How do I use outboard gear with my computer setup?

KingDiamond

Here is my hardware:

Intel based PC
Presonus Firepod
Presonus Eureka channel strip
Steinberg Cubase

Now I bought a 10 space rack from someone on Craigslist and unbeknownst to me it also had some old equipment in it and the guy included it for free! So I want to try using some of it with my DAW. One of the units is an old Aphex Aural Exciter Tybe B made in 1984. I can't find any instruction manuals online for this processor but I figure it is similar to a BBE sonic maximizer. I would like to try using it on a mix in Cubase. Well I can't figure out how to use it with my system. The Presonus Firepod has mic/instrument/line inputs on the front panel and a bunch of outputs and inputs on the rear panel. There are some pictures on this page: http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--PRSFIREPOD

On the rear panel of the Aphex Aural Exciter there are two "channels", each channel has a 1/4" input jack and a 1/4" output jack. Also there are two switches, one for each channel and it says "Operating Level dBm" and you can choose between "0" and "-10".

What I tried was:

Presonus Firepod Cue-Mix outputs 1 & 2 -> Aphex Aural inputs 1 & 2
then
Aphex Aural outputs 1 & 2 -> Presonus Firepod line inputs 1 & 2 on front panel

Then in Cubase I made two new mono tracks and routed Presonus Input 1 to one track and Input 2 to the other track. But when I press record I get a ton of feedback and basically it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong and is there some easier way to do this?

make sure your hardware monitoring is off...on the presonus stuff thats often a "mix" knob on the front panel

Back