How to get an awesome sounding recording

Torsten Borg

Hi,

I want to share something with people starting out with their home studios that will help them. This could also be a good reminder for more experienced people.

A lot of times i hear people record a song and then being frustrated with how the song sounds. People often assume that well, it can be fixed by mixing it better, so they try to learn how to mix better or gives the recording to somebody else to mix it for them thinking it will sound a lot better after that.

It's not going to sound better, i'm sorry.

The problem appears before the mixing stage. Yes, you can always record better and then it WILL sound better. Going even further than that by changing guitar strings and having nice sounding instruments, that works too. But i want to go deeper...

If you want to make your recording sound awesome you have to go back to the SOURCE.

If your PERFORMANCE on the recording sucks, trust me, it will suck even after mixing it. You can't change that in a computer.
When you record a song, you have to make sure that the structure of the song is right, that the tempo is right, that the right guitar parts are being played.

If you have great sounding recordings, the mixing will be so much more fun and it will always sound like gold.

Hope this helps.
-T

Last edited:
Captain-obvious.jpg

This is uncharacteristically acerbic for you, Armistice old buddy. :D

One too many "I have the answers to all your unasked questions" posts from randoms. He's not wrong, it's just not anything most people don't already know....

My man Torsten's big in Finland, apparently.

---------- Update ----------

The cave turns regular people into douchebags.

'Twasn't the cave wot did it. ;)

"Torsten" is a great name though. Here in the US, that's the kind of name you'd find at some hoity-toity country club.

Oh Torsten, my good man, come hither and greet the Dutchess of Kunt when she makes her arrival on the polo grounds..

Whatever I play is the right guitar part - it's my part, I wrote it and it's always right. :)

I said that same thing at another forum one time, about how if I write something and play it then that's the way it is, and someone said, "oh yeah, well what if Jeff Beck wants to cover it? He'll do it better". I said something like "fuck no, I don't need him butchering my shit". And the place went bananas. People were blowing gaskets left and right. It was hilarious. I wasn't dogging on Jeff Beck. I was just saying that as good as he is, he can't be me better than I can. I'm the best me there is. People didn't see it that way, they went crazy, and I got banned. :laughings:

Fucking idiots.

Anyway, your comment reminded me of that. And Jeff Beck is a homo.

I said that same thing at another forum one time, about how if I write something and play it then that's the way it is, and someone said, "oh yeah, well what if Jeff Beck wants to cover it? He'll do it better". I said something like "fuck no, I don't need him butchering my shit". And the place went bananas. People were blowing gaskets left and right. It was hilarious. I wasn't dogging on Jeff Beck. I was just saying that as good as he is, he can't be me better than I can. I'm the best me there is. People didn't see it that way, they went crazy, and I got banned. :laughings:

Fucking idiots.

Anyway, your comment reminded me of that. And Jeff Beck is a homo.
Yep - You'll always be the best at your stuff. That holds true for all the people I've heard. That's what makes them - them.
And the odd time Jeff gets close to my skillz but not quite. That's ok he's still a nice guy er homo.
And they ban you when they run out of witty comebacks. Losers.

I never said he couldn't. But for all that supposedly awesome playing he does, he hasn't done anything that resonates with me.:o

Yeah, I feel the same way. I know he's brilliant etc. but he doesn't really do anything musically I'm interested in. I'm sure he could care less, however...

WOW

Jeff Beck might be a homo, but he sure can play the fuck out of a guitar.

Yeah, he's a great technician, for sure.....but honestly, I can't fucking stand that warbly shit he plays, and seems like he's really gone way off in that direction the last few years....maybe it's becuase of the chick bass player. :p

Speaking of the chick bass player...she knows her way around the neck, but that's some awful fret buzzing (I guess it's the riffs that count, not the fret buzzing)...and it's way too wanky AFA bass playing goes. I mean, maybe she should pick up the guitar instead, at least she'll be able to press the strings enough not to have the fret buzz. :)

And yea...I'm sure Beck couldn't care less what anyone thinks. :D

Back