How stupid is this guy?

• I think it's cool and thus worth the risk

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • What the fuck? He's an idiot

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • You're stupid

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
nah, i just had to reply so i'd become teh "force of nature"... sorry that i had to do it over your back, but sometimes a boy has got to do what a "force of nature" would do... or something...

guhlenn:)

You passed th 500 limit yesterday. Didn't you notice. Maybe you're not so clever after all...

yeah i'm real dumb but i always telephone my friends to ask for a witty answer...
sooo

new poll; can one use friends to make witty remarks?

guhlenn;)

Actually the most outrageous PC mod I ever saw was detailed in what is now Maximum PC magazine, a few years ago when they were under the name Boot. A guy ran a standard Pentium 200 cpu at something like 800 mghtz by mounting the cooling system of a Nissan car to his PC. The cooling system was 5 times the size of the PC... but it worked.

When I worked for cabletron systems years back, The Manager of tech support had some competitors equipment turned into planters for his office... brought a chuckle or two....

To appreciate the beauty of the SG fridge you really need to be involved in IT. Its like a Ferrari to a car fanatic, a F-16 to an aviation buff - just a very cool looking square block of POWER that happens to be a good fit for a fridge.

Actually if anyone is interested in customising their PC, the new (May) issue of Maximum PC magazine has a very nice story on how to properly paint/decal a PC to whatever ridiculous color you want. Has a nice review of Sound Forge 5 too.

Actually.....

I work in Network Support for a really large company where they don't allow food back in our workspace. It would be kind of cool to stash food in that and when the bosses came in, they thought it was just another server amongst the hundreds in our room. :)

H2H

(Now looking at the old IBM servers thinking if I could gut them and put a full-sized fridge in one. :))

yeah but that would be cool. then there's the "we're hiding something from our boss aren't we naughty gnarf gnarf attitude... i can dig that!

guhlenn;)

Hell I keep my desk covered with food constantly... otherwise it would be tough to eat, given that my leg is chained to the desk.

Of course we don't allow food or drinks in the actual server room - ever since some moron spilled his coffee into a new Compaq server.

Once the weather warms up I'm planning on painting one of my computers black. It's a desktop MP3 server, set up with my living room stereo equipment. It would be nice to make it match. Then the final step is to install a short-range FM broadcast station. That way I can put 42 gigs of MP3 files on random play and pick it up from any radio in my house or yard. Sonic heaven!

Well Mr. Smith, I think we've fixed your hard disk problem, there was a pepperoni stuck to the disk heads and it was keeping them from deploying...

That will be $500 please.

Back to hard drives...

Okay, back to the original subject.. thanks for the links to both the stupidity and the article on Storage Review. Great stuff!

I work for a hard drive company, so I'm sure all my coworkers will laugh their asses off at the guy modding his hard drives. These companies don't spend millions maintaining clean rooms for nothing - a fact which apparently has escaped our intrepid experimenter.

Our engineers like to compare the head/platter relationship to flying a 747 ten feet off the ground, counting every blade of grass as you go by. You just can't afford to hit anything.

Kaydis said:
Well Mr. Smith, I think we've fixed your hard disk problem, there was a pepperoni stuck to the disk heads and it was keeping them from deploying...

At least it's easier to find that problem after the mod:)

Rocker151 - Maybe you should tell the clean-room guys that they really don't have to go through all that trouble. It's apparently enough to run the shower for a while in your bathroom...

/O

For the life of me, I can not figure out why an harddrive company would spend millions of dollars for a non-contaminant room, when you could simple make a "clean room" like the one on that guys website. :D

I have access to a Class 1 cleanroom. Just send me your hard drives and I'll be happy to do the mod.

Umm... on second thought, better just send me your whole system, so I can also do some reliability testing.

Turn around time is 1-2 years :)

Just get a hose and go crazy in your room. The added moisture is apparently great for lubricating the HDD platters. You'll probably get 15k rpm performance out of your ol' 5400 steam engine.

Back