Guitar/Vocal Phasing Solution?

This may seem a silly question, and in my many years of multitrack recording, I've managed to dodge it by just taking separate tracks, but now I need to know:

When recording an acoustic guitar and vocal played by the same person at the same time, how in the heck do you avoid phasing?

I've tried it a number of times, just with one mic on the guitar and one on the vox, and there's always a boxy phase sound when I do it. I occasionally work with some artists who (unlike me) do better vocal takes while playing their acoustic guitar, and I need a solution.

One thing I tried once was using the Phase Reverse button on my preamp, but it just gave the sound a different boxy tone.

Any secrets?

just make sure that none of the mics are phasing...

the key is seperation

its in the pickup zone of your microphones, if you're doing a stereo micing of the performance (singing and acoustic), you need them pretty far apart... my uncle likes to hook too microphones up and put a wall directly between the mics (but i dont recommend this because the singer has to stare at this verticle line in his face)

phasing is all about diaphrams moving in and out... so think in terms of the microphones...

do not use a condensor for the vocals unless it has a very very close pickup range

and finally, there's always that magical MS micing technique (which i think you shoud focus on trying to use, for this specific type of recording)
(the site takes some time to load, usually)
http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/pages/Microphones.htm#ms

It's pretty hard to avoid in that situation. If you have a couple of mics that'll do figure 8 pattern, they have a significant null point that can be used for isolation.

Track Rat said:
It's pretty hard to avoid in that situation. If you have a couple of mics that'll do figure 8 pattern, they have a significant null point that can be used for isolation.

amen...now mic manufacturers - heed these words and make some small diaphragm figure 8 mics / caps! :eek:

Mike

Back