Greg's general guide to rock drums for NEWBIES!

Well like everything else in death metal, those drums are probably very fake. Or at least edited and doctored up so heavily that they might as well be fake.

No way not fake. Those drummer are fast and good. I remember back in the day some guys around who were who were just starting to get into death metal were debating if the drummers were actually playing the drums or if it was some fake studio stuff they were doing. One of the guys who was a drummer couldn't believe it and the heaviest stuff he was into was Metallica, Megadeath, Iron Maiden etc. A lot of death metal bands are as technically skilled in their style as some of the bad ass jazz bands out there. Very similar in technicality although sounds completely different lol... Check this guy out.

I didn't say they can't play. But have you ever tried an acoustic recording of drums played that fast? It doesn't work out that well without a lot of help. They're simply not hitting the drums hard enough to get a big powerful capture in the mics, and the kicks are a mess. Yeah, they're really played, they play well, and then they're edited, sampled, tweaked, quantized, and God only knows what else to sound like a typewriter. Live, those guys barely move a stick at all. It's all triggers dude. They're playing, playing very fast, but you're not hearing what's actually happening.

I didn't say they can't play. But have you ever tried an acoustic recording of drums played that fast? It doesn't work out that well without a lot of help. They're simply not hitting the drums hard enough to get a big powerful capture in the mics, and the kicks are a mess. Yeah, they're really played, they play well, and then they're edited, sampled, tweaked, quantized, and God only knows what else to sound like a typewriter. Live, those guys barely move a stick at all. It's all triggers dude. They're playing, playing very fast, but you're not hearing what's actually happening.

You should check out a live death metal show if you ever get a chance lol, but I know what you mean about the processing on the drums.

You should check out a live death metal show if you ever get a chance lol, but I know what you mean about the processing on the drums.

I see that horrible crap all the time. The good bands use drum triggers, the bad bands just sound like shit.

Right, and death metal is one nasty rotten apple. :D

It's a rotting, decaying apple filled with maggots and worms :)

Punk use to have that same underground vibe back in the day. The punk rockers grew up, got day jobs and now they only wanna hear their grandpa music. Luckily it's come out now with classic acts such as Blink 182, Green Day, Fall Out Boy, sum 41, Good Charlotte etc. LOL! Oh My Mother Funking Gawd, what the hell happened to punk rock?! That's down right shameful.

It's a rotting, decaying apple filled with maggots and worms :)

Punk use to have that same underground vibe back in the day. The punk rockers grew up, got day jobs and now they only wanna hear their grandpa music. Luckily it's come out now with classic acts such as Blink 182, Green Day, Fall Out Boy, sum 41, Good Charlotte etc. LOL! Oh My Mother Funking Gawd, what the hell happened to punk rock?! That's down right shameful.

Lol. I don't disagree. Those bands suck. That doesn't change the fact that death metal is shit.

Lol. I don't disagree. Those bands suck. That doesn't change the fact that death metal is shit.

You are confusing opinion with fact because musical preference is very disputable and a fact is indisputable. I'm only making an observation and I'm sure there are a lot of people who like those bands. I use to hate punk, country, rap, Tejano, etc. I thought that punk rockers dressed really stupid, looked like clowns and they actually do HAHA. Same thing with cowboys. I always thought it was so funny how people dressed like they were from the country, working on a farm, yet living in a big city. It's a fashion statement or disaster how ever you want to look at it LOL.

Death Metal like every type of music has it's ups and downs. I wouldn't say it's any more shit than Punk, Country, Rap etc. It's just faster and noisier than what you're use to. You can't hear the intricacies because you're ears haven't adapted to the sensory overload that is Death Metal. There are some really cool off-shoots of death metal, like Grincore for example. They took basic punk style riffs and just played them faster and harder and put them to blasting inhuman style drumming.

One of the best drummers of all time right here. Neil Peart who?

Lol. No, death metal is shit. I don't care if it's fact or opinion. I don't care how you compare it to punk or anything else. It's shit. You're not convincing me otherwise by posting more of it. :laughings:

One of the best drummers of all time right here. Neil Peart who?

You're fucking kidding right? Fast yes, good no. Seriously dude, come on. Just listen to the slower intro parts. His simple basic beginner-level single stroke fills speed up and slow down and his double kick timing is garbage. His fills are loose and inconsistent. The kick-snare shuffles are a mess. Seriously, I'm not a metal drummer at all, but I can clearly pick up on how sloppy his mid tempo is. It is on that recording anyway. That's terrible. His fast stuff is just a mash of noise. The upbeat ending section is significantly better than the intro and megaspeed parts, but it's still pretty loose in spots. I'd expect better. That you think he's "one of the best drummers of all time" makes me really question your objectivity.

