Narration into music - How a newbie idiot managed to capture some sound

Bubba Spear

I hate computers and I especially hate audio equipment. In truth, the stuff just scares me, especially those coloured lights.

I have never understood what all those people do. What are all those wires for? And what is that bloke in the corner doing with his hands? I hear people talk, I even look at what they twiddle, but nothing goes in. However... I've always liked the sound of spoken words introducing music, but with the music eventually taking priority. Thought it would be simple to do at home for a laugh (nothing more). I was wrong.

I bought an Electro-Voice RE20 microphone because I liked the colour (olive green) and it felt heavy. In fact, for all purchases I simply took advice from a tech person. Don't for a moment think I purchased after analysing the electromagnetic feedback, modular acoustic flow-through interference output. Ha, ha, ha... I just made that up, but it does sound impressive! I just wanted to get the stuff quickly and be done. So, no looking through catalogues or even listening to the differences between stuff. Made a list, walked into shop and walked out again, knowing that I won't EVER be upgrading or improving.

Thinking that would be it, I then discovered I'd need something called an interface - why can't they call these things by normal names? Thought it would end there too, but oh no! this microphone is so heavy I can't balance it on a stack of books without it rolling all over the place. So, next is a Hercules microphone stand, again because I liked the black and yellow colour, and it's heavy.

The interface is a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, but I'm not so keen on the colour, a putrid red! In fact, I'm not even that sure it is called an interface. It's either called that or a DAW. Damned stupid names. Next are the cables, which I let the kind man in the shop sort out for me. In between the cables sits a Cloudlifter CL-1. A lovely shade of deep blue. It too is nice and heavy, so I'm pleased there. I had fun connecting those cables and after a few hours realized that I needed to turn on the phantom power for the Cloudlifter to do it's stuff. Those few hours of my life I'll never get back. All of this plugs into my up to date laptop running software (because that's what they call it).

Do you people actually read all the instruction manuals? Do you all work for NASA in your spare time? I CANNOT BELIEVE how massively complicated these manuals are. How is that fun? Please, tell me! So, in the end I delete/ignore every instruction manual and make up my own rules. Here they are:

1.) Anything red is probably not good. Especially if it's flashing.

2.) Green lights are happy lights.

3.) Anything with an unpronounceable name is unnecessary and might ruin things.

4.) Do everything as quickly as possible

5.) Remember that a .wav file is big, while an .mpg file is small.

6.) Blue lights I'm undecided on, but for now I try to ignore them altogether.

7.) Don't eat and speak at the same time - and don't be lazy with your tongue (I'm guilty of this)

8.) Be aware that these close-up mics picks up every mouth noise.

Three more questions please:

1.) I turned on the compression at a default setting. Should I twiddle the slider or just stick with that?
2.) I don't like the idea of EQ, it sounds menacing and dangerous. Can I safely leave it out altogether. Haven't touched it yet?
3.) Any other SIMPLE things I can do to improve the sound quality?

Here's a sound file for your amusement. I am not a poet, writer, musician or voice-over. I wrote the words because I needed words, nothing more. Simply done for fun. Music by the wonderful Tim Thompson of ClydeSight Productions (composer in the USA). Recording space: a large open drawing room with zero sound treatment. The microphone on a very low blanket covered table. I'm not used to speaking seated, especially with my posterior crammed way down into a soft armchair, while my upper torso is leaning far forward, so squeezing my diaphragm... I know, not good. This has been a newbie test to see if I can actually capture something/anything onto the computer.

The truth is, I cannot tell the difference between average and good sound. Poor sound quality yes, but anything after that and it all sounds the same to me. When it came to volume levels I left the knob where it 'looked' reasonable. Everything sounded the same to me anyway. Many of you are probably shaking your heads, and I'm not arguing with you, merely stating that this newbie cannot tell the difference. Maybe I'll develop 'ears'.

If there is one thing I've learnt: these close up microphones pick up EVERYTHING. I'll have to concentrate next time. It's been a learning experience. Think I might have to go and lie down now...

Bubba Speare​

Last edited:
Back