High end resonance/whistling within recorded vocals.

hao

For some reason, when I record vocals on FL Studio some words/phrases have this annoy high-end resonance. I tried subtractive EQ and desser to get rid of it but it doesn't go away. I thought it was my RODE NT1A microphone that was causing it but I tried recording with my MXL 990 and it still had the same issue. I also thought it was my effects chain that was causing it, but the noise was still prevalent with or without the chain. Maybe it could just be my voice, maybe it could be a software or hardware issue. The noise sounds even worse when played through speakers. At this point, I have no idea what is causing this issue and it's driving me crazy. Please help.
View attachment Whistling vocals.mp3

I do not hear any whistling at all in that clip. If anything, it's dark sounding and lacking 'air' (4khz and above)

Also, no need to make duplicate posts. Asking your question once is good enough. I deleted the other post.

Sorry I didn't know how to delete it. But you didn't hear any high-end resonance in the words assets, accent, axis etc. I'm afraid of boosting the highs because that "whistle sound" is going to get even louder.

What do you guys mean by monitoring chain? Like how the hardware is setup? My mic runs to my audio interface and from it is connected to my PC and speakers.

What do you guys mean by monitoring chain? Like how the hardware is setup? My mic runs to my audio interface and from it is connected to my PC and speakers.

What speakers? They are plugged into the PC, not the audio interface? If so, that's your problem. Your audio interface should be your device for both your input and output.

I have Mackie CR3 speakers, they are plugged in the audio interface. The whistle sound is in the vocals and is amplified through the speakers. Whatever is causing it, it's happening during the recording process.

I don't hear a 'whistle'. It sounds like 'z's.

I would call that a wrong mic choice or just your voice that has that sound to it.

Obviously I am not listening on your monitors and I hear it, so it is pre recording or in software and not your monitors.

I have always had bad experience with NT1a for direct male vocals like yours. I have no experience with MXL 990 other than someone gave me one and I quickly gave it to someone else.

I feel your voice would do much better with a dynamic mic. Sm58 may do just fine and give way better results. SM7b better, but then you will likely be pairing it with a same price preamp.

Maybe you guys can hear it more in this clip
Whistling vocals.mp3 - Google Drive

I hear it at the beginning of the words (assets and axis)

It's the mic not working well with your voice IMO man. It has a sizzly tone to it. The NT1 is not good with that.

Seriously, try a dynamic mic. Borrow one if you don't have it. Some peoples voices just don't record well with a condenser in that price range.

I don't think it is a connection or setting issue. Unless there is somethiung in your chain you are not telling us about. It just the typical mic for the instrument not working well together.

It's the mic not working well with your voice IMO man. It has a sizzly tone to it. The NT1 is not good with that.

Seriously, try a dynamic mic. Borrow one if you don't have it. Some peoples voices just don't record well with a condenser in that price range.

I don't think it is a connection or setting issue. Unless there is somethiung in your chain you are not telling us about. It just the typical mic for the instrument not working well together.

Well, I have the interface also connected to a mixer, but I tried recording with and without the mixer connected and it's the same issue. I appreciate your help. I guess I'll have to go on the hunt for a dynamic mic.

Jimmy used the word 'sizzle' that's exactly what I thought I heard on the second repetition - when it got thicker sounding. It might have been there in the less processed beginning, but I don't think I can hear it in that bit - but it is in the second section it appears. I'm not sure what's causing it? Is it in the source file before all the processing was applied.

In the raw vocals, it's very faint. Honestly, I think I been listening to this too much to the point I'm just hearing things that aren't there. There for sure is a "sizzle" noise but I don't mind it that much.

Like others have said...you appear to be referring to the sibilance....the "sss" sounds on all the words you mentioned...assets, axis

You can roll that off with a parametric EQ...but when you track, you need to easy up when you say the "sss" sounds, and try turning your head a bit off-axis to the mic, it might help. Sometimes you just need to find the right mic for your voice...one that doesn't accentuate the "sss" sounds.
You can also try a pop-filter...maybe even double-up the filters if it's still there with one.

Maybe the processing is emphasising it - so if you've added loads of plugins, maybe they're not helping? To be honest - it wouldn't worry me a tiny bit! Sounds perfectly OK

Back