Firewire --> USB?

perotis

I have a presonus firepod that uses firewire. ny conputer does not have firewire, so ive ordered a firewire to USB cable.

My question is am I goinf to have problems using USB? Can I get 8 channels working on USB? If i get another unit and daisy chain it, will 16 channels be too much?

Any other thoughts would be welcome too.

I don't know how a firewire to usb converter would work. The Presonus interface driver is expecting to communicate via firewire protocol.

I don't know how a firewire to usb converter would work. The Presonus interface driver is expecting to communicate via firewire protocol.

That's what I thought. The guy is wasting his money with useless rubbish.

Looking at the user's past posts, he bought his computer before even checking it had a firewire card and was even told to buy one to be able to use it. Yet they still went for a pointless cable that makes no sense. I'd say they deserve what they get from not taking sound advice they recieved May of LAST YEAR.

That's what I thought. The guy is wasting his money with useless rubbish.

Looking at the user's past posts, he bought his computer before even checking it had a firewire card and was even told to buy one to be able to use it. Yet they still went for a pointless cable that makes no sense. I'd say they deserve what they get from not taking sound advice they recieved May of LAST YEAR.

Gee. thanks for the constructive critisizim :spank:

"Can I use a FireWire to USB adapter to connect my FireWire interface?

No, it is not possible to connect a FireWire interface to your computer's USB port via a FireWire to USB adapter since this connection is not sufficient to run a FireWire audio interface.

If your computer does not have a built in FireWire port you should check if it has a PCI or PCIe slot (desktop computer); or a PCMCIA or Expresscard slot (laptop computer). "

Straight from a repeatable manufacturers site after three seconds of googling.

The 'easy' way around something is always harder. Just buy a pci firewire card/express firewire card or usb interface.

Gee. thanks for the constructive critisizim :spank:

You were told a year and a half ago what you should do and you didn't even do it correct then. Now you want help with the same thing and are getting the same answer. We've all given you the help you need.

You were told a year and a half ago what you should do and you didn't even do it correct then. Now you want help with the same thing and are getting the same answer. We've all given you the help you need.

Sounds a bad case of ADD. Wait, what were we talking about?

There are no shortcuts to hooking up gear, unless you want to create crap. If you wish to have your recordings sound good, and care about the quality, then make your purchases based on research and advice. If not, Audacity/built in soundcard/and a USB mic are all you need. :)

...ive ordered a firewire to USB cable.

Those are made for burst file copying from cameras, NOT sustained transfer of audio streams.

They do NOT work right with audio interfaces.

You need a real firewire care and one with Texas Instruments chips if you want it to work properly.

I have a presonus firepod that uses firewire. ny conputer does not have firewire, so ive ordered a firewire to USB cable.

My question is am I goinf to have problems using USB? Can I get 8 channels working on USB? If i get another unit and daisy chain it, will 16 channels be too much?

Any other thoughts would be welcome too.

Buying a firepod and then a computer without the correct inputs is pretty dumb... :facepalm:

However, my ultimate question is why are you still asking the same questions about stuff over a year later? Has your gear just been sitting dormant this whole time?

Buying a firepod and then a computer without the correct inputs is pretty dumb... :facepalm:

However, my ultimate question is why are you still asking the same questions about stuff over a year later? Has your gear just been sitting dormant this whole time?

Probably a drummer. Hey wait????

Strangely enough, because a FIREPOD is a FireWire AVC device, there's a very narrow possibility that it might work with a FireWire-USB adapter if the adapter is designed generically enough.

That said, I'd expect the latency to blow goats, and the reliability to be utter garbage. :D

Strangely enough, because a FIREPOD is a FireWire AVC device, there's a very narrow possibility that it might work with a FireWire-USB adapter if the adapter is designed generically enough.

That said, I'd expect the latency to blow goats, and the reliability to be utter garbage. :D

It would be interesting to the the buffer size control gui for this adapter. A little slider that goes from 1024 samples to a image of a goat being blown. :D

Back