How bad is Studio Projects quality control

Oh man. Try this. Try mics that you are interested in. If it sounds good to you, then buy it and record. In the old days, mics like these new cost effective models, did not exist. The good days are here for home recording and all we get are fights over the cheapest mics! Wow. I will say that I don't but the argument about "The perfect mic on this day for that vocalist and tommorow it will change...colors for your mic locker....blah"
When the Beatles were here making history, the studio used very few mics and the performance and sound were still there. Expensive mics are more useful and more versitile than the cheaper ones of today. However, for the price of the chinese mics, I suppose you can buy a dozen "specialty" mics for the cost of one great mic. I have no problem getting the sound I want on everything with only a few good mics. I have used a few chinese mics and do find them good on very limited sources.

But, price rules and if you are happy with your purchase, colored dots mean nothing.

-
i never worked with a U47 before

however
have you heard the NT1a??
I mean actually put it to use in your facility??
Im not going to claim its a neuman
but i damn well know its not a B1
and if i had to choose which i did i went with the NT1a
I remember when Studio Proj mikes first came out and they got great reviews but they also cost about 200 and up USD

now they're cheaper...

i just dont trust it
NT1 is still 200 bucks and the NT1a is a drastic improvement on the older mikes design

but ill put up some stuff i recorded with the mike
why doesnt someone put up something they recorded with a B1??

Currently all i have is my mixers preamp which is probably shi*ttin on my sound more than helping it
but from what im hearing
i love it
and YES mikes generate noise
not simply by being touched but also by their signal to noise ratio
if you have a noisy mike going into a preamp that amplifies said noisy signal which in itself may or may not be addiing its own noise
guess what you get?
if you arent going to tape then i suggest you look deeper into this.

Gear List:
Rode NT1a
into (soon dammit soon! Focusrite preamp wish i could get the ISA)
into mixer for monitoring...and into M-Audio Revolution Card.

Is it the Delta 44??
no
can you tell ??
NO
50 bucks cheaper and you can grab it at Compusa
hehe
Cubase VST 5.X
Sonar 2.2 XL
N-track..(dont really need it now though)
Akai S2000
Roland JV1010
Ooooooodles of plugins and VST Instruments
Generic Midi Controller
theres the gear list
wait till you hear the results

Peace

Originally Posted by Alan Hyatt:
"The B1's will work very well as overhead pairs. To match them, just ask your dealer to sell you two mics that have the same color dot on the front packaging. Then you will have about as close of a match as you can get these days. The key is getting two of the same color dots.

The B1's will last as long as you want them to. All you have to do is take care of them. Build a mic locker and only set the mic up when you are going to use them. When you do, let them sit in the room for a couple of hours to adjust to the rooms conditions. Do this before you even power them up. Just let them sit for a while on the stand. Remember to turn down all input and output gains before turning on the phantom power, then wait 60 seconds or so to let the mic charge up. Then bring up the gains, and when you turn it off, do the same thing in reverse.

If you do this, they will last 20+ years."

Just a point and not bashing anyone. The above paragraph IMPLIES that two microphones with the SAME colored dots will be closely matched FOR OVERHEAD PAIRS. It implies much more than just matched output. So, for the function of overhed pair matching, he is comparing the "matching" to something like The Sound Room's matching.

When you can show us a Sound Room pair of mics for $160, then maybe you'll have an argument. But I kind of doubt that's in the cards, and I don't think that would be fair to the Sound Room to expect it.

This is apples and oranges. Let's let it be that.

acorec said:
Just a point and not bashing anyone. The above paragraph IMPLIES that two microphones with the SAME colored dots will be closely matched FOR OVERHEAD PAIRS. It implies much more than just matched output. So, for the function of overhed pair matching, he is comparing the "matching" to something like The Sound Room's matching.

