good 80's/90's analog consoles/mixers.

You'll find Shure SM57/58 mics in just about any mic locker...good mics, great price, workhorse go-to options as far as small diaphragm dynamic. Other mainstay options on my list would be Sennheiser 421 (large diaphragm dynamic...toms, instrument), AKG 414 (large diaphragm condenser), Audix D-6 (large diaphragm dynamic for bass cab or kick drum), and my brother has a pair of Shure KSM44s...they sound amazing...they are pricey relatively speaking but wow...side by side use with Shure SM7B (also very nice) and Studio Projects B3 and the KSM44 was a clear winner...the scenario was drum overheads straight to digital performer through a MOTU 8M.

I don't need drum mics actually as i'm using superior drummer and also not bass mics as i will DI it too. I think the only mics i need are for vocals, acoustic guitar for the electric guitar.

That sennheiser 421 i've heard somewhere before, they are used for guitar cabs too? Also i will check the KSM44 out too, Shure truly makes some amazing mics.

The neumann u87 was more of an ambient mic to give some room for the guitar sound. :D

The KSM is very versatile...if try it on anything.

The 421 is used for guitar cab, drum toms, other instrument mic'ing.

Bass DI totally works, but I favor a blend of DI and mic'ing a cabinet. Just something to consider for future.

How would i explain this.

It started first when i was checking out the UAD plugins, when i saw this video, it really set me off as i was really convinced that the difference is so small to the hardware that i had to listen very carefully to hear the minor difference so i didn't even care for the hardware anymore and wanted to for plugins after all:

I was also listening some 90's europop music and remembered that they were always produced with computers and pro tools and few digital sound modules next to them like the roland jv-1080 and they had the exact sound too. Then i was like that if they got the sound that i want with computers from 90's, i'll surely get it with a computer from nowadays, it was a no brainer after that to go ITB.

Hopefully that made some sense. D:

Yeah, ok.

I still use and love tape.

But the technology of today is quite remarkable

If I was just starting to do music today, most likely I'd be completely ITB.

I've got a friend with an Apollo, a MacBook pro, a hardware 1176 compressor, a box of mics and some powered monitors.

He's done 3 records now. Good stuff too.

He'll go on location to where the artists are and his whole studio fits in the back seat of his Honda.

That was impossible 20 years ago!

So technology sure has come along way.

As always, in any era, the outcome is in the skill of the operator.
:D

I started out all in ITB with my multitrack setup after having, but not much using, a 1/4" 4-track (Teac 3340S...which sounded wonderful). I needed portability and loved the power, options and relative portability of a digital setup, but I was increasingly frustrated by what I felt was a constriction on the dynamics of my primary instrument, drums. The digital front end couldn't keep up with the dynamics to my ears. It was missing something...plus the A/D/A converters of the day (mid 90s) started sounding more gritty/grainy/harsh to my ears especially on vocals, so I returned to experimenting with analog gear and that's what got me back into tape. Converter and digital clock technology has advanced so much in the last couple decades since I made the decision to incorporate tape and an analog front end. Like I said earlier I've had the opportunity to use a MOTU 8M on loan from my brother and track drums...amazing...simply sounds amazing and is so easy to get a good sound. I still really love working with tape and an analog mixer, but I feel the day I expected would come has indeed arrived where the converter and clock technology is good enough appease my ears. It just means more options.

The other thing that's good about an "analog process" at the multtracking stage for me, and even at the mixing stage, is I need some boundaries. I'll get lost in too many options and kill the mix with all the tweaking available in a typical DAW. My brother has a good system for what he uses...it's become somewhat focused and he's more disciplined anyway...but for me it's almost good not to have the options but to have to track within some parameters. So that's another reason I like having the analog component.

Yeah, ok.

I still use and love tape.

But the technology of today is quite remarkable

If I was just starting to do music today, most likely I'd be completely ITB.

I've got a friend with an Apollo, a MacBook pro, a hardware 1176 compressor, a box of mics and some powered monitors.

He's done 3 records now. Good stuff too.

He'll go on location to where the artists are and his whole studio fits in the back seat of his Honda.

That was impossible 20 years ago!

