Help with setting up new equipment!

VMattyV

First of all thanks in advance.

OK so I've bought some new stuff and basically I'm just recording myself (Guitar, vocals) and then maybe throwing in some bass and doing the drum tracks on my computer. The stuff I'm using:

-Echo Mia MIDI PCI Souncard
-Line 6 Guitarport (Using this to record guitars)
-Behringer MIC200 Preamp
-SM57

My computer has onboard sound which is what I have always used

And I have 5.1 speakers but Ive never used them only the 2 so I might actually go buy some new 2.1 speakers. But I've brought down some crappy 2.0 speakers for now just to make my life easier.

But anyway, I'm a little confused on how to hook the speakers up to the analog out because the sound card only has 1/4'' ports. It also has the breakout cable which has S/PDIF Outs and Ins. (I don't know what those are for) The right speaker has a regular TRS connecter that only connects to my onboard sound. And the speaker on the left has one that connects to the S/PDIF. (This would typically go into the right speaker, or at least there is a port for it there) And then I'm going to have to set this all up to work with the guitarport. Very confused with this. If someone could please shed some light that would be awesome.

Edit: Someone told me that I just need adapters to go from 1/4'' to 1/8'', this seems logical. And also I just remembered I have a nice set of professional head phones.

Last edited:
pictures, brand types, links may help fill in some questions.

as I get your read all you want is to hook up your speakers to your soundcard.

you say the soundcard is 1/4"..ok, 50% done..

what type of speakers do you have ..brand name, model etcc.??

First of all thanks in advance.

Edit: Someone told me that I just need adapters to go from 1/4'' to 1/8'', this seems logical. And also I just remembered I have a nice set of professional head phones.

NOPE... dont go from 1/4" to 1/8", because it's going to screw up the quality of the sound, regardless what kind of soundcard you have!! And like CoolCat said, a little more specific on the speaker type would help! And what's plugged in from what to what? Most likely you may just have the wrong combination of speakers and soundcard for your computer... but again, I could be wrong if a little more detail is posted about your set-up!

NOPE... dont go from 1/4" to 1/8", because it's going to screw up the quality of the sound, regardless what kind of soundcard you have!!

Why?

VMAttyV - The Echo is a good soundcard. The 1/4" outs are line level outs, which means they won't drive monitors unless they are powered monitors or you put a power amp in between. It sounds like you're hooking up a set of powered computer speakers with a 1/8" TRS input to carry left/right/gnd. Start saving up for some real monitors, but in the mean time if that's what you have to work with then you'll need a Y adaptor cable to go from two 1/4" outputs from the Echo to a 1/8" TRS jack. That may be hard to find, and you'll end up doing a 1/4" Y cable plus a TRS 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor.
As far as surround, I'd highly suggest you stick to stereo for now.

Back