First of all, the mics are just $80 a piece. Second, anyone who knows anything about matching knows that there is no way to match microphones without actually HEARING them and MEASURING many variables. Third, Alan said "... you will have about as close of a match as you can get these days," implying matching without HEARING the mics BEFOREHAND. No one who knows anything about mics would believe that Alan was talking about true mic matching (come one, you're not even listening by ear to the mics). Finally, all that he could have possibly have meant was a quick and dirty match (mostly of output levels). Homerecording.com is getting to be more of a grammar bbs than anything else... people clearly know what others mean, but they insist on pulling stuff out their butts to make a silly argument and inflame. Can we get on with it?

Alan and SP aren't trying to dupe anyone here. What level output matching system can you tell us about from ANY OTHER budget mic manufacturer?

"The B1's will work very well as overhead pairs. To match them, just ask your dealer to sell you two mics that have the same color dot on the front packaging. Then you will have about as close of a match as you can get these days. The key is getting two of the same color dots.

To a newbie looking for "matched pairs", the above statement says that the colored dots MEAN matched pairs. It is plain English. If I know nothing about mics, I would buy two mics from SP with the same color of dots.

I would then tell others I have a matched pair.

They would tell me No, you don't.

I would have been taken, ripped off, whatever you like based on the above statement NOT taken out of context and repeated here in its ENTIRETY.

The point is that if salesmen want to post, they should be more careful about what they say and how they say it. This is definately not the first time I have read misleading statements primarily directed at people to sell product.

Here's an idea!

PLEASE LET THIS F*(&ING THREAD DIE!

The premise was stupid to start with, it took 8 pages for the originator to retract his original statement, and it's turning into a "let's piss on each other" street brawl.

Let it die.

acorec said:
To a newbie looking for "matched pairs", the above statement says that the colored dots MEAN matched pairs. It is plain English. If I know nothing about mics, I would buy two mics from SP with the same color of dots.

There are a whole lot of manufacturers and marketing folks that make all sorts of claims about their products. No one complains that they are plotting against "newbies." All sorts of budget mic pres claim their sound is "pro." Focusrite calls it's preamp VM "pro"-something or the other. Mics even use the term "pro" in the name of the mic... ATM Pro 25. How many sound cards have you seen where the manufacturer claims specs that compete with true professional tools only to find out that a MAudio Audiophile could never truly compete with Apogee converters. How many "pro" studios do you hear about only to find out that they record to ADATs? How many mags have you seen articles showing endorsements by respected pros saying they mix their hits with MAudio BX5 monitors or "Mackie vlz pros beat all other preamps in my studio?" False advertising anyone? Come on already!

What newbies think is far from the standard by which reality is measured. Newbies in recording are like newbies in any other field... they've got to learn before they are truly competent to make decisions in the field. Some get lucky the first time out and buy stuff that is decent. Others follow the usual path and buy stuff with unrealistic hopes only to LEARN more and make wiser choices. To make what novices think of certain statements the standard by which things are judged is pure bull... With that I'll sign off and pray that this ridiculous thread dies.

acorec said:

I would then tell others I have a matched pair.

They would tell me No, you don't.

I would have been taken, ripped off, whatever you like based on the above statement NOT taken out of context and repeated here in its ENTIRETY.

The point is that if salesmen want to post, they should be more careful about what they say and how they say it. This is definately not the first time I have read misleading statements primarily directed at people to sell product.

Yeah, but don't say that too loud or you'll have all of Alan's little helpers jumping on your case... trust me, I know.

OTOH...Alan's only said this on the forums, where people are supposedly rather knowledgeable about this stuff. As far as I can tell, it's not present on the website, on the product boxes, or on any promotional literature. There's no mention of stereo, matched pair, or anything similar. These, I imagine, would be where the real newbies would be looking...

Unless I'm wrong in this? Has the color dot system been explained in places besides HR and rec.org?

I do agree that there are certain implications to what he said, and yes, he probably shouldn't have said that. OTOH...he did define the exact color dot system, and I'm happy with that. Happy enough to look forward to my pair of B3s, at least. I'm going to try them blumlein and if it doesn't work out, oh well...

