Help with Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire channels

new2mix

I had a multimix 8 usb 1.0 and thought it was pretty good. I could only send in one stereo track at a time though. I read that the firewire ones could send up to 6 or 8 tracks in at one time. I found one used for under 100$s so i bought it. It changed the way everything is set up on my comp. I used to just set the inputs to the multimix usb and the outputs to the soundcard. Now I have to set the system up to use the multimediamixer to get it to bring it in from the multimix firewire and out from the soundcard. my main problem though is that I can't get any more than channels 1 and 2 to come into the computer. If i have a mic set up in input 1 and 3 and my optios are multimix firewire 1 and firewire 2 then it won't work. I have to have it set up with inputs 1 and 2 working. And I can't even seem to get it to record the whole output as a stereo track anymore. It only record the input one and two as stereo and not the 3,4,5,6,7,8.

any suggestions?

Which drivers are you using?

I think they've had many problems with them, and there have been a couple of updated ones on their website over the last 18 months or so, the newest being just a few weeks old...I have found that all of the updates messed things up, and the originals were most stable.

also, do you use a separate soundcard with the multimix? The Multimix is intended to be a soundcard itself, so that may be causing a problem.

Finally, what software do you use?

I have the thing just running in through the firewire. My computer has a shitty built in soundcard. To be honest I just haven't had time to really read the manual. I tried to update the drivers and it gives me an error. Says I can't update them from 1.3 to 2.0. I have cool edit pro 2.0 and I have Reaper and Cubase that comes with it. It just frustrates me that you can only use the first two channels and all the software only shows the two channels as well.

if i were you, i'd uninstall it through add/remove programs in control panel (anything that's called alesis multimix, or windows installer for alesis), then follow the instructions for installation from the cd, making sure you do everything in the right order, including any restarting. this is important for the install.

don't run any driver updates, make sure that when you turn the multimix on (and then leave it for a few secs) that when you go to control panel > sounds and audio devices that in the audio and voice tabs that the alesis comes up.

make sure all this works first and that you can hear files played through media player or whatever you use. this will mean that the PC will ignore the shitty onboard soundcard and you can then look into the sequencing software.

post back when you've done this.

I use the MM8 FW unit with FL Studio 7 mainly and I can record on all 8 of the seperate channels easily. To record from more than a stereo pair (1 & 2) you need to use the ASIO for Dice driver not the WDM Multimedia. Make sure to set the sound driver to the ASIO version in the preferences or options section of the software program you are using to record, and use a buffer of 256 or so in the Alesis control panel. Hope this helps.

One other thing you might want to watch in the future:

I never buy version 1.0 of ANYTHING.

(You're sure to be a beta tester that way...)

Back