How bad is Studio Projects quality control

Hey .....

I am thinking of buying a sp b1 mic....with all these people sticking up for the company...i have no choice now but to buy this mic and see what all this slander was about...peace

Kevlar

Harvey! Please dont go anywhere! I have really learned alot with help from your posts on this bbs...Just ignore the ignorant and stay here and help and educate people like me that really appreciate your efforts. I know there are more people here that feel the same way. Am i right?
/Jonas

you know, i dont think this thread has anything to do with studio projects and their matching dot system, I think it has more to do with some stupid fuck that likes to hide behind his computer keyboard and bait people into this self indulgent bullshit. each time someone points out something to this guy, he keep right on spewing shit and tries to change his argument, any normal person would back down, this idiot keeps right on going like the enegizer bunny. It unfortunate that some people use these forums as a substitute for a real life.
(-:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Gidge
One thing that can be done is for everyone to stop arguing with the assclown and let this thread die off.........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont know a whole lot about mics, but i have read post by Harvey, and alan, i was never lead to believe the dots meant more than getting mics that would be close in level, i have also now read many post by djl, and i will no longer read anything he has to say, his quality has dropped way below any cheap chinese mic .......Bostonfan2

crazydoc said:
... this was all much ado about nothing.
I wouldn't say that. It helped me get over the 250 post "hump" so I could have my own Avatar! Plus Gidge got to add a few to his measly 8000 and something post...:D

I haven't figured out yet what the advantage is to a high post count, except at 250 when you get to put your own little icon by your name. There are people here who have thousands of posts who don't know much (witness this thread) and others with few posts who know what they're talking about. Maybe those who work don't have much time to post, and vice versa.

Anyway, congratulations on reaching avatat status.

crazydoc said:
I haven't figured out yet what the advantage is to a high post count, except at 250 when you get to put your own little icon by your name. There are people here who have thousands of posts who don't know much (witness this thread) and others with few posts who know what they're talking about. Maybe those who work don't have much time to post, and vice versa.

Anyway, congratulations on reaching avatat status.

I used to think that way when I first was around here. Infact, I am sure you could dig up one my old posts jumping on some fool who had 1000 post at the time...saying pretty much the same thing you did.
Then...I got high speed internet and could stream MP3's, and it allowed me to hear songs in the clinic instantly instead of downloading shit and then going to bed, only to see if I've been kicked offline or not while I was asleep. Getting cable internet was shortly after I started coming around here to these forums.
My post count has then zoomed up to the stratosphere because 90% of my comments are directed to mix critiques and posting in the MP3 clinic. Plus...I've been reading these forums for more than a year also. I do like to get out and "vacation" in other threads such as this, but I can easily offer 10 posts in a sitting commenting on peoples mixes/songs with my opinions. Do that for three years, a couple days a week, it adds up. Not to mention I have probably easily posted 25 or more songs there myself and always like to thank people when they comment on my stuff..

Plus...I'm one of those people with thousands of posts AND I AM smart!! witness this thread!! (plus I have a job AND a part-time for pay studio!!) lol!;)

If was sick, would I look up someone with a name like yours??:eek: (joke!):D

U 87

I'm pissed. It makes a lousy hammer. All that talk about a machined housing and you can't even sink a 4 penny nail in a chunk of pine without scratching it up. How am I supposed to get this thing back to the dealer without a lot of questions? Damn sneaky, if you ask me. German engineering. Bah. Give me a Stanley any day. Or a Craftsman - even better. You get another free every time you break the old one.

By the way, I picked up a set of SP B1s that were marked with dots, they are great mics for my uses (including live use), an incredible value for the money (I have people walking up to me asking what the hell I'm using because they can hear the artist really clearly without anyone having to eat the mic), and I would have bought them without the damn dots.

I think it's a cool idea and shows that someone has been paying attention - and in a $80 mic, that's a good thing. Nobody ever suggested to me these were "matched" mics (nor was I expected to pay Sound Room prices) and I knew the difference between a claim that mics are matched and a distributor's common courtesy - although those mics do sound close to my ear.

