Is my new bass amp a lemon?

BluesJunkie

I just bought a new Behringer BX1200, and I noticed a buzzy kind of sound in certain situations. It sounds like I'm pushing the speaker too hard.

Right now I'm using a piece-of-crap 70's Epiphone bass with humbuckers. I've been using the amp master volume on about 2 or 3 (haven't had a chance to crank it yet), and the gain on about 2. If I'm using the neck pickup on the bass and have the mids and treble around 5 or lower, no problems. Everything is perfectly clean. However, the more treble and mids I have, either by amp eq or pickup selection, the worse the buzz is.

The buzz is limited to low notes like open A and most the notes on the E string. Also, I can play softly and avoid the buzz altogether in any situation, but if I play hard, it's Buzz City.

I'm totally new to bass amps. So, is this to be expected, or did I get a lemon that needs to be returned?

It sounds like the speakers voice coil is fried.

Definately take it back where you bought it and have them replace it. You DO NOT want a new amp that does that.

although I agree with eyes, could the buzz be vibrational in nature; as in loose hardware or other pieces?

Pet Peeve.

Too many people accept shoddy workmanship nowadays. We sit and take whatever people sell us. I say take it back no matter what. If it's not busted, who cares? You aren't happy. Send it back if you ordered it online and demand they pay shipping. If it was a store, ask them why they think it's doing this, but leave it with them and make sure you get something you're happy with.

I would take it back. If the amp can`t reliably sustain 50% of it`s output capacity without breaking up, its got serious problems. Either a bad speaker, warped frame, loose baffle, loose screws, or bad preamp/output stage.

Back