Les Paul Junior group build thread : Tools

muttley600

Banned
This thread will deal with all matters relating to tools required for the build and discussions on which ones are essential, nice to have, a waste of time, etc.. It will also cover all those that can be made and options that are available if you can't afford or want to splash out on a whole workshop. You don't have to.. There are more ways to skin a cat than by stuffing it full of cream so to speak.

This thread will be a participation thread so please feel free to discuss or ask and questions in the body of the thread. The build thread when it happens will be moderated to include only information relating to the build with questions directed to a separate thread.

Tools.

You can never have enough tools.. However you do not need an extensive collection of tools to start out. Perhaps the first piece of advice I can give is that you should always buy the very best you can afford. Cheap tools are definitely a false economy. Your tools will last you a lifetime if you choose well and look after them. Cheap tools not only do not last but will often mess up the job you are trying to accomplish or at the very least make it a lot harder to do well. There are some occasions when you can get a decent tool for a lot less than you'd think but if you are not sure or in doubt ask here. Chances are some one has already tried it.

I have 30 years’ worth of tool collecting kicking about in my workshop and going through them to pick out the few essentials is quite a task. What I have done is to break down the task into categories and I'll list those that I consider essential, those that I would be beneficial and those that you can get if you really want or come across them at a good price.

Classification

I have always considered tools to be broken down into distinct categories. There are exceptions and there is a degree of crossover but broadly speaking you can divide woodworking tools into the following, Measuring, marking, clamping, cutting and supporting. That’s how I intend to approach this. I will outline each category and give some examples of what you may need. As I said there will be exceptions that don't fit neatly into each category and this list is in no way exhaustive and I am bound to miss some so just chime in where appropriate. Many will already have a lot of basic tools and many will have some specific tools. If you do, great use them where you want. If you are starting out this will helpfully give you some clear guidelines on what to look for first. Most of the tools I list as essential are in daily use in my workshop and always to hand. My go to tools if you will. I'm sure JCH will also have a similar list which hopefully he can post..

Measuring.

You'll definitely be needing to measure stuff and measure it accurately. Most measuring on a guitar build goes from fractions of an inch or mm to just over a metre. The picture below shows a selection of basic measuring tools I have to hand and use daily.

measuring.jpg

I also have a bunch of specific scale rules for fret positions, for nut spacing’s etc. You don't need them. You can mark up your own when the time comes. For now get a selection of steel rules.

Essential.

Ideally both metric and imperial. Most are marked both mine are also marked in both eights and tenths of an inch to accommodate US and EU standards.

A one metre steel rule

A one foot steel rule,

A six inch steel rule.

You can often find these cheaply at boot sales, yard sales etc...

Dividers, A good set is a real must for accurately marking and transferring measurements. If you get just one set get the larger style.

Callipers. They don't have to be digital but it is a real bonus if they are. They are not expensive. The little plastic ones in the picture are a few quid or dollars. The digital are only about 10-15 dollars. I'd put the plastic on the must have list and the digital on the beneficial list.

Beneficial

Sliding Set square is on the nice to have list but not essential. ditto the feeler gauges. Pick them up if you see them and you have some spare cash..

The throat callipers are only needed if you are doing graduated tops. Nice to have but not essential. They are expensive and you can make up a substitute quite easily.

Marking.

Marking accurately is also essential. Remember measure twice cut once? Well you also need to mark just once and it needs to be right.

marking.jpg

Essential

Squares

You are going to need a few squares in various sizes. I have a load and have just shown the smaller ones here. You'll notice they all look rather old. They are and they are all spot on 90 degrees. I trust them and they will get used ahead of any newer shiny one that’s hanging about.

If you are picking up a square test it before you buy it. Easy to do, just mark a line with it on a square edge and flip the square through 180 degrees and remark. If the lines match up then it's true. If its even slightly out don't get it.

I would say that essential are a 3" and a 9". You can make larger squares above 12" so don't splash out on them unless you want to.