The troll earned an "ignore" rating. That one was easy.

Last edited:
Ok, I just read everyones comments, and etc. If no one else was ever confused about the Studio Projects colored dots, and if all of you think I'm wrong, then I must be. I mean I know I'm slow, but I also think I can't be right if everyone thinks I'm wrong. I owe everyone an apology... I'm sorry.

Ive used the B1 before and as well a Samson C01 condenser which is a similarly priced microphone in my recording facility and i have to say they both sound like they cost. Of course the Samson C01 doesnt sound as nearly as good as the B1 but thats not saying much.

In all reality you would be better off just buying a mic like the B1 or the C01 to get your songs into form so you can get the format down but in the meanwhile save up some more money for a better microphone.
Yes we can all find a mic thats got claims on a Neumann's championship belt. Sounds better than the U87 blah blah blah.

Thats just like saying a Hyundai sports coupe is just as good as a mustang. Theres differences. They may not be severe...which of course is going to get me yelled at...but sometimes a subtle difference is what will get you a great sounding vocal. I currently manage 8 acts and they range from Male r and b to rap music and i need a mike that carries weight will all of them.
Thats why i checked and checked...i listened to those listening sessions mp3 s and various cds that have all different types of preamps combined with different mikes and all that stuff.
I chose to get a NT1a because of it.
Why?
Some feel that the B1 is just as good or better than that microphone.
I record digitiallly and noise is every digital studios problem.
If you run a pro tools or sonar system you DONT want noise. If you record in a house or a basement or an apartment facility you DONT want noise picked up or generated by your microphone.
My house sounds like a empty church minus the echo :) with the NT1a.
I checked the ratings and the s/N is better on the Rode as well as the self noise.
Is it worth 200 USD? Yes. Did i pay 200 for it no. Its called trading in your 79 dollar mike and shock mount and getting back 50 bucks for it. I also traded in my piece of CRAP ART Tube MP
Pre amp, the most overated and piss poor excuse for a preamp short of using a stereo hi fi for a line input device...wait a minute i did that ...oopps!!
anyways...
Its more about the sound quality to me than this quality control business.

Rode claims my mike is hand made i could care if leprechauns built it with a shoe horn and a piece of thread i want good vocals coming in before i think of messing with mike modeller or anything else on my vocal recordings.
Buy a B1 or any of the Studio Proj mikes
thats your choice...me i chose to spend some money and not worry about it.
I got a shock mount and ALOT of respect from professional recording houses in town for buying that mike and
to get some dap from a licensed recording engineer speaks volumes to me.
If you can achieve that with a Studio Proj then you ahead in the game.
Just for cris sakes get a QUALITY preamp cuz remember on the listening sessions cd they used some preamps my parents couldnt afford. Perhaps theres the secret?????
Its not as much the mike as it is the preamp thats powering and conditioning its audio signal??
Would the B1 sound the same on a HIGH end preamp compared to the U87?
what about a pre with variable impedence??? I heard theres thats the untold story of high end mikes....
somebody delve into that a little bit
DJL??? Maybe?
Hey he started the post...somebody had to ...most of us hate end up hating those that set us on the right path whether or not we care to admit it...
hes got us talking...
and for that matter for all of you pundits that are complaining about the lenght of time things go on on these post boards?
If you have something better to do like
RECORD then why do you keep CHECKING THE POSTS???
Shouldnt you have Cubase loaded up instead of Internet Explorer?
It takes up too much ram and thats bad orotocol.
I just think you guys are worth a term paper each about the human condition.
I believe its called Midus syndrome. Just keeping that same rock up a hill EVERYDAY..notice nobody makes King Midus push up the rock.

Peace

Thanks Illacov, for taking the time to register here today just to give a rather lengthy response to this thread. I somehow feel as though I know you from somewhere,
hmmm....

