Great 8 channel interface for reasonable amount of $$$$

yetipur

Best multi channel interface for the $$?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm thinking of selling my analog 16 track studio( fostex e-16 and matching 16 chan 450 board and picking up digital.

Not sure what program yet though. Anyone have any comments on what a good multi channel( at least 8 chan) interface for the $$$ is?

Also, if I want to run mono and stereo out board rack effects( lexicons for example) to my digiatal recording, does this get run through the interface as well. I'm a noob sorry.

thanx

I have a RME Fireface 800 and the Octamic 8 pre.

Works great but its not cheap but you get what you pay for.

The one that may be better cost wise is the firestudio by Presonus can be added to using the ADAT connections.

But that my 2 Kw's for what it is worth

Also, if I want to run mono and stereo out board rack effects( lexicons for example) to my digiatal recording, does this get run through the interface as well.
There are some interfaces that have inserts that allow you to patch in outboard hardware such as EQ and compressors for tracking.

As far as reverbs are concerned, depending on what DAW you are using or choose to use, you can run your tracks out of one of the outputs that's hooked up to your rever (ex. Lexicon) and then bring that back in through another set of inputs.

Most decent multichannel interfaces should allow you to do this no sweat.

As for recommendations on particular hardware, I second the question: What's your budget?

I used to have an RME Fireface 800. Hardly used it and eventually sold it when taking a break from recording. It was too good and expensive for what I did or needed anyway and I could use the money back then.

Recently I picked up recording again. Got myself an M-Audio Profire 2626. I had good experiences with M-Audio products in the past and the great set of features were the deciding factor.
(8 analog i/o with 8 pres, adat i/o (2x), spdif i/o, two headphones-outs, two Hi-Z ins)

Couldn't be happier. I have no means to compare it side by side to a Fireface but I'd say the average homereccer won't outgrow the 2626 any time soon.

It cost me like 1/3 of what a new Fireface would have cost me.

I have owned the maudio delta 1010 and the RME Multiface PCI Bundle.

The 1010 got the job done. Not the most stable. Most of the time a reboot would cure anything.

The RME Multiface was a step up in quality not huge but noticeable. It also had the adat I/O expansion to get 16 channels. It also had the headphone output. The control panel is kick butt.

I was always schetchy about those interfaces with on board mic pres. You can't upgrade. To be honest there are alot of things to consider. Some interfaces will and will not do certain things.

I've got the Echo Audiofire 8, which will do 10 if you use a digital preamp for the last two channels. Two built in pre's, and it sounds pretty good to my ears!
They're about $500 new, I've never seen one used but then again...I've never looked.

Here's something I recorded with it:

IMHO, you generally can't go wrong with RME, Apogee, or MOTU. (Of course, I say this as I get ready to return a DOA MOTU 828MK3, but I have statistically significantly bad luck with hardware from every manufacturer on the planet. :D)

as mentioned earlier the delta 1010 gets the job done! and if you keep your eyes open and watch craigslist you can generally find one in the 100-150 range(for the lt, which just doesnt have a breakout box) ive gotten two off of craigslist for 100 apiece and have them chained for 16 ins and outs, you can get more but i have no equipment/converters for the digital ins and outs. As long as you avoid the earliest built ones you should have no reliability issues.

Back