Scribes and knives. As well as soft pencils you will need a scribe and a centre punch for woodwork these can just be old bradles sharpened up. As long as it marks a clean point. At least one sharp marking knife is essential. Later I will cover making one of these from an old hack saw blade. Worth doing as it can be used for everything from marking to veneer cutting. I learned how to make them when I apprenticed and I still use them daily.

Beneficial.

Adjustable bevel.

A real handy tool but not essential.

Marking gauge.

Handy tool if you have one. You can make suitable replacements so not on the essential list.

Cutting

By far the biggest category for us to be concerned with so stay with me.....

Lets start with Planes and knives.

planesknives.jpg

You are going to need to get used to using a plane. Nothing will square up a piece of wood better than a hand plane and if you intend to get good at this you need to get good and setting and sharpening planes.

I just reached out and grabbed a small selection of the ones I have. Of those the most essential is the low angle block plane closely followed by the No.5 (both in the middle row). All planes are nice to have so if you see them in junk sales for a decent price get them. It's a good idea to check they are true and adjustable but those things can be fixed with effort so if not bargain the price down. If you are to splash out on one then get the low angle block plane. In conjunction with our router you will be able to get a real good square edge when needed. The best on the market in our price range are Stanley, look out for Bailey and Record on the second hand market.

You can see a selection of Japanese knives and luthier knives. Not essential but if you see any good steel knives that can be sharpened pick em up. The knife at the top with the wooden stock is the one I will be making..

Chisels..

To start get 1/2" , 1/4" then if budget allows 1" and 3/8"

You should be able to get a decent Stanley set reasonably cheap. Chisels is an area where you really do get what you pay for. I have several hundreds and I always go back to about a dozen or so that hold their edge.

You can often pick up good chisels at junk sales. With work you can polish and grind them to make a really good tool.

The stoning and sharpening needs a post on its own... But I've chucked up a picture of a few of the stones I use. More on that later, chisels need to be sharp.

chiselsandstones.jpg

Saws

This is an area where you are going to have to get a specialized tool if you want to do your own fret slots. JCH is getting a preslotted board so if that’s your option you OK with a decent back saw and maybe a Tenon saw. If you want the slotting saw then you need a .22 kerf saw or the ability to set that yourself.

saws.jpg

Files and Rasps.

You will need some or these to get the neck sorted and also to handle template work and finishing edges. You can seek these out second hand as well.

The essential ones would be a half round fine cut rasp and flat fine cut rasp and a flat 6 or 9" fine cut metal file. There are a few other files we will use and adapt when it comes to fretting work. More on them later.

FILESRASPS.jpg

You are going to need a selection of drill bits and a drill. Variable speed is desirable.

The only one that you may not have to hand will be the 12 or 13mm for the bridge posts..

drillbits.jpg

Clamping,

Clamps is something you are going to have to bite the bullet and get some decent ones. The most used ones you will need will be 6 or 9" push up clamps. There are a load of ways of clamping stuff that doesn't require expensive clamps and perhaps the best way to cover that is to describe them as we go. Just look to get a basic set of push up clamps for now. A few pics of clamps below to give you an idea of what can be done and my basic rack of push up clamps..

clamps.jpg

As an example of what you can do if you need to. The other day I needed a small toggle clamp for a jig. I could find nothing suitable off the shelf so set about making one....

Everything is possible..

clamp1.jpg

clamp2.jpg

This list of tools is not intended to be exhaustive nor is a definitive list. Every tool listed has substitutes and with a little ingenuity you can work around not having them. This is intended a guide to point you in the right place to start. Others will add I'm sure and I will comment on whether I think them suitable of desirable. That’s the beauty of all this there is no one way or one size fits all.

Next I shall move on to the router and some of the bits and attachments you WILL be needing.

Last edited:
The eagle eyed JCH has just mentioned to me that I have not included cabinet scrapers on the list.