So technology sure has come along way.

As always, in any era, the outcome is in the skill of the operator.
:D

Tape's cool always, tho the UAD tape plugins were so authentic to me that if i need some tape in the mix i'll get one of those plugins for it

And exactly! The best thing about the nowdays is that you can get some quality stuff out with a equipment that does take little to none space of your house or where you're recording.

And indeed, i think it's like in the fitness world where the diet is like 80-90% of the whole package so in producing it's like 80-90% in the hands of the producer. D:

I think i might get that API plugin as a compressor, i'll check out the 1176 too if they have a plugin of it.

And it is understandable that if someone had collected analog gear for years before the plugin and digital stuff came and keeps using them, i would probably do the same with the ITB, not knowing what the future holds. :D

The KSM is very versatile...if try it on anything.

The 421 is used for guitar cab, drum toms, other instrument mic'ing.

Bass DI totally works, but I favor a blend of DI and mic'ing a cabinet. Just something to consider for future.

I'll check the ksm out. And i can also consider the blending thingie.

I started out all in ITB with my multitrack setup after having, but not much using, a 1/4" 4-track (Teac 3340S...which sounded wonderful). I needed portability and loved the power, options and relative portability of a digital setup, but I was increasingly frustrated by what I felt was a constriction on the dynamics of my primary instrument, drums. The digital front end couldn't keep up with the dynamics to my ears. It was missing something...plus the A/D/A converters of the day (mid 90s) started sounding more gritty/grainy/harsh to my ears especially on vocals, so I returned to experimenting with analog gear and that's what got me back into tape. Converter and digital clock technology has advanced so much in the last couple decades since I made the decision to incorporate tape and an analog front end. Like I said earlier I've had the opportunity to use a MOTU 8M on loan from my brother and track drums...amazing...simply sounds amazing and is so easy to get a good sound. I still really love working with tape and an analog mixer, but I feel the day I expected would come has indeed arrived where the converter and clock technology is good enough appease my ears. It just means more options.

The other thing that's good about an "analog process" at the multtracking stage for me, and even at the mixing stage, is I need some boundaries. I'll get lost in too many options and kill the mix with all the tweaking available in a typical DAW. My brother has a good system for what he uses...it's become somewhat focused and he's more disciplined anyway...but for me it's almost good not to have the options but to have to track within some parameters. So that's another reason I like having the analog component.

It sure has come a long way. Can't even wait what we can get in the future, especially the equipment getting smaller all the time is a really interesting concept.

I actually remember that i got mentioned somewhere else too that the 90's interfaces weren't that great. I think i can actually check that motu 8m if it fits for me.

Thank god i gave a chance for plugins and ITB, will be so much easier to start now.

What equipment do you currently have?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who can advise and help you get up and running. (if you're open to it)

What equipment do you currently have?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who can advise and help you get up and running. (if you're open to it)

Absolutely open to it! And i got currently the cubase 5, superior drummer, guitar, amp and a cab and an old line6 ux1 interface.

A new interface that works via usb would be nice, my laptop does not have thunderbolt port unfortunatelly.

I think i'll do what a man has to do after a major fuckup.

I'm deeply sorry for the meltdown that i caused here yesterday and all the people that i offended by saying really offensive things towards everyone in here. I was acting like a fucker and i acknowledge it now.

After browsing the thread again i realized that it was me who actually continued the ITB debate by arguing against it over and over again and being stubborn. None of you really tried to shovel it down my throat nor force the idea to me, it was just a suggestion and i should've taken that in a friendly manner, not like i did yesterday.

Anyways, i just created this account to do the apology and set the things in a way that they're supposed to be set.

So yeah, my apologizes for the mess that i caused here yesterday.

Apology accepted man. Now let's just try to get along k?

Welcome to the forum! :)

Absolutely open to it! And i got currently the cubase 5, superior drummer, guitar, amp and a cab and an old line6 ux1 interface.

A new interface that works via usb would be nice, my laptop does not have thunderbolt port unfortunatelly.

I can definitely help you with Cubase if needed. :)

Yes, the interface is very similar...enhancements in features and the audio engine were the biggest changes from version to version, but I found it very easy to find my way around Cubase 6 after doing two full-length projects in Cubase 4.

