HR Members guitar design and build thread

yeah, but when do talk about tuners, we definitely have to give serious consideration to Locking Tuners. :) No guitar should be without them. :)

Some of my favourite records wouldn't be anything like as good if they didn't have slight tuning issues - White man in Hammersmith Palais by the Clash is one that immediately springs to mind. On the other hand some of the worst songs ever committed to any form of encoded music reproduction were performed on guitars with locking nuts, bridge fine adjustment tuners, etc. They are the work of Satan. :D

I'd suggest that the lower left bout looks "pregnant". The curve needs to be smoother and start earlier. other than that I quite like the idea of a Florentine on the lower bout. I would work in profile silhouette though if possible..

Some of my favourite records wouldn't be anything like as good if they didn't have slight tuning issues - White man in Hammersmith Palais by the Clash is one that immediately springs to mind. On the other hand some of the worst songs ever committed to any form of encoded music reproduction were performed on guitars with locking nuts, bridge fine adjustment tuners, etc. They are the work of Satan. :D

I know of Mutt's severe disdain for locking tuners despite the ambivalence in his post. :) He is just not going to let me get him worked up over it. Eh, I tried. Cheers Muttley!!! :D

I know of Mutt's severe disdain for locking tuners despite the ambivalence in his post. :) He is just not going to let me get him worked up over it. Eh, I tried. Cheers Muttley!!! :D

I have no disdain for locking tuners just the people who insist they will cure problems that they can't. That and the fact that a decent set of normal tuners is just as good if not better...;)

Is this better?

Attachments

• Surf Quartet Silhouettes.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Surf Quartet.pdf
    18.6 KB · Views: 8
I have no disdain for locking tuners just the people who insist they will cure problems that they can't. That and the fact that a decent set of normal tuners is just as good if not better...;)
yeah ...... locking tuners don't have squat to do with a guitar staying in tune better. They're simply useful for tossing a string on quickly.

This is the guitar on the right with a more appropriate headstock.

Attachments

• Surf II.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 13
Still think the lower bout is out of proportion. Needs to be less and rounder on the lower bout. It's a bit too firebird to my eye..

The headstock I have some ideas for. Ton's of ideas in for I'll post later...

Just a sketch I was playin' with. And a Carvin just to show a pretty finish.

My mileage may vary! :laughings:

Attachments

• carvin.jpg
    carvin.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 29
  • sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 29
Still think the lower bout is out of proportion. Needs to be less and rounder on the lower bout. It's a bit too firebird to my eye..

The headstock I have some ideas for. Ton's of ideas in for I'll post later...

I agree with you here.

I like Milnoque's concept, especially the one on the far right. looks like a good starting point to me

Back