Correct. However you shouldn't need to buy cabinet scrapers as it is possible to make them from old saw blades or any high tension steel that you have laying around and can cut or grind. If you want to get some go ahead. They are cheap and at some point I will be writing up a post on how best to sharpen and strop them. Many people have trouble with them. There is a simple and easy way to do it that produces consistent results. More later when we get to that part..;) In the mean time here is a shot of a few made from old saw blades.. The triangular file shaped tool is a burnisher made from an old file ground clean and polished. Look out for an old 6" round file or triangular file at a junk sale and snag it. You will need one when the time comes... Should cost coppers but the steel needs to be old and hard..

scrapers.jpg

An excellent list, nice description. I really can't think of much to add for the basics, but there are a few things that come to mind. On the measuring tools I'd add an adjustable protractor, and for the marking tools, maybe a set of french curves, and a carpenter's scribe. It's also handy to have a few assorted spring clamps. A hammer with plastic heads is also very handy for fretting. These are things that I use regularly.

Is that a contour gauge on the far right of the marking photo? I've got a smaller one that I use when shaping necks for reference.

It's amazing how sharp you can get your tools with water stones. I donate blood regularly.

An excellent list, nice description. I really can't think of much to add for the basics, but there are a few things that come to mind. On the measuring tools I'd add an adjustable protractor, and for the marking tools, maybe a set of french curves, and a carpenter's scribe. It's also handy to have a few assorted spring clamps. A hammer with plastic heads is also very handy for fretting. These are things that I use regularly.

Is that a contour gauge on the far right of the marking photo? I've got a smaller one that I use when shaping necks for reference.

It's amazing how sharp you can get your tools with water stones. I donate blood regularly.

As for me I use a protractor for drawing but always use an adjustable bevel for marking angles.

Spring clamps, cloths pegs, any sorts of spring grips are useful. You can never have enough clamps and can improvise loads and make loads also. I was going to put up some descriptions of how to make a cam clamps as well as other clamps that can be made easily like spool clamps etc...

Yeh thats a contour gauge but I hardly if ever use one these days. With digital photography so cheap I snap and print curves mostly or if I want a precise neck profile at any point I use dental casting clay to make a template and work from that.

Yep water stones are my favorite for getting the face and bevel really keen. I keep them stroped with a very fine diamond stone and leather strop. You could do an entire thread on sharpening and not cover everything. Been doing it all my life and still learning..

What about nut files? They are very pricey.
I've seen experienced guys say:
You can make them from feeler gauges for cheap...
You can do most anything with 3 sizes...
You can use jeweler files....
And finally you need a complete set of high quality files so bow up and spend the money if you want good results.

What's the lowdown on this tool?

What about nut files? They are very pricey.
I've seen experienced guys say:
You can make them from feeler gauges for cheap...
You can do most anything with 3 sizes...
You can use jeweler files....
And finally you need a complete set of high quality files so bow up and spend the money if you want good results.

What's the lowdown on this tool?

I had planned to cover Luthier specific tools down the line but here's a brief take..

If you intend to do a lot of work cutting nuts and fretting you'd definitely be advised to get a selection of dedicated tools. I'll post up some options later in the process.

As this is intended to be built on a budget and also as a demonstration of what can be done I hope to show how you can improvise those tools.

All your fretting work can be done with modified files and many really good luthiers prefer that. My personal favorite for crowning is a fine cut triangular file that I have ground the edge so it is "safe". I have all the crowning files out there but keep coming back to that. I'll often use a combination by rough crowning with the fret crowning file and finish by hand with the modified file as it gives me greater control. The fret ends can be done with a simple block and file that I will walk through later. No need to splash out, you can make one as good as anything you can buy.

Onto nut files, as I said if you intend to do a lot then you will benefit from investing in dedicated files. For a few nuts or as an introduction you can cut a nut with any of the methods you mention. It does take longer but it's entirely possible. I have a load of needle files and in combination with string offcuts stuck on to blocks of wood you can maker a file that will polish a slot once cut with a fine saw or needle file. They most important thing with any nuit slot is that it is cut a nad over width and to the right depth. Also that it is polished smooth.

