What EQ settings should I set my amp to for a 50's-60's Rock tone?

One such guitar legend is David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. Gilmour’s iconic guitar solos and atmospheric textures were brought to life through his use of Ampeg amps, particularly the Reverberocket. The amp’s warm and lush tones perfectly complemented Gilmour’s emotive playing style and became an integral part of Pink Floyd’s sonic landscape.
Joe Walsh, known for his work with the Eagles and as a solo artist, is another guitarist who has embraced Ampeg amps. Walsh’s fiery guitar solos and bluesy riffs were enhanced by the vintage-inspired tones of the Reverberocket and other Ampeg models. His distinct sound and dynamic playing style have solidified his place among the guitar greats.
Ampeg amps have also found their way into the hands of numerous rock musicians, adding power and intensity to their performances.
One notable example is Joan Jett, whose raw and rebellious sound was fueled by the aggressive tones of Ampeg amps. Jett’s iconic guitar riffs and powerful stage presence were amplified by the high-gain capabilities of Ampeg models, allowing her to carve out her place in the male-dominated world of rock ‘n’ roll.
Another rock legend who relied on Ampeg amps is Pete Townshend of The Who. Townshend’s dynamic playing style and explosive stage presence were perfectly complemented by the high-powered and punchy tones of Ampeg amps. His iconic windmill guitar strokes and massive power chords were brought to life through the sonic capabilities of Ampeg. Guitarists like Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains and Daron Malakian of System of a Down have relied on the Ampeg V Series to unleash their sonic onslaught. These amps have the power and aggression needed to cut through the mix and make a statement.

I get that, but then I also get those bands who buy the guitar and the amp, and the pedals and sound totally different from the person they want to emulate. The person picked stuff because it works for them - that doesn't mean the exact setting will make you sound like them? A generic 50s/60s sound is fine, but it's so difficult to emulate an individual person.

I saw him twice, ampegs, I just did a quick search and from what I read you are correct but both times I saw him he was using an ampeg?
Of course the other thing to realize is that many artists don't just buy an amp and a guitar. There are some exceptions, like Edge and Brian May with their stacks of AC30s, and Steve Vai with his Legacy amps, BB King with Lucille. Rory Gallagher's Strat.

But most times, you'll see them changing gear over time. Joe Walsh used to endorse Carvin, even using a BelAir 50W 212 on stage when I saw him a couple of times. He also endorsed the CT6 guitar, but in reality when he was on the stage, he played 4 or 5 different guitars. Only one was the Carvin.

Musicians will use whatever suits their fancy! Guitar players are among the worst. Guitars are cheap compared to buying keyboards. How many keyboard players have a dozen different Hammonds and Leslies in the bedroom? I know of guys who have a dozen Les Pauls, or a dozen Strats.

Of course the other thing to realize is that many artists don't just buy an amp and a guitar. There are some exceptions, like Edge and Brian May with their stacks of AC30s, and Steve Vai with his Legacy amps, BB King with Lucille. Rory Gallagher's Strat.

But most times, you'll see them changing gear over time. Joe Walsh used to endorse Carvin, even using a BelAir 50W 212 on stage when I saw him a couple of times. He also endorsed the CT6 guitar, but in reality when he was on the stage, he played 4 or 5 different guitars. Only one was the Carvin.

Musicians will use whatever suits their fancy! Guitar players are among the worst. Guitars are cheap compared to buying keyboards. How many keyboard players have a dozen different Hammonds and Leslies in the bedroom? I know of guys who have a dozen Les Pauls, or a dozen Strats.
Sometimes they will play what they are given by companies to endorse, then kick them to the curb like Clarence White and Ovation acoustics, Or Hendrix and Sunn amps. I have played through a lot of amps and the VT22 kicked all their asses for what I was playing at the time. I would still use one if they weren't so damn heavy and loud.

There's a story about Van Halen after they got signed but before they became a headline act. They went on various tours opening for other groups. So they were opening for Ted Nugent and Ted never heard anything like Eddie's playing. He wanted to find out how Eddie was getting that sound so one day at sound check he gets Eddie to play his rig. After changing the gain structure so that his hollowbody wouldn't feed back like a beast, Eddie, playing a hollowbody through Fender amps, sounded exactly like Eddie Van Halen. So Ted picks up the Frankenstrat through the Plexi, and the paraphrased quote was, "I sounded like me."

Back