Oh, and I always thought that OH pairs don't really need to be matched pairs? I've done plenty of tracks where I used far from matched pairs on OH (a 4041 and an MXL1006, for examples) and that turned out to be the best configuration possible. I'm not talking abotu defending the AH comment at this point, please note. I'm wondering how many people agree or disagree with the idea that drum overhead pairs don't need to be matched?

Sklathill said:
OTOH...Alan's only said this on the forums, where people are supposedly rather knowledgeable about this stuff.

If that was true... how do you explain all the newbees on this forum asking un-knowledgeable questions like "what's the best mic under $100" and "what is phantom power" or "Do I need a preamp" and etc?

I wonder how many people on this forum (and other forums) have falsely been lead into believing that the Studio Projects B1 is a flat neutral type mic? Heck, IMO the Marshal MXLV67G is flatter and more neutral than the Studio Projects B1.

Last edited:
WOULD YOU JUST STOP!!!!!!!!

You don't like Alan Hyatt or Studio Projects.

Fine.

You made your f*cking point.

Now shut the f*ck up and let this thread die. You've already exposed your agenda and your comprehension level, so you can stop any time now.

One of the things I feel really bad about is... after I was lead into believing that the Studio Projects microphones with the same colored dots were “matched pairs”... a few people on the forums asked where they could get matched Studio Projects mic’s and I gave them false information. I wish I could remember who they were and apologize because I feel really bad about misleading them.

Anyway, I wanted to get that off my chess, so if any of you reading this are one of those people, I'm sorry, I was wrong.

H2oskiphil, I don't care much for Alan, but I don't hate SP mic's either.

Oh and Sklathill, the new B3's your getting will work fine as drum overheads even if their not a matched pair.

Last edited:
Originally posted by DJL ... after I was lead into believing that the Studio Projects microphones with the same colored dots were “matched pairs”...

DJL,
You're far too knowledgeable to appear to be this silly. You know good and well that matching microphones involves 1) (usually) using consecutive microphones or at the very least microphones made from the same batch, 2) scientific testing of the frequency response of the mics and 3) actually listening to the mics with EARS.

And if, in fact, you truly didn't know this about mic matching before starting this thread, your ignorance on a subject doesn't make your incorrect point any more valid. You, yourself, just admitted above that two B3s "will work fine as drum overheads even if their not a matched pair." So what gives? Why don't you admit that you have a strong bias against Alan Hyatt and start getting over it. Admission is the first step on the road to recovery.:D

Rev E, I don't care for Alan, but I don't hate SP mic's either. I wish I could find the messages where I was telling people who were asking about where to get matched Studio Projects mic's and me telling them about the colored dots... then you'd see that there was a short time when I truely was lead into believing the mics were matched. Do I know better now? You can bet your ass I know now .

DJL said:
If that was true... how do you explain all the newbees on this forum asking un-knowledgeable questions like "what's the best mic under $100" and "what is phantom power" or "Do I need a preamp" and etc?

I wonder how many people on this forum (and other forums) have falsely been lead into believing that the Studio Projects B1 is a flat neutral type mic? Heck, IMO the Marshal MXLV67G is flatter and more neutral than the Studio Projects B1.

That's all it is, your opinion. Different ears, different opinions. In my experience with both of these mics, the V67 is the more colored. But that is really neither here nor there. Everyone is going to perceive things differently.

What seems to be more to the point is that you're on a crusade to prove that Alan has somehow misleads everyone. The general consensus in the thread you started is that this is not the case. Yet, you persist in making the same tired points, editing your posts after the fact, and just generally being a pain. Let it go. Please.

freshmattyp said:
That's all it is, your opinion. Different ears, different opinions. In my experience with both of these mics, the V67 is the more colored. But that is really neither here nor there. Everyone is going to perceive things differently.

I'm not sure what you mean by "more colored"... just so I know if I'm on the same page as you or not, what does "more colored" mean to you? Thanks

DJL said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "more colored"... just so I know if I'm on the same page as you or not, what does "more colored" mean to you? Thanks

He's talking about the dots...you know...the colored dots on the boxes.

The Marshall dots are more colored.

That makes them more matched.

Hurry...run out now and buy a pair.

Back