I've just grabbed a shot of a few nut files that Hosco sells and a few of the crowning files. Those will set you back a few hundred and a good investment if you need to work quick which I do. The rest are a bunch of needle files and some old strings glued onto old piano keys which will do the job just as well with care but take a lot longer. I've never tried the feeler gauge trick but I know others that have has success with it. Again it will work but takes care and a little longer. You would still need to use string files like those below to polish the finished slot.

nutfiles.jpg

I'm going to be attempting to cut my first guitar nut in the not too distant future. Thanks mutt
Sorry I sidetracked the thread...I didn't know luthier specific tool were going to be covered later

Last edited:
I'm going to be attempting to cut my first guitar nut in the not too distant future. Thanks mutt
Sorry I sidetracked the thread...I didn't know luthier specific tool were going to be covered later

Not side tracked mate, thats exactly the sort of thing this thread is for. I'll run through a basic nut cut sometime in the next few days.

What about the power tools?

In this instance I'm guessing it will be a router and drill only. I'm going to write that up later.

If anyone has other power tools they would use and want to discuss, thats fine but I wont be using anything but hand tools a drill and a router on this build.

In this instance I'm guessing it will be a router and drill only. I'm going to write that up later.

If anyone has other power tools they would use and want to discuss, thats fine but I wont be using anything but hand tools a drill and a router on this build.

How are you cutting out the body and neck? Are you going to hand saw a LP Jr body and neck? :confused:

I just figured a band saw would be one of the "must have" cutting tools.

How are you cutting out the body and neck? Are you going to hand saw a LP Jr body and neck? :confused:

I just figured a band saw would be one of the "must have" cutting tools.

I have two bandsaws and would normally rough out the shape with that. In this case I will be routing it. Takes longer and requires a bit of care but it's possible.

If you had a bandsaw that was man enough to do it then I'd suggest using it.

A bandsaw is definitely desirable and for those planning on doing a few builds I'd seriously recommend getting one.

I have two bandsaws and would normally rough out the shape with that. In this case I will be routing it. Takes longer and requires a bit of care but it's possible.

If you had a bandsaw that was man enough to do it then I'd suggest using it.

I see. Clearly I know nothing about building a guitar, just from pics that I've seen, I just assumed the way to do it was to bandsaw the rough shape, and then clean it up with one of those spindle sander things.

I see. Clearly I know nothing about building a guitar, just from pics that I've seen, I just assumed the way to do it was to bandsaw the rough shape, and then clean it up with one of those spindle sander things.

Thats one way and a perfectly good way. I always use a router rather than a spindle sander. Rough out on a bandsaw a route the final shape from a template. Thats more accurate. Spindle sanders can eat wood quickly unless you have a template bearing and then you might as well use a router as it cuts cleaner.

This thread isn't linked in the sticky (or I just can't see it).

Third link down under "Sub Threads" I need to go back and rename the links.... Make it easier to read them.

EDIT: Just renamed all the threads so they have thread titles not url as link. Thought vBulletin did that as default. Obviously not...

Should be easier to follow now.

Last edited:
Thats one way and a perfectly good way. I always use a router rather than a spindle sander. Rough out on a bandsaw a route the final shape from a template. Thats more accurate. Spindle sanders can eat wood quickly unless you have a template bearing and then you might as well use a router as it cuts cleaner.

Ahhh yes, template. That makes perfect sense.

Routers.

There has already been a discussion on these which is linked in the sticky thread. This post is intended to start you on the road to finding the best router for your budget and for guitar building. I will also cover some of the basic bits you will need for the project and some of the router fittings that should come bundled and what to look for..

Basically routers fall into two categories and two sizes. 1/2 inch Collet and 1/4 inch collet. The collet is the part that grabs the router bit shank and there are advantages and disadvantages to each size. Half inch is way bigger, the collet alone is a good deal heavier than a 1/4 inch and that alone gives better stability for heavy cuts. The 1/4 inch gives you better control over the speed of the cut and the precision of the fine cuts we are going to need to do. 1/22 collets are also less prone to chatter and burning due to the better heat dissipation and the bits are less likely to move in the collet owing to the greater surface area. I would also recommend looking out for a router with a dual shape base. ie one that has the flat edge like the 1/4" ELU above. They are better for working off a fixed fence and also better for designing and building jigs off of.