You're fucking kidding right? Fast yes, good no. Seriously dude, come on. Just listen to the slower intro parts. His simple basic beginner-level single stroke fills speed up and slow down and his double kick timing is garbage. His fills are loose and inconsistent. The kick-snare shuffles are a mess. Seriously, I'm not a metal drummer at all, but I can clearly pick up on how sloppy his mid tempo is. It is on that recording anyway. That's terrible. His fast stuff is just a mash of noise. The upbeat ending section is significantly better than the intro and megaspeed parts, but it's still pretty loose in spots. I'd expect better. That you think he's "one of the best drummers of all time" makes me really question your objectivity.

I just jammed that whole album while I was working out and it's fucking bitching man LOL. Helped me kick it up a bit. Yeah it's real loose and all over the place. It's supposed to be raw and abrasive. It's not a super polished high end release. Over all it's tight enough. I don't hear any inconsistency at all in that track. It's well played as far as I'm concerned lol.

I think you hear what you wanna hear man. I know you're stuck in your own thing and don't often go outside of what you're into. And that's cool man. I dig it. I use to be the same way. So, I understand.

I listen to Rush and still haven't figured out why people think the drumming so great. I've seen pictures of his massive drum kit. It has drums and shit all over the place...LOL To me it still sounds like he's just playing basic drums on a 5 piece kit.

Well buddy, I'm really not trying to poke at you here, I like you dude, you know that, but if that sloppy metal track is good and Neil Peart is bad, then you don't understand drumming. That's not me hearing what I want to hear. That's me hearing what's actually there. I like tons of loose and sloppy stuff. I'm not touting any of that as the greatest players ever though. I'm not a Rush fan. I can tolerate them in small doses. I'm not even a Neil Peart fan. I can't relate to him. So don't think I'm trying to defend them or him or anything. But if you can't tell that Neil Peart is killing it on his drum kit, then again, you don't really know drumming. :o

Well buddy, I'm really not trying to poke at you here, I like you dude, you know that, but if that sloppy metal track is good and Neil Peart is bad, then you don't understand drumming. That's not me hearing what I want to hear. That's me hearing what's actually there. I like tons of loose and sloppy stuff. I'm not touting any of that as the greatest players ever though. I'm not a Rush fan. I can tolerate them in small doses. I'm not even a Neil Peart fan. I can't relate to him. So don't think I'm trying to defend them or him or anything. But if you can't tell that Neil Peart is killing it on his drum kit, then again, you don't really know drumming. :o

I'm not a drummer! HAHA. I don't think you're attacking me in any way lol. I can have a discussion and you don't have to agree with me. I'm not uptight or an extremest when it comes to music. Rush sounds fine I'm not dogging Neil Peart LOL. He's playing real good and all, but it doesn't seem mind blowing or anything to me. It almost seems over rated. I think I mostly admire the speed. I can hear the drums clearly even in the parts that you consider to be noise. Super fast blast beats and I love it. We're talking about a low budget 1989 recording that was probably not even recorded under the best situation. I still love it. To me it's pure awesomeness. Noisy, rebellious, anti-establishment goodness.

I wouldn't say that :thumbs up:

Pete Sandoval (born May 21, 1963) is an American death metal drummer born in Santa Ana, El Salvador. His first significant stint as a drummer was for the grindcore band Terrorizer, formed in 1986, where he began to demonstrate some of his talent. Heavily influenced by the grindcore music around him, Sandoval quickly developed his abilities as a drummer with little formal training or musical education.

In 1988, Sandoval was invited to join the death metal band Morbid Angel. Concurrently, the original lineup of Terrorizer was dissolved after the departures of Sandoval and guitarist Jesse Pintado (who subsequently joined Napalm Death).

Sandoval had never used two bass drums before joining Morbid Angel. He had to practice frequently in order to get his feet up to speed, and recorded the Altars of Madness album within only a couple of months of joining Morbid Angel. According to Morbid Angel guitarist Trey Azagthoth, the band would occasionally walk in on Sandoval passed out on the floor in a pool of sweat. After being woken up, he would immediately say, "Time to get back to work!" After mastering double-bass usage in Morbid Angel, Sandoval also implemented them in Terrorizer's World Downfall album when the band briefly re-united to record it.

According to singer David Vincent, the band once played a prank on Sandoval by making him listen to a band that used a preprogrammed drum machine, and pretended it was a real drummer who could play faster than he could. Sandoval was gutted, and went on to practice until he managed to play faster than the machine.

In 2010, he had to undergo surgery after a prolapsed disc. Not being able to play painlessly for an extended period for up to a year, he was replaced by Tim Yeung for the recording and touring of Morbid Angel's 2011 album Illud Divinum Insanus.

Lol. Really? That's a nice story, and maybe he's better now, but that clip you posted had some sucky drumming.

I'll tell you who is good though at that style, and he's mentioned in that fanpage.....Tim Yeung. that little chinese fucker is fast and precise.

Back