Getting a low Hiss while recording...

fuzkabir

Getting a low Hiss while recording...why? How to reduce?

Interface : Scarlett 2i2
Computer : Dell Vostro 3450
Software : Audacity on Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
Audio Driver: Realtek High Definition Audio

I got a hiss while recording using my interface or without it. Firstly I got the hiss, so I unplugged my Microphone and record. I found low hiss but that is so bothering. It is like old cassette player sound playing gaps between the tracks. Then I plugged off Scarlett 2i2 and disabled all other recording devices like Laptop mic only left Stereo Mix enabled, I received same sound after recording.
So what is causing the noise you think and how can I prevent this or reduce this after recording.

Thanks

PS. USB interface is installed with latest drivers.

Last edited:
Well, one thing that jumps out at me is that you have the audio driver specified as Realtek High Definition Audio. That'll be the one that comes with the built in audio chip that will be on your motherboard. The Scarlett 2i2 should have its own driver which you can download from the Focusrite site.

You may need to do some tinkering...I seen to recall that Audacity (as installed) can't use ASIO drivers because they don't pay the appropriate licensing fee to Steinberg. I believe the Audacity site has some instructions on how to make your computer use the drivers with things you install yourself. Otherwise, I'd expect to be able to specify MME or WASAPI as the driver type with the Focusrite.

Otherwise, download the free trial of Reaper--you can use it as long as you need to and it's only $60 if/when you decide to buy it. With Reaper you can definitely use the Focusrite ASIO drivers so you can see if that helps the hiss problem.

Thanks @Bobbsy once again. Actually I have adobe audition along with a purchased adobe CC. But some reason the Audition was not working. So I tried with Audacity. I saw the AISO in audition for long but never understood what and why are they useful. But this is a lesson. Working perfectly.
Although off-topic, in usb-condenser-microphone-picks-less-background-noise you suggested me to buy sE Electronics X1 Studio Bundle along-with Alesis iO2 Express. I found the Whole X1 but Alesis not available so I purchased this Scarlett 2i2. It's working nice. Thanks again.

Back