That all sounds like 1/2" is the way to go? Well maybe not. 1/4" are cheap[er for a comparative quality, the bits are cheaper also and they are much easier to learn the basic principles of routing on. When a half inch router slips it makes a much bigger mess than a 1/4 inch.

That begs the question can I do all the work with a 1/4"? Yes you can but it will require a bit more thinking and careful jigging. Ideally you would want both but for this project I will restrict myself to 1/4".

We have covered brands in another thread but if you want to put up a link to any specific router I'll give as much of an opinion on it's suitability as I'm able. When looking for your router there are two types commonly available, plunge and fixed. Many will tell you that a fixed router is more stable. I don't hold with that but others do. A plunge router is definitely more versatile and allows you to cut more precisely due to the ability to drop into the cut at your own pace. I'd go with a plunge router everytime.

Look for variable speed. We will be cutting with different sized bits and making cuts on different timbers. A variable speed will allow us to minimize burning, chattering and breakout as we can control the speed that the bit is spinning at. Look for slow start/stop. That helps with ease of handling and also prolongs the life of the router and the bits. Micro adjustment is preferred but not essential. If your router comes with guide bushings aka top hat fittings so much the better but they are not expensive to buy so don't let that decide for you. Some manufacturers bundle fittings to sell inferior quality tools. Most routers also come with a fence. I rarely use the ones I have.

Picture below shows my two go to routers. I/2 inch jobbing plunge router and the fantastic ELU 1/4"..

routers..jpg

Router bits.

Pro Tip. DO NOT BUY CHEAP ROUTER BITS.

They will not last and the temptation is to use them when they are dull or chipped and the results will always disappoint. I'll let JCH advise on what the best range are in the US but here look for Trend cutters. They may seem expensive but if you look after them they will outlast a dozen of the cheaper bits and you will be well in pocket.

The most used bit in my shop are the template profilers and and a 7mm straight bit for the truss rod channel. If you are fitting a box section you can get a router bit the same diametre as your box section. Or you can make two cuts with a smaller bit. The best all round template profiler for a 1/4" router would be 12mm bearing with as much depth of cut as you can get for your budget.

My favorite is Trends professional range of profilers but their hobby range is good too and cheaper..

Also pickup a 10mm diameter straight cutter if you can with at least an inch of cut.. They are useful for all sorts of routing jobs. A wide diameter cutter is also useful. A 12 diametre cutter is handy for hogging out stuff.

If you intend to do binding channels with a router you will need to get some bottom bearing cutters and different sized bearings. More on that if anyone wants info.

A selection of router bits are shown below. The ones you are after are on the bottom row...

router bits.jpg

Router Sled

I built my original router sled a couple of years ago after looking at a few different designs. I added some things to it to make it more versatile. The elaboration resulted in a bigger, more cumbersome jig. This time around, I've built one that is more conventional, simpler, and smaller.

The materials consist of some 1/2" cabinet grade plywood, 1 1/2" square tubing. and some oak strips.

It's important to make the rails for a sled out of straight , stable material. I had the steel tubing that was left over from a job, and thought that it would be about ideal for the task. I mounted them to an 18" X 32" piece of the ply. They're attached from the bottom with screws. The sled itself is plywood, and oak designed to fit over the rails.

I allowed for 2 1/4" of clearance under this one. I'll make others that are taller, or shorter when and if I need them.

A little about the router base I'm using.
I have these on two other routers so I decided to use one for this as well. These are made by Milescraft. They are seven inches in diameter. A little larger than a normal base, and very stable in comparison. The kit comes with a nice set of guide bushings that mount to the plate by a twist-lock system. I mounted the plate to a B&D router that I found at a pawn shop for $20. Although it was several years old, it had never been used, and was in perfect shape.

Amazon.com: Milescraft 1201 Base Plate / Bushing Set for Routers: Home Improvement

All Together it's a very accurate, and versatile jig that only set me back about $40 total including the router.

Back