How do we revive HR

I saw this thread when it was one post long... and I still don't really think HR needs to be "revived." There is going to be an ebb and flow to anything, HR membership and activity included. Number of members, or new members per year are not indications of a forum's health, per se. IMHO, if this forum has been sick, lately, it was best addressed by the "cleaning up" recently done- it's been my observation that when a forum denegrates more and more into a bunch of shouting matches, which tend to get more and more off-topic as they progress. Said forum goes down hill, fast, from there, unless management takes effective steps to quell it. Call me a brown noser if you wish, but I think that the recent upgrade of moderation (and I am not claiming any personal victory or brilliance, here) and gentle tightning of the rules were what was needed- and all that was needed (unless time proves that more needs to be done.)

wasnt it always a shouting match? and it was pretty busy for it

seems a bit sterile nowadays...and when things lose their edge...

HR = pop music ;)

lol, tell me about it...Im up around 15 pounds since my UK visit. Before that the gym helped balance my happy equilibrium, now I have to lose some..shit :(

I don't think HR needs reviving. It's like everything in life, it has it's high points, mid points and not so high points. People find other things to do.
Could it also possibly be that home recording, having lost it's nouveau riche impact is now like many other aspects of the technological explosion of the last 20 years ~ on the plateau while people wait for and get into the next big thing ?
We're a bit like cinemas and video shops.

I think the most "members" I've ever seen logged in recently was 20. Granted there's (let's say) 250 "guests" but they don't bring anything to the mix. It would be nice to see more equipment info, mixing techniques, NAMM reviews etc etc. I think this place could get a little livelier.
Another example - when you get 25 votes for a song contest it's a bit telling.

Maybe just saying hello to new members would be helpful. There are only 3 or 4 of us who do it. Maybe it starts with caring about them. This site is based mostly of newbies, and a chunk of people who have a bunch of experience, yet do not want or wish to move on to the ego based forums that are based on attitude and stature. Even the opinionated ones here, still take part in the community that we know as HR. HR does still mean Home Recording as far as I know. Yeah, my home studio is a bit past the entry level, but I still don't have Neumann's yet. Yet.

New members won't feel welcome if they are not welcomed here.

I used to try to help newbs, but they are fed too much misinfo that I tire of correcting, those threads just end up in a flame war between non-newb members and the newb leaves anyway. It's no-win, so why bother.

There is that....The one time posters do comprise a big part of the newly registered members, but there are many that have become regular members here as well. We never know until they actually post useful questions, but if nobody gives a **** about their questions, or introduction, why would they want to stay? If 'why bother' is the answer, then 'why care' about the site to begin with? Lazy is as lazy does? I heard that somewhere, someones momma always told him that or something....

I don't know anything... Just a thought....

Actually... my main draw in was what has been previously mentioned- the small community that knows it's shit.

the "others" just felt too stale.
I don't give a fuck about "where the pro's hang out" or a bunch of guys making themselves feel better about themselves because they have a knob on their console that used to be in sound city.

And the one time posters are just that.
I guess because everyone jumps on them about not knowing a damn thing. It just leaves a bad taste in their mouths.
They're not aware that they don't know anything. That's why they come here.
That's how I was and still am. I didn't know what mastering or all this stuff was.. I barely knew what multi-tracking was.
I, just like everyone else, became interested in recording because I like music. It didn't start with me liking music because I like the way Sean Kinney's drum overheads were placed or something like that.

Actually... my main draw in was what has been previously mentioned- the small community that knows it's shit.

the "others" just felt too stale.
I don't give a fuck about "where the pro's hang out" or a bunch of guys making themselves feel better about themselves because they have a knob on their console that used to be in sound city.

I don't care where the 'pro's' hang out either. It all comes down to the integrity of the performer. Even a pro can't make a gem from a turd. That is not the point here. It is to share advice as to how to get from point A to B, without condescending remarks from arrogant people who feel they are above such questions. In my opinion, this place is for sharing and helping others to get to the point where they can be able to place their visions, in to a format that allows them to enjoy themselves, share with others, or actually further themselves as recording artists or engineers/producers. There is not a bunch of ego here, even though there are many professional level members that I have been learning from.

This is a learning place. Whatever level one considers themselves at here, it is still a learning experience for all of us. Whether giving advice for whatever drives you to do so, or just to listen to silly banter about silly shi*. We do it because we enjoy it here. Not to be assholes. That is what separates this site from the others. It isn't filled with ego.

Back