Greg's general guide to rock drums for NEWBIES!

Yeah, that's some sloppy-ass "drumming". Eeven the generic beat he does at the beginning is horribly executed, sounds like a beginner learning the most basic beat. Even if he did play it well "Greatest drummer of all time" is a ridiculous thing to call him. Not even remotely close.

But besides that, this WAS a good thread. Too bad it got derailed. This was a great "advice" thread. It should have stayed that way.

Yeah, that's some sloppy-ass "drumming". Eeven the generic beat he does at the beginning is horribly executed, sounds like a beginner learning the most basic beat. Even if he did play it well "Greatest drummer of all time" is a ridiculous thing to call him. Not even remotely close.

But besides that, this WAS a good thread. Too bad it got derailed. This was a great "advice" thread. It should have stayed that way.

I said one of them, not THE best of all time. A ton of people were and still are heavily influenced by what he was doing. At the time there wasn't many drummers who were that fast. I'm not a huge fan of Morbid Angel, but they are one of the biggest Death Metal bands. And we're just shooting the shit nothing wrong with that in my opinion. :D

I could probably put any Death Metal drummer no matter how fast or technical and you guys will still think it's shit, but that's ok. I don't mind because most people I know aren't into that kind of music and I'm use to people not liking it. It's cool bros :D

I could probably put any Death Metal drummer no matter how fast or technical and you guys will still think it's shit, but that's ok. I don't mind because most people I know aren't into that kind of music and I'm use to people not liking it. It's cool bros :D

That's not true. I just said Tim Yeung is pretty awesome. I can separate the good drummers from the shit music they play. :D

I could probably put any Death Metal drummer no matter how fast or technical and you guys will still think it's shit, but that's ok. I don't mind because most people I know aren't into that kind of music and I'm use to people not liking it. It's cool bros
Completely not true, but if it makes you feel better to think that, go ahead. This guy is sloppy by any standards, and he has trouble playing a very simple beat. Yes, he's fast. Very fast. That doesn't make a good drummer, though. I've heard some death metal drummers on Youtube that make my jaw drop because they're fast, but they can also PLAY. This guy ain't one of them, in my opinion.

As long as we're derailing a useful thread:

1 bass drum
1 snare
1 tom
1 floor tom
0 Cookie Monster vocals. :D

Anyone that thinks this is not good is either saying that out of spite or just can't appreciate truly great chops and talent. I realize that not everyone cares about "chops", but if we're going to start labelling anyone that picks up a pair of drum sticks as one of the "greatest of all time", we might as well put down one of the TRUE greats of all time.

Right, I can't even begin to comprehend what Buddy Rich does. It's so far over my head that....I just don't know what to think. I'm just numb to it. I'm for sure not knocking him at all, it's just so advanced that it does nothing for me. I can't relate to it.

Ever hear this? Buddy used to go on the most wicked tirades on the bus, giving his band shit. Someone started recording him. This is brutal and hilarious.

That re-mastered version is great because you can actually hear him clearly. :)

:D

Classic!

"You want to step outside and I'll show you what it's like". :D

I feel pretty good knowing that I'll never play in a band with him. I'd hate to have to fire his ass. Imagine how pissed he'd get at that!

Seinfeld actually lifted 3 lines directly from the Bus Tapes.

"We'll take it outside and I'll show you what it's like"-George Costanza

"We'll see how you do up there, without all the assistance"-Jerry

"This guy.......this is not my kind of guy"-Frank Costanza

That show was genius. The Keith Hernandez/JFK spit/assassination incident was fucking brilliant.
Yeah, they cross-refernce a lot of historical stuff, some of it very obscure. But the Keith/JFK/McDowell as the second spitter is genius for sure.

I hear you dude. Buddy is good. I bet he could of done some brutal death metal :D
Fuck that would have been cool. I wonder if he ever played double kik. I know some of those jazz guys had 2 bass drums, but I don't know if it was just to hold up their toms, or if some of them actually played them.

Considering I come from a marching and jazz background, I can definitely relate to Buddy, but he is sooooo far above me its not even funny.

My issue with most death metal drumming is that while they play waaaaay faster than me......I don't care about speed. I can't relate to really fast playing like that. So if you remove that element, what those drummers actually play is kinda lame. I'll take Ringo over them any day.

EDIT: Louie Belleson was the famous jazz guy with two bass drums. He was the one that inspired the early rock guys like Keith Moon and Carmine Appice to get two drums.

I can't imagine BR would have stooped to that level. He didn't even much care for regular rock and roll. There's no way he'd play that ghastly death metal shit.

Back