How do we revive HR

Jimmy's the only one making a suggestion on how to increase/retain members. I know you all love this place "as is" , "compared to other sites" etc etc etc... I'm asking you to step out of your comfort zone, get off the couch, and come up with practical ideas of how we can make this an even better site for new and old members.

For example - how many of you "veterans" have hit a plateau and are looking at a certain new piece of gear (like that Neumann :D) but no one here has even seen one let alone touched one. The law of large numbers would result in a better chance to get some real hands on experience with one. So how does this site attract more people and thus facilitate this?

It applies to Behringer stuff too BTW...

I only used to come here now I go to a few sites, one with more expertise in electronic stuff, and one for off topic banter as Ive been banned from these forums here....cant say I prefer the other sites, when it comes to music stuff I prefer here...the clinic saves this place for me and a dozen or so members that Id consider friends as much as you can online in virtual reality lol

funny enough I keep getting banned at the off topic site I use....maybe it isnt just HRs fault :D

I hit a plateau of instrumental skill 20 years ago that ain't no Neumann gonna fix. Ten years ago people didn't worry about the brand names so much, we were all happy to be able to record 16 tracks. Newbs today can use whatever but if the music is ass then it actually sounds better when the production values are ass too. Case in point: Minor Threat. Who the hell wants to hear that Autotuned?

Don't tell me, it's probably already on Youtube . . .

There is that....The one time posters do comprise a big part of the newly registered members, but there are many that have become regular members here as well. We never know until they actually post useful questions, but if nobody gives a **** about their questions, or introduction, why would they want to stay? If 'why bother' is the answer, then 'why care' about the site to begin with? Lazy is as lazy does? I heard that somewhere, someones momma always told him that or something....

I don't know anything... Just a thought....

I don't care about this site anymore, I just post when I feel like it. You are being used.

I only used to come here now I go to a few sites, one with more expertise in electronic stuff, and one for off topic banter as Ive been banned from these forums here....cant say I prefer the other sites, when it comes to music stuff I prefer here...the clinic saves this place for me and a dozen or so members that Id consider friends as much as you can online in virtual reality lol

funny enough I keep getting banned at the off topic site I use....maybe it isnt just HRs fault :D

KC PM me the site and the forum. I'll go over and rally for ya then kick them all in the butt!

Funny I just got an email from GS telling me that they are up dating their forums to include ... Member Services Directory, Songwriting Forum and User Reviews. If anyone is interested about what they are doing and how this could be put into place here at HR look =====> ~~~~ Reviews - Gearslutz.com.

Seems they are mimicking a few of the things we all ready do here -- in these times everyone is feeling a bit of a pinch.

I don't care about this site anymore, I just post when I feel like it. You are being used.

Used? Used by my own desire to be here. I have no desire to keep or find new members, if they do not want to be a part of it. I frequent this site because I enjoy it. I enjoy welcoming, and helping new members. There is no money involved in hanging out here. Not even moderators see a dime for helping out. This site is for sharing. Therefore it cant be limited to who, and why individuals want to share. It is dependent upon a members desire to share with others. The number of site visits are directly relative to how many actually reply to new members.

There may be ways to promote and keep the long term members here, by having the other 'off topic' forums, but they are already there. The Cave and Prime Time forums are here for long term members to go off topic, vent, and do what they want. Not the place for those that are looking for 'Home Recording' info. This place by name, may be limited to how it functions, but it is what it is, and actually, I like it.

Promotion for the site seems more directly related to how we put effort into it. Advertising that finances the site, is only possible from numbers that show the use of the forum. The best thing a member can do for the site, is post. Give opinions. Be a productive member.

And maybe give away a Neumann mic once a month! Dammit tho, I'm sure I would be exempt from that. If that becomes a possibility, I will quit....

:D

Jimmy's the only one making a suggestion on how to increase/retain members. I know you all love this place "as is" , "compared to other sites" etc etc etc... I'm asking you to step out of your comfort zone, get off the couch, and come up with practical ideas of how we can make this an even better site for new and old members. ...

Fair enough, but nothing comes to me. I just like things the way they are, 'round here.

I read daily at a few recording, guitar, and gear related websites. It's become obvious over the past 3 or 4 years that all of those sites (including HR) are struggling. I also frequent a few photograpic websites and it appears that they are also riding a down slope in terms of membership and interest. It's probably because sites like HR, et all, really offer nothing new in the way of factual information that can't be obtained virtually everywhere on the net. Online advice at forums has become far too opinion orientated and perhaps that is what turns people off, but that is the nature of the beast.

Look at the bottom of this or any other forum. Compare the number of members to the number of guests who are viewing at a particular time and it provides a good indication that the majority of people nowadays are simply looking for information without the hassle of actually signing on as a member and joining a community.

Personally, I think people who don't register a membership are missing out by not becoming part of a community with people who share the same interests.

yup...I think the rush from the "fuck me i can record on a computer" bubble has finally burst....maybe theyre getting their heads around the whole piracy thing at last?

while Ill admit the flame threads were funny in the end Id rather be part of a place with a handful of similar minded people than one where the high and mighty think they are spoonfeeding n00bs...thats how this place used to feel imo

I'd rather be part of a place with a handful of similar minded people than one where the high and mighty think they are spoonfeeding n00bs...
You weren't here when Blue Bear was around. You missed out on all the advice he gave along with the abuse he doled out. It had to be taken with a grain of salt. I kinda miss the days when Alan and DJL were at each others throat in the microphone forum. If you sifted through all of the bullshit you actually did learn something about mics.

I'm going to chime in here.....

Being a "Noob" myself, not that it maters. I found this site googleing a music equipment question. I found the answer to my question, and questions I didn't even know to ask. This is a great site.

Now, I like the idea of "hanging out" with other musicians, something I don't get to do in the real world.

Oh - I see a ton of crap in the magazines about ipad, android and iOS stuff - it's all tablet's and apps - they should add an "apps" forum to cover all the millions of recording apps that are out now... that's what people are searching for to get started nowdays...

I read daily at a few recording, guitar, and gear related websites. It's become obvious over the past 3 or 4 years that all of those sites (including HR) are struggling. I also frequent a few photograpic websites and it appears that they are also riding a down slope in terms of membership and interest. It's probably because sites like HR, et all, really offer nothing new in the way of factual information that can't be obtained virtually everywhere on the net. Online advice at forums has become far too opinion orientated and perhaps that is what turns people off, but that is the nature of the beast.

Look at the bottom of this or any other forum. Compare the number of members to the number of guests who are viewing at a particular time and it provides a good indication that the majority of people nowadays are simply looking for information without the hassle of actually signing on as a member and joining a community.

Personally, I think people who don't register a membership are missing out by not becoming part of a community with people who share the same interests.

+1............

Back