Portastudio power jack repair

B

bgartrell

New member
Hello. This is my first post here. I’ve been digging around for quite some time trying to find an answer to this and I’m hoping that this community can help!

The power jack on my Portastudio 424 is loose. I’ve taken apart the machine and have confirmed that it’s loose on the board as well as inside of the jack. The power cable wiggles inside of the jack even if it is held sturdily on the board. So it seems ripe to replace as even a re-soldering (which I’ve already tried) still leaves the inside of the jack wiggly.

I’m looking to replace both the jack and my power cable but cannot figure out what an equivalent replacement part should be. Does anyone know what the right part is?

Here are a bunch of photos of what I’m working with attached. In the photo of the bottom of the board, I circled the two parts of the jack that are wiggly.

Thanks so much for the help in advance! If there’s anything else I can provide, please let me know.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4107.webp
    IMG_4107.webp
    685.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4107.webp
    IMG_4107.webp
    685.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4106.webp
    IMG_4106.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4109.webp
    IMG_4109.webp
    149 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4124.webp
    IMG_4124.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4127.webp
    IMG_4127.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4126.webp
    IMG_4126.webp
    88.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4125.webp
    IMG_4125.webp
    93.9 KB · Views: 6
If you're going to change the socket on the board, you're going to need a solder sucker, and a soldering iron that gets hot enough.
I wonder if the socket is actually faulty. Perhaps it is just consumer level components, and a bit of wobble is part of the package.
The most important thing is whether the socket pinches the plug enough to make a good connection.
I would take a look at sockets on supplier websites:

 
It looks like the solder is cracked around the terminal on the right side pic 4126. Is the jack loose on the board? If the terminal leg is loose at the solder pad, I would reflow it and see if that solves the problem. A lot of connectors have some play built in for easy alignment when they are connected. Replace it if there are intermittent connection issues.

If you replace the jack, then Take Ray's suggestion and get a solder suck or mine and get solder wick. Either one works. I use the solder wick because it takes up less space in my travel electric tool box.
 
I agree with the above. The plug wiggling a little in the socket is probably not a problem,
but the socket wiggling on the board is.

I'd just re-flow the existing solder joints and assess it from there.
If you can have it so the component is touching your bench while you work, then you should be able to put a little pressure on the board while you're doing it,
ensuring that you solder the connector in place flush to the board.

It can be tricky to get things like that to flow if you're not experienced. I'd recommend heating that area of the board up first, even if only with a hair-drier.


If the solder isn't flowing like liquid then the component (and/or board) isn't hot enough. Be patient.
Flux helps.
 
Back
Top