Help. Compressing existing tracks.

SilverSurfer

I have a drum track in WAV format. I want to compress the track. How do I do that on my AW16G when it's on the recorder? Can I record onto the recorder by taking the stereo outs and plugging them into the compressor then into one of the other tracks?

I am not sure how to do this! Any thoughts?

OK, I'll be the one to ask the obvious question. Is the internal AW16G compressor not doing the job? And in what way are you finding it deficient?

ssscientist said:
OK, I'll be the one to ask the obvious question. Is the internal AW16G compressor not doing the job? And in what way are you finding it deficient?

Ok, well I am not aware of my AW16G having an internal compressor. Let me check my docs.

Little tid-bits from the product description ......

Mix and Master Your Music to Perfection
Once all your tracks have been recorded, use the AW16G's advanced mixing and audio processing capabilities to give your song a professionally produced sound. Pan controls let you spread your tracks across the stereo field, and dynamics processing and precision 4-band parametric EQ on all channels allow you to carefully "carve out" a place for each instrument in the mix. Two onboard digital effects processors provide a variety of effects templates for vocals, guitars, bass and drums, which you can use "as is" or as a starting point for creating your own effects library. A total of 13 types of mastering effects are also included, making it possible to give your final recording that extra punch and presence heard on today's commercially produced music CDs. The AW16G uses the same DSP found in other AW Series professional audio workstations, so you are assured the highest standards of quality for your music.

Dynamics Processing on All Channels
Dynamics processing is one of the most important audio production tools used to create a professional-sounding mix. Yet, the AW16G is the ONLY digital audio workstation in its class that gives you compression, expansion, gate, and ducking on ALL channels, providing extremely powerful and flexible dynamics processing to help you get the most out of your recordings.

Looks like it's time to spend some quality time with the manual. :cool:

AW16G Forum

Hey there Silver Surfer,

I am an AW16G user as well. Good question but let me point you toward a better forum for AW16G related questions:

www.dijonstock.com

You can compress with the "G" while tracking or after the fact. I agree with Crankz1.....the AW16G user manual is your friend. Effects libraries are covered in detail in an easy to understand, step-by-step manner. If you don't have a manual post your e-mail address and I'll send you a .pdf version.

Bart

Bartman said:
Hey there Silver Surfer,

I am an AW16G user as well. Good question but let me point you toward a better forum for AW16G related questions:

www.dijonstock.com

You can compress with the "G" while tracking or after the fact. I agree with Crankz1.....the AW16G user manual is your friend. Effects libraries are covered in detail in an easy to understand, step-by-step manner. If you don't have a manual post your e-mail address and I'll send you a .pdf version.

Bart

Awesome, thanks. I've had the thing for a year but honestly I use it just to record tracks and then I x-fer to my PC. I wonder how the compression on the "G" sounds compared to the RNC I bought? I like the RNC a lot and combined with the DMP-3, it's a decent set up for a home recording setup.

I'll check the forums, thanks :)

Back