How bad is Studio Projects quality control

DJL said:
Flatpicker, I'm using the Great River MP-2NV with Tannoy PM-6' monitors.
That takes care of those two. Now get a white noise generator and a calibrated SA, and your off and running.

BTW, While your at it, throw up a pair of Sound Room mics too and lets see how close they are.:D

Flatpicker, I haven't run a white noise test, but maybe I can get my friend to run them through some lab test at HP when I get back into town.

Omtay,

There's more logic behind that post than there is behind any of DJL's so far.:D

DJL,

Yep, I know you used to be supportive of SP, etc.,......... but somewhere along the line, either on the boards or in PM you got right up Alan's nose, and ever since he started treating you like the dickhead you are currently looking to be, you have appeared to go out of your way to find some negativity in relation to both him and the SP products.

BTW, were you really idiotic enough to burn a B1 on stage?

:cool:

ya know DJL, i think i'm gonna go buy myself a B1...and for no better reason than the fact that you are being a total ass and changing you arguments, editing half your post(which i find REALLY interesting), and completely ignoring everyone elses arguments while sounding like the most annoying broken record know to man.
well ok, that's not the only reason i will buy one. but i will.

DJL said:
Flatpicker, I haven't run a white noise test, but maybe I can get my friend to run them through some lab test at HP when I get back into town.
Whoa, hold on here. I think I’ve found the key to all this and I’m peeved at myself for not catching this before.

Look at your quote of Alan on page 4. What was the first thing He said? This: “Well most manufacturers accept a +/- 2db sensitivity spec.” A “sensitivity spec”. Did you catch that? (Marshall doesn’t even list this spec, BTW :rolleyes: ).

I looked up the B3 spec and it reads: “Sensitivity:14/16/18mV/Pa(Omni./Cardioid/Figure 8)(-37/-36/-35dB @1000Hz)”. Did you see that part about 1000Hz”?

So, forget the white-noise-null test. He’s talking about sensitivity at 1000Hz only. You could probably do this test yourself, but we’d have to trust you to be able to keep the mics in the exact same position (mic position AND distance) relative to the source, keep the source at exactly the same level, have calibrated measuring equipment and know how to use it.

You can spout all the words you want, but until you come back with proof, I’m considering this a bogus, fraudulent claim.

We all make mistakes DJL.

How about issuing a retraction of this thread?
That would be most impressive and the right thing to do IMHO.
I certainly would if I had done anything similar.

Chris

What I DON'T get is why you don't simply tell the SP guys about it, say that one of your B3s isn't behaving according to its color marking, and get them to replace it? Sounds like a pretty simple solution...

Of course, that might just be me...

Sklathill said:
What I DON'T get is why you don't simply tell the SP guys about it, say that one of your B3s isn't behaving according to its color marking, and get them to replace it? Sounds like a pretty simple solution...

Of course, that might just be me...
well, you need to remember...that would be the INTELLIGENT thing to do.

Flatpicker said:
Whoa, hold on here. I think I’ve found the key to all this and I’m peeved at myself for not catching this before.

Look at your quote of Alan on page 4. What was the first thing He said? This: “Well most manufacturers accept a +/- 2db sensitivity spec.” A “sensitivity spec”. Did you catch that?

By George I think your right, and you found the key.... and yeah, I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

So then, for example... a Studio Projects B3 microphone has a possible output level variation of -33 to -37dB +/-.5dB depending on which one you get (colored dot) and the Studio Projects colored dots really don't have anything to do with "Matching" other than just output levels. Which means the colored dots are almost worthless because you could make up the difference with the preamp trim/gain knob.

chessparov said:
We all make mistakes DJL.

How about issuing a retraction of this thread?
That would be most impressive and the right thing to do IMHO.
I certainly would if I had done anything similar.

Chris

Yeah, I guess Studio Projects quality control is really no better or worse than Oktava's quality control... so, this is the official retraction of my statement.

Sorry, everyone.

Last edited:
I didn't count them, but it looks like quite a few post. How, many post did you get in?

I've got a new subject that I'll post next weekend, so if you didn't get your post count up this time, you'll have another chance next weekend. :D

Back