Fixing a VU light on a A8 Reel to Reel?

ed_thebear

Hi,
Does anybody know how to replace the VU light on the A8 machine. I have looked in the service manual and cannot see anything on it at all. I can't even see where the voltage of the lamp is mentioned. Can anyone help please?
Ed

Based on what I know of vintage Tascams,...

the VU bulbs were usually 8V axial type bulbs, which were solder-in. About half the Tascams I ever looked at had 8V fuse type bulbs, where they had hard metal caps on each end like a fuse, in stead of two wire axial leads. You kind of have to get into the unit and look before you know which one you'll need. Either bulb can be hard to find, but the axial bulb is usually more available than the fuse type bulb.

I have a disassembled A8 in a flight case that I can get out and look at to define further.

What's implied is you'll have to remove the front and back covers to gain access to the meters, then split apart each meter to replace the bulb.

Alt, there is a mod that will let you install LEDs into most similar vintage meters, and if you dig hard enough in the forums you may find a few Tascams that have had the LED upgrade.

:spank::eek:;)

Oh, Thank you so much. I do have some Tascam 38 spare ones here. I will set about taking the A8 apart right now. Thanks again,
Ed

Back