Flat wounds, half rounds, why?

One is through the bridge, the other through the body. No difference in tone that I've noticed.

Yeah my luthier said through the bridge is brighter, but i don't hear it. Maybe it varies by model.
i strung it through the body then changed it to the bridge, and it sounds exactly the same. He was pretty adamant about it, but at least on this bass I notice nothing. I did notice more sustain through the body, though. I personally like the shorter sustain b/c it sounds more like an upright, and i don't have any situation where i'd want a bass note to sustain for very long.

Well I bought a set of flats for my bass and both a set of flats and half rounds for one of my electrics. I'll find out what it's all about this week.

You're going to have to give those flats a good long time to break in, depending on how much you play.

You're going to have to give those flats a good long time to break in, depending on how much you play.

That's good to know. When I first changed strings on my uke they stretched forever and I thought I did something wrong, but then they broke in and they were fine.When I put strings on my guitars,I play two songs and they're good.

Rounds break in faster and get old faster. Flats break in slower and last much, much longer.

Back