power Metal and consists of extremely powerfully distorted guitars that need to be important in the mix!

Sounds like a cold solder joint.....those dang Mexicans.

nuttin to worry about thought, although I feel sorry for people who don't know how to solder, etc but get this happening to them!

vintagetobes said:
what makes you think 57s are stage mics?
get some sort of knowledge about recording before providing advice!

Because Shure DESIGNED the SM-57 to BE A STAGE MIC.

It is DESIGNED for LIVE APPLICATIONS

Read Shure's application list.

I have plenty of knowledge about recording and anyone who thinks that an SM-57 is NOT intended for live applications has not 1 ounce of recording experience.

vintagetobes said:
glad you got it working. maybe it had been soldered cold (connectors not heated up with the iron before attaching wire).
just realised why MCI thinks its a stage mic. he gone on www.soundslive.co.uk and seen it under mics in the PA section. fool

Pull head out of you-know-where and read post above.

Thank-you.

MCI2424 said:
No. I don't use any SM-57s as they are stage mics. All my mics are studio mics

Get it?

I don't think YOU "Get it"!

Read my post again.

I may not have your superior recording skills (that we have yet to hear!), but, it would appear that I pay a LOT more attention to fine details! ;)

I wonder who gets the better results...................

Damn...I'm gonna have to throw all my SM57's away now! Maybe I can use the SM58's instead :rolleyes:

Back