How bad is Studio Projects quality control

H2oskiphil said:
He's talking about the dots...you know...the colored dots on the boxes.

The Marshall dots are more colored.

That makes them more matched.

Hurry...run out now and buy a pair.
50 millon comics out of work and your still trying to be one, ha ha, not.
---------------------------------------------

Originally posted by freshmattyp
[B}That's all it is, your opinion. Different ears, different opinions. In my experience with both of these mics, the V67 is the more colored. But that is really neither here nor there. Everyone is going to perceive things differently.[/B]

I'm not sure what you mean by "more colored"... just so I know if I'm on the same page as you or not, what does "more colored" mean to you? Thanks

Comic Gray Davis? :D

Hey, I was just thinking... 797 Audio in China manufactures the Studio Projects microphones for PMI Audio in CA, USA. 797 Audio in China ships the SP mic's straight to the UK... so does Studio Projects even do a quality control check?

Flatpicker said:
...Wow! all these post in such short time. I feel another "bunyip" 15-pager coming on!:D Around Sunday morning folks will be posting "PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!" :rolleyes:
I wasn't going to pipe in and say "I told you so", but heck, this is Sunday-week FOR PETE"S SAKE! :eek:

Originally posted by Flatpicker
...Wow! all these post in such short time. I feel another "bunyip" 15-pager coming on! Around Sunday morning folks will be posting "PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!"

Flatpicker said:
I wasn't going to pipe in and say "I told you so", but heck, this is Sunday-week FOR PETE"S SAKE! :eek:

"PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!"

Look, your predicition came true, now you can call yourself a prophet. :D

DJL said:
One of the things I feel really bad about is... after I was lead into believing that the Studio Projects microphones with the same colored dots were “matched pairs”... a few people on the forums asked where they could get matched Studio Projects mic’s and I gave them false information. I wish I could remember who they were and apologize because I feel really bad about misleading them.

Anyway, I wanted to get that off my chess, so if any of you reading this are one of those people, I'm sorry, I was wrong.

H2oskiphil, I don't care much for Alan, but I don't hate SP mic's either.

Oh and Sklathill, the new B3's your getting will work fine as drum overheads even if their not a matched pair.

My point EXACTLY. DJL is no newbie, but believed SPs mis information.

So..... If i get two B1's with little red dots i can honestly say i'm sort of matched in a mis-matched kind of way. Sort of.

More....More

hotpotato said:
So..... If i get two B1's with little red dots i can honestly say i'm sort of matched in a mis-matched kind of way. Sort of.

More....More

You can say YOUR sort of matched in a mis-matched kind of way right now. :D

DJL said:
Comic Gray Davis? :D

Hey, I was just thinking... 797 Audio in China manufactures the Studio Projects microphones for PMI Audio in CA, USA. 797 Audio in China ships the SP mic's straight to the UK... so does Studio Projects even do a quality control check?
Who knows? Where I work we have a SOurce QC guy who travels to different vendors and inspects batches of parts prior to shipment. We call them quality cops ;)

SoMm

The "misinformation" occured when DJL extended Alan's original remark to imply something very different.

For "drum overheads", where you're using close miking for the other drums, some small differences in frequency response between the overhead mics ain't gonna kill ya in terms of getting a good recording.

About the only place where it might be a bit of problem is in an x/y setup, but that's not how most people do their overheads. Even then, it would take some radical differences to be heard, since each mic is picking up different drums. For some songs, we purposely use different, non-matched, overhead mics to accentuate what we want.

DJL took Alan's "use the dots for overhead mic matching", and extended that remark to assume that the dots would insure a perfect set of matched mics from any two similar SP mics, with the same color dot.

Perhaps Alan was too ambiguous in assuming that people would simply take his remark as being exactly what it was (i.e., "use the dot's and you'll be close enough for that particular application, drum overheads").

Is it misleading? Yes, and no. The SP mics are pretty much made the same way from unit to unit. The peaks and dips will vary a bit from mic to mic, but will generally be in the same ball park. Same thing is also true for MXL, Rode, Neumann, AKG, and most other manufacturers you'd care to name. Those small frequency differences between identical mic models are really out of the control of the manufacturers and are due to slight variations in the materials used.

There are also differences (called "tolerances") in the resistors, capicitors, and FETs used in a mic. These will usually cause a difference in the output level of the mic. While "these" tolerances can be more tightly controlled, it's expensive and slow to hand sort and test each resistor, capacitor, and FET that goes into each mic. But you can easily measure the overall output of the mic, and put some indicator on the package.

So the dots help you get reasonably matched levels, and hopefully, the assembly of the capsules is consistant enough to get the same "general response" from mic to mic.

To exactly "match" the mics would require far more testing, consisting of taking the run for the day, and hand testing each mic, saying in essence, "OK, let's look for some that have almost identical responses" - a very slow and involved process. That's why manufacturers charge more for matched pairs.

For drum overheads, at this price point, the dots should do a "good enough" job. Not perfect, but good enough for the application. For more critical applications (like x/y miking a string quartet), you'd want a set of absolutely matched, high dollar mics. But, let's say you can't afford anything but cheap mics, and you still want to record a string quartet. If I were doing it, I'd use similar dots to find the highest output mics and match from there.

A lot of people get really anal about this stuff, but for most applications, there's a big difference in price, but NOT a big difference in sound between "great" and "good enough". Alan said it was "good enough" for drum overheads.

DJL said:
Yeah, but don't say that too loud or you'll have all of Alan's little helpers jumping on your case... trust me, I know.

I already do. The only good thing that will come out of all of this is that the fools who cannot read plain english will be the same fools who will post in the future how their SP mics are not matched sets and "What does the dot mean?"

I think there is a lot of good information in this thread once you get past those in the thread just here to flame me.

Harvey, thank you for the gentler approach in your last message.

omg someone go get this guy a proper name, some friends, a family who love him, maybe some chocolate to cheer him up. then leave him to play measuring levels with his toy microphone collection and the rest of us can go back to making MUSIC which is the only thing we should care about in terms of recording.

apart from harvey who is clearly here to help us all understand and appreciate those things which DJL, blinded by his hatred of good value-for-money mics, cannot.

Back