DJL,
Thank you for your last post. I'm sure that wasn't easy for you.God knows, no one here was making it any easier for you.
Can we bury the hatchet now and declare peace? All's forgiven? It was a full moon or something like that?

Now we can get back to the more important questions, like:

"If a good condenser has a gold sputtered diaphram in it already,
how come when this vocalist with a golden voice and a gold record sputtered on my mic, she screwed it up?"

Or you know, stuff like that.

mixmkr said:

..If was sick, would I look up someone with a name like yours??:eek: (joke!):D
You'd be crazy if you did.

Regarding the knowledge vs. high post count - sorry - I didn't mean to generalize. Most people here with high post counts are probably experienced and knowledgeable. But there are exceptions.

My post count isn't high beacuse I don't know much.

Yo Illacov! Welcome to the board! Mic cabinets are built up of a lot of mics. Every studio that has a Neumann U47 also has a Shure SM-57. My gold channel is a B.L.U.E. Kiwi into an Avalon AD2022, but that doesn'r stop me from finding uses for a Studio Projects B-1. I can tell you you won't get a lot of respect in this neck of the woods because you use a Rode NT-1a as a main vocal mic.
But that doesn't matter. What matters is- does it sound good? None of the mics under discussion, the B-1, the Rode, or a U-87, for that matter, has enough self noise to be relevent in the real acoustic environment. Not one of them makes enough self noise for you to hear. Does a kickass preamp make a difference? Hell yes. If you have an audible noise floor, and it isn't ambient noise, the cause is much more likely to be the preamp, the cables, or gain structure issues than the mic, especially with a large diaphragm condenser.
By the way, DJL, I'm shocked! That actually seemed like a sincere response. Where there's smoke, there's fire, and if everybody thinks you're being a dick, you probably are. But that doesn't mean you *are* a dick, just that you are acting like one.
Really, the core of your issue is that you believe Alan Hyatt uses deceptive advertising to hide the deficiencies of an overated product. However, in the real world, the product meets or exceeds (usually the latter) the performance of any similarly priced product. Studio Projects B-1 takes a rightful place alongside Marshall MXL V67, MXL 603, and Shure SM57 as among the only under $100 mics that sound good on some things some of the time. What you need to do is ask questions, instead of cross examining a hostile witness. Your agenda is so transparent that it makes it difficult to take you seriously, even if you were right.
Understand this- I don't work for PMI audio, and when I've had problems with any of their products, I haven't been afraid to say so publicly, either. On the other hand, *no* company I have dealt with has tried as hard to fix a problem, and to prevent it in the future, as they have. Your criticisms are based on trying to find inconsistencies in advertising claims based on technical date you only partially understand the significance of.
I'm technically challenged, so I can't do that, and I don't try to baffle with bullshit. I just use the mics. My conclusion- B-1 is not a great mic. It's a good mic, which is particularly versatile, and priced to go. The fact that it costs $80 and doesn't suck puts it in a very small group of Godsends in home recording gear. The fact that Alan answers all his email immediately and bends over backwards to fix even minor problems makes PMI Audio a Godsend in home recording.
The truth is, that attempting to find PMI's products to be inferior will fail, because by any relevent measure, they are not inferior. Now I'll be the first to note that I think the MXL V67 offers more bang for buck than C-1. But I also have to say that I recently had to take down the B.L.U.E. Kiwi on a keeper track and put up C-3, because it was simply a better mic for that song in that room on that day. You need to stop attacking PMI as a reflex, and try to help somebody who's still trying to figure out what phantom power is. Try building something instead of trying to knock something down.-Richie

illacov said:
I believe its called Midus syndrome. Just keeping that same rock up a hill EVERYDAY..notice nobody makes King Midus push up the rock.

Peace

Sisyphus. It was Sisyphus who was condemned to spend eternity pushing boulders up a hill. King Midas is the one who turned everything he touched to gold (the Gods of Olympus had a pretty twisted sense of humour).

(Everything I know about Greek Mythology I learned from

ulysses.jpg

:cool: )

Back