Regarding the MOTU 8M, I'm not trying to confuse you or steer you from the Apollo product. If you are really excited about the UAD plugins and there is integration with the Apollo interface, seriously consider going that route. There is REALLY something to be said for integration. It is one reason I chose Cubase way-back-when because there was ready integration with the Yamaha gear I had at the time...less futzing with getting stuff to talk to each other and configure things and more plug-and-play. The Apollo products and UAD plugs come highly rated. I just know I was blown away by how good my brother's new MOTU hardware sounded...it was exciting.

...and then boys and girls, with one, two strokes of his mighty sword, the Digital Prince cut the ropes that bound the Analog Princess. He then took her in his arms and kissed her.
All across the land, the mountain people of the Digital Kingdom and the people in valleys of Analog Land rejoiced!!!
They knew that the days of the Analog-Digital Wars were now over...and that together, they could hopefully one day defeat the evil troll, Shitty Audio.

That's how, on the day after Christmas, in the year 2016 of the Third Age of Man, it came to pass that an ITB discussion took place in the Analog Forum...because suddenly, as the Analog Princess was freed and the dark clouds lifted, the people realized that they were more stronger as one than they could ever be alone.
That's how it came to be that we now celebrate that day as Hybrid Audio Day, every December 26th...and the people lived happily ever after.

The End

They pretty much have the same functionality all the way up to Cubase 9. Setup and basic functions are all the same.

Yes, the interface is very similar...enhancements in features and the audio engine were the biggest changes from version to version, but I found it very easy to find my way around Cubase 6 after doing two full-length projects in Cubase 4.

Regarding the MOTU 8M, I'm not trying to confuse you or steer you from the Apollo product. If you are really excited about the UAD plugins and there is integration with the Apollo interface, seriously consider going that route. There is REALLY something to be said for integration. It is one reason I chose Cubase way-back-when because there was ready integration with the Yamaha gear I had at the time...less futzing with getting stuff to talk to each other and configure things and more plug-and-play. The Apollo products and UAD plugs come highly rated. I just know I was blown away by how good my brother's new MOTU hardware sounded...it was exciting.

Yeah that what i was thinking, well that's good, at least i can be helped in that situation. :D

I see, well in that case i think i'll go for the apollo interface, that actually looks pretty promising. Tho only thing that bothers me is that should i go with that twin version or with the standard apollo 8 that's a rack unit? The one that has a usb is the one that works for my laptop at least.

...and then boys and girls, with one, two strokes of his mighty sword, the Digital Prince cut the ropes that bound the Analog Princess. He then took her in his arms and kissed her.
All across the land, the mountain people of the Digital Kingdom and the people in valleys of Analog Land rejoiced!!!
They knew that the days of the Analog-Digital Wars were now over...and that together, they could hopefully one day defeat the evil troll, Shitty Audio.

That's how, on the day after Christmas, in the year 2016 of the Third Age of Man, it came to pass that an ITB discussion took place in the Analog Forum...because suddenly, as the Analog Princess was freed and the dark clouds lifted, the people realized that they were more stronger as one than they could ever be alone.
That's how it came to be that we now celebrate that day as Hybrid Audio Day, every December 26th...and the people lived happily ever after.

The End

8bb797978834ebd9e16ddb0fec173691.jpg

So touching.

The End

Good...

...Lord.

:laughings::eek:

Yeah that what i was thinking, well that's good, at least i can be helped in that situation. :D

I see, well in that case i think i'll go for the apollo interface, that actually looks pretty promising. Tho only thing that bothers me is that should i go with that twin version or with the standard apollo 8 that's a rack unit? The one that has a usb is the one that works for my laptop at least.

Most one-man bands can get by with just a 2 channel interface like the Twin, especially you will be doing virtual drums. BUT!!!! UA is offering a free satellite unit if you buy a rackmount Apollo. The satellite unit has a UAD-2 quad card which is a lot of processing power. The promo expires on Dec 31. Look at the details to see if it's worth it for you. I think the satellites are thunderbolt or firewire.

Back