How do we revive HR

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Looks like my original thread was deleted in the feedback forum so I'll try here....
With the cheap mics and interfaces and free DAWS everyone is recording and getting better at it all the time.
Even mastering is getting done at home using plugins and eq's.
Membership seemed to have taken off when digital recording came in but has since fallen off...
People don't hang out here as much or register (see the 1200+ online record back in 2006).
What needs to be done to increase membership and get this place going again?
:):):):):):)

Happy to have the discussion, but I'd wonder if the owners of the place consider that it's failing?

Suggestions:
1. Encourage more women - I suspect lots take one look and run away. Especially if they stumble into the Cave.
2. Rework the rep / membership level thing so it actually means something - for instance, disallow rep giving from anything but on-topic help forums, don't make rep givng a percentage of rep you have, make it a flat amount, have a three or four tier membership level so that noobs have something to aspire to, instead of being granted "Senior Member" status during the process of a single long-winded one-on-one discussion with somebody about how to hook up your interface
3. Recognise senior people who've contributed massively to the place over the years

It's a tough gig... I suspect a lot of HR members think they're geniuses who are just around the corner from stardom and have little time for anyone else... *glances sideways at Rap forum*

... and snow cones....

To tell you the truth ..... the best way to get more people here is to title your start up post that will hit on top of a google search.

You know every so often when googleing up an item you'll see a homerecording hit.
Instead of titling your thread *so like I got this mic* or *my interface rocks* or what ever - Just put the item name in the title.

People are directed here and the certain percentage stays bla ... bla ... bla.

It will work!

It's a tough gig... I suspect a lot of HR members think they're geniuses who are just around the corner from stardom and have little time for anyone else...

I got a computer, good headphones, and a behringer mixer.
I'm taking over the world.
I gots like. 6 youtube views.
:cool:

Anyway.

I know that a big deciding factor in me joining the site, was the feeling of it being a really involved community.
I think more "projects" that involve members would be attracting to current and future members. Kind along the lines of the contests, or like maybe getting random members to collaborate on a project. Stuff like that.

idk.

Still can't believe Jimmy and Arcadeko joined after me. They grow up so fast :')

:p

It's difficult to find a balance i guess, but I think I'd prefer HR the way it is now than if it became more like other unnamed forums.

For me the selling point of this forum is that there is a relatively small number of long term committed members, but they really know their stuff.
Not as many new members hang around as before or as on other forums, but the ones who do are worth having if you want to look at it that way.

For example
If I ask about mics/preamps from an electronics or diy point of view, I know M.Joly or MSH or someone will answer and I can run with it.
If the question is about live sound, I know Henry's gonna have it sussed.
If you've a tape question, AReelguy or someone will be all over it.
If Greg tells me my drums suck, I'm gonna take it as fact.
Any questions about a specific tascam interface? Jimmy's your man. :p

IMO there's a lot less bullshit on here for that reason. Those 'authorities' and others like them provide great answers, but also eradicate mythology.

I think it works.

It's also not reviving HR...
Don't think a microphone giveaway is necessary....it just has to be more enticing....but how

Back