How to get an awesome sounding recording

Don't tell Siouxsie that......
They branched away from '76/'77 punk eventually, but to start with, they were.

Well...that's what I said....:)...that they started with punk but quickly moved away from it.

Their music, that really sticks in your head, was more underground/avant-garde flavor...IMO.

Often times I'll be looking through the latest music equipment catalog in awe of the technology available today. I can actually record something in my bedroom that's good enough to just plug into a recording at a million dollar studio and have them tell me they didn't need to change a thing. Then I think.... now if they could only sell talent in a bottle.

Often times I'll be looking through the latest music equipment catalog in awe of the technology available today. I can actually record something in my bedroom that's good enough to just plug into a recording at a million dollar studio and have them tell me they didn't need to change a thing. Then I think.... now if they could only sell talent in a bottle.

That is pushing the threshold of possibilities a bit there... :)

I am a bit confused about the topic of your website. Looks like a unfinished website about printing decals and stickers. ??

Where is the news! lol

main.php

That's too cool, where did you find that?

Click on that box on your internet browser where you do a search. Type in 'Talent Booster Pedal'.

The first image is what will be the last thing anyone looking to get anything done would actually look for. That is what the pedal is for.

:)

Does it come with any type of manual?

---------- Update ----------

Is it 'effective'?

I am abusing that update crap. It needs to go...

Does it come with any type of manual?

Is it 'effective'?

I don't know, and not really.

There's an amp company here called Diamond amps, and my bandmate is pretty tight with the owner and techs there. He gets to play with all sorts of new Diamond stuff. They even hooked me up with a little 18 w amp a while back. The Diamond guys gave him the Talent Booster pedal as a joke. I don't know if it has any kind of manual.

To get a bigger sound use compression and eq and reverb to some degree in each track. Then pick tracks like the vocals and stereoize it which means that now instead of one track for vocal now you have Left, Center, Right. Now put these track into a sub group. Then put a limiter on that sub group. Now do that for Bass, Guitar, keyboards so on and so forth. Eq and limit the Mains and thats it. That is my recipe for a bigger sound. Check my song " Never Mind the Bullies" done by Benny and the Sunders on the "skabenny" youtube channel. Let me know what you think. Cheers Benny

LINK TO BIGGER SOUND

Last edited by a moderator:
To get a bigger sound use compression and eq and reverb to some degree in each track. Then pick tracks like the vocals and stereoize it which means that now instead of one track for vocal now you have Left, Center, Right. Now put these track into a sub group. Then put a limiter on that sub group. Now do that for Bass, Guitar, keyboards so on and so forth. Eq and limit the Mains and thats it. That is my recipe for a bigger sound. Check my song " Never Mind the Bullies" done by Benny and the Sunders on the "skabenny" youtube channel. Let me know what you think. Cheers Benny

Oh my, are you kidding?

Good luck man. I put link to your 'bigger' sound on your post.

Get a great mic, leave the compressor alone ,dynamics is a good thing, don't look at the waveforms,Listen!

Get a great mic, leave the compressor alone ,dynamics is a good thing, don't look at the waveforms,Listen!

I think that's a bit simplistic. While dynamics are great, compressors certainly have their place in getting a sound to behave a certain way. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a pro song (in the pop/rock vein) that didn't involve compression at some point (most likely many points).

I definitely agree with the last point though! :)

You are correct, I am being a bit simplistic, but I am a big believer in the "KISS Principle", I am not against the use of compessors, but I have heard too much compression kill the dynamics and instrument separation in songs, That's why I try not to look at wave forms too much, I find them misleading sometimes, Hearing is believing. Then again some people dig that over compressed sound.

Hi,

I want to share something with people starting out with their home studios that will help them. This could also be a good reminder for more experienced people.

A lot of times i hear people record a song and then being frustrated with how the song sounds. People often assume that well, it can be fixed by mixing it better, so they try to learn how to mix better or gives the recording to somebody else to mix it for them thinking it will sound a lot better after that.

It's not going to sound better, i'm sorry.

The problem appears before the mixing stage. Yes, you can always record better and then it WILL sound better. Going even further than that by changing guitar strings and having nice sounding instruments, that works too. But i want to go deeper...

If you want to make your recording sound awesome you have to go back to the SOURCE.

If your PERFORMANCE on the recording sucks, trust me, it will suck even after mixing it. You can't change that in a computer.
When you record a song, you have to make sure that the structure of the song is right, that the tempo is right, that the right guitar parts are being played.

If you have great sounding recordings, the mixing will be so much more fun and it will always sound like gold.

Hope this helps.
-T

That's maybe the most crucial advice congrats.

If you can record source sounds having the mix in your mind then your mix will sound better with less moves.

Record like you're mixing. Record with the final mix in your mind.

Electric guitars for example... They need some mids . If you love bassy guitars and record them then you're gonna spend time in the mix fixing them....
And the final result wont be as great as if you had spent time recording correctly!

Back