e47 Restoration - Finished

PhilGood

Juice box hero
Hey guys,

Thought I'd post the final pics of my restoration of my two Soundelux e47's that was part of that restoration project I began more than a year ago. It was part of the batch of mics I recieved from the guy who bought a load of left over parts in an auction. In exchange for fixing up a bunch of mics to be usable for him he gave me a few as payment. I finished the e47's recently and here's the results.

I didn't document it as well as I should have.

Basically almost none of the mics worked or had shells and grills. These two e47's were pieced together from leftovers, I rebuilt the circuits and fixed them up, had the bodies machined from aluminum tubing and fashioned the grills myself from production scraps, then drilled them and did the finish by hand. I tested them with MXL capsules and then once finished installed K47 capsules. I will probably replace them later with M7's from Siegfried Thiersch.

I took my dear sweet time, but got them done, so here they are:

Attachments

• Step1.jpg
    Step1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Step2.jpg
    Step2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Step3.jpg
    Step3.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 56
Finished, front and back WITH K47 capsules installed:

Attachments

• Finished-Front.jpg
    Finished-Front.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Finished-Back.jpg
    Finished-Back.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
One other note:

I decided to make the grills as close as possible to the u47 instead of the way Bock did them. I felt it might help the sound be more true to the original.

I took one up to Stephen Paul audio and Tony and I fired it up. After it warmed up, Tony's unofficial impression was that they definitely had a u47 vibe. Pretty close, but I will not put words in his mouth. That wouldn't be professional.

In my opinion they sound rich and round with the similar top end to the u47 and the nice big bottom.

The tubes pictured are not the final tubes. The aren't even the right ones. They're there just for the images.

Very cool once you get some tracks with them post them up.
Now the last few pics show them a golden color, is that reflection of what they are sitting on?

Possibly the table. The tubing below the grill housing is a metallic nickel finish, but its color is probably enhanced by the lighting.

The pics below them showing the test capsules is accurate on the color.

Possibly. I've had a Country project on hold and I thought these, plus my e49's and my new Ela M 251 with remote pattern adjustment will do nicely on the project. I'm going to try to do a song or two with mjr here in the near future.

My job and familt take up so much time, though. Need to make sure I start getting on the ball again.:)

Great I can't wait to hear about the results.
And once again great job those mics look awesome.
And when you start mass production on these let me know for right now I'll put in an advance order for two!!!!

These cost a pretty penny to restore. I can understand why they retail for over $4500 each.

If I could find a way to mass produce these and still maintain exceptional quality and sound, you'd be the first person I'd call.

Mic techs charge a lot for a reason!

those are great lookin' - I hope you get a chance to post some recorded samples. Congrats on finishing the project!!!!

Back