HR Members guitar design and build thread

I'm pretty much going to let it slide at weekends for the reasons above. On Monday I hope to have some more input on body outlines and then we should fly from there. So far I've allowed 24 hours on any vote so that all timezones get a fair crack..

Got any thoughts on style and type, semi, chambred, solid etc...?

LIke I said earlier, I'm kinda partial to the model 6 styling. Something else that has always stuck out in my mind is the two-tone wood finish of some of the Carvin basses. Sweet lookin'!

Any thought to tuners yet? How about custom fret markers?

BTW - my less than enthusiastic outburst last night was due to Cheri putting me thru hell before she'd let me mount her: From 7 til 11 she made me dance to, sing, and listen to mind-splitting rubbish. Think Beach Boys, Stewart, Gretchen Wilson, Bangles, etc. OMG! :wtf::facepalm::(

LIke I said earlier, I'm kinda partial to the model 6 styling. Something else that has always stuck out in my mind is the two-tone wood finish of some of the Carvin basses. Sweet lookin'!

BTW - my less than enthusiastic outburst last night was due to Cheri putting me thru hell before she'd let me mount her: From 7 til 11 she made me dance to, sing, and listen to mind-splitting rubbish. Think Beach Boys, Stewart, Gretchen Wilson, Bangles, etc. OMG! :wtf::facepalm::(

We haven't got as far as tuners and finish yet. In the grand scheme of things this thread is still only a few days old. Give us a chance.:D

We haven't got as far as tuners and finish yet. In the grand scheme of things this thread is still only a few days old. Give us a chance.:D

yeah, but when do talk about tuners, we definitely have to give serious consideration to Locking Tuners. :) No guitar should be without them. :)

I'm pretty much going to let it slide at weekends for the reasons above. On Monday I hope to have some more input on body outlines and then we should fly from there. So far I've allowed 24 hours on any vote so that all timezones get a fair crack..

Got any thoughts on style and type, semi, chambred, solid etc...?

My vote is for a solid body similar to a Jackson soloist with an arch top. Preferably flamed or quilted maple.

Well ...... I'm kinda for the chambered idea but I also have to admit to a fondness for really spectacular looking wood. Going be a full on carve if you try to make it chambered with a highly figured top. won't it?

Of course ...... figured wood doesn't fit the surf style at all ..... so chambered then. And one of those cool pastel colors ....

So now we have a vote for a strat clone..:) Ok lets see if others want to head that way. I'm going to put up a vote on the styles so far discussed so we can bring this back into focus. Probably Strat clone based on Charval model 6. Les Paul style based off the LP Special. A surf style based off the Jackson Surfcaster. I'll check back and make sure we haven't missed any other outlines that we might want to add to the mix and post a better break down latter.

My vote is for a solid body similar to a Jackson soloist with an arch top. Preferably flamed or quilted maple.

The Jackson soloist idea, that kind of falls into guttergrips strat clone idea yes? We can discuss the arched, chambred, woods etc,, after we have the outline for the body style. Does that sound reasonable? I've kind of lumped all the "surf" style suggestions into one as well..

I'll add your suggestions to the mix once we have come down on a body outline and tinkered it to suit. I think the consensus so far is to not clone but to draw inspiration and modify to our collective taste. I can do a straight ahead copy but would prefer to do something more distinctive or unique..

yeah, but when do talk about tuners, we definitely have to give serious consideration to Locking Tuners. :) No guitar should be without them. :)

So you want me to add useless features with no regard to cost. Is that what you are saying:D

If you guys want locking tuners on it you can have em. Makes absolutely no difference to me..

Well ...... I'm kinda for the chambered idea but I also have to admit to a fondness for really spectacular looking wood. Going be a full on carve if you try to make it chambered with a highly figured top. won't it?

Of course ...... figured wood doesn't fit the surf style at all ..... so chambered then. And one of those cool pastel colors ....

Chambered and carved top is no problem. More work yes but not a problem. Surf style and pretty wood could work. Maybe....

While a surf design wouldn't be my first choice personally, Here's another design to throw into the mix.

Attachments

• SC-2.jpg
    SC-2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 23
My vote is something along the lines of the Surfcaster, but spice it up a bit. Like make the curves slightly more dramatic, maybe? I'm not really digging the chambered or hollow body idea. Keep as much wood as possible.

I hear Gibson just got rid of a bunch of good wood :D

how about a mustang special? i got one and the 24" scale is a pleasure. ive forgotten about all my other guitars.

Attachments

• DV016_Jpg_Large_H72864_002_001_lake_placid_blue_rw.jpg
    DV016_Jpg_Large_H72864_002_001_lake_placid_blue_rw.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 39
Lets get back to it.

So far we have three possible directions in which to go.

1 - Surf style possibly chambered or hollowbody
2 - Les Paul special style possibly chambered or hollowbody
3 - Strat clone style.

We'll take votes on each. If anyone wants some info on where we might take each design I'll point them to the relevant post. There's been far too much chat to wade back now and link to them specifically.

Once we have come down on a body outline style we'll start taking a look at how to tinker with it and also move on to timbers..

I'm gonna vote for surf-style since I think that's give us the most freedom to come up with something a bit different.
And I'm gonna vote as if I'll be buying the guitar so I'm also gonna vote chambered, mainly because none of my 15 guitars are chambered and so if I were buying another I'd want something I didn't already have and chambered opens up the possibility of getting a unique sound.

My preference is also for a chambered or semi-hollow. I think I'm the only proponent of the double-cut LP Special as a starting point but I'm voting that way anyway.

Back