Down by the River-Collaboration

Here is the newest remix of the Down by the River song-some different levels, panning and some re-recording. Hopefully I straightened out some issues that were commented on.:D
-----------------------Tony

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=541176&songID=5849289

Just had a listen here at work Tony and I think you have tamed the harshness in the lead guitar, definitely more warmth in the solo's now. The rhythm guitars (12 string) sound fine to me where they are sitting.

Definitely a more even mix here Tony! :)

Just had a listen here at work Tony and I think you have tamed the harshness in the lead guitar, definitely more warmth in the solo's now. The rhythm guitars (12 string) sound fine to me where they are sitting.

Definitely a more even mix here Tony! :)

Thanks a lot Gorty-I'm slowly learning a bit about mixing......now if I can please that Vixen True........:eek:

I always like a good thwack on the snare. Sounds great. You might want to lower the drums 1 or 2 db's. The kick and bass guitar are seperated perfectly. The kick just needs to be lowered a notch to blend along with the overall low end of the bass guitar.

12 string sounds muddy and panned too much towards the center. The mud might dissapear if you pan them a little farther out to each side. Are the 12 strings on seperate tracks or doubled onto one track? If you can pan them, try it and leave the tele more towards the middle. The tele will take less away from the vocal and everything else thats pretty much straight up and down in the middle.

The Vocal is a perfect track. What effect is that on the vocal? Hall or room verb with some chorus?

Just my 2cents.

Tony....the vocals are still spot on! Clear and pristine to my ears and loud! You are da man...errr...doc!!:D

This mix is by far, the best one...at least to me.

I am glad you've kept the intro ebow as well...cool stuff.

With that delicious vocal/backup of yours brought up ...and those 12 string tracks tamed, they now frame your vocals, rather than compete with them. Did you pan them wider and bring down the volume, as you said you might do Tony?

The solos have been brought out in the mix as they should be ...tele and paul are sounding good! They make for great company!

Snare tone still sounding great...the drums seem to be just as loud as before, but the vox just seems to jump out there now....so did you leave the drums as was and just raised the vocals and solos?...or did you take down the drums, bring up the vox and solos and then raised the volume of the overall mix? Or was it in the panning, cause the drums seem to be sitting in a more defined space than the other mixes?..and have I confused you yet?

Listening on headphones make your vocals more up close and personal and they just croon to my heart...until you pull out that 45~!.:eek::D

The mix really good Tony. The 12 strings are definitely more prominent in the cans and a tiny bit on the muddy side, than they are on my monitors...but still aren't eating up the vocals as they once were and the leads kick ass being more in your face or should I say ears.;)

Drums sound excellent in the can mix too but the snare not quite as snappy.

And that outro still gets to me, no matter how many times I listen, or what I listen with.

Although I find some nit-pic differences in "sounds" between the headphones and the monitors, they both work ...you may wind up tinkering with this a bit more...but careful not to tinker the fairy dust off it....;)

Hey, getting there is half the fun!!!:eek::D

I am going to have a listen now doctor...;)

PS...love the pic on soundclick!!!:D

I think Elsa Lancaster as the Bride of Frankenstein is maybe her best role, for sure one of my favorites. She put so much emotion into all of her lines...........Screech!!....Hiss!!.....:eek:

I always like a good thwack on the snare. Sounds great. You might want to lower the drums 1 or 2 db's. The kick and bass guitar are seperated perfectly. The kick just needs to be lowered a notch to blend along with the overall low end of the bass guitar.

12 string sounds muddy and panned too much towards the center. The mud might dissapear if you pan them a little farther out to each side. Are the 12 strings on seperate tracks or doubled onto one track? If you can pan them, try it and leave the tele more towards the middle. The tele will take less away from the vocal and everything else thats pretty much straight up and down in the middle.

The Vocal is a perfect track. What effect is that on the vocal? Hall or room verb with some chorus?

Just my 2cents.

Thanks for the listen and comments Kramer!
The 12 strings are panned hard left and right, I improvised a single coil pickup that is temporarily mounted in the soundhole and played it through a small tube amp-so there is some tube distortion happening and one 12 string is also going through a Leslie type effect pedal called a Vibro-Thang. There actually is a Tele rhythm track dead center recorded direct with a Fender Tweed amp simulator and chorus, the two effects might be adding a bit of mud maybe.

I must have just gotten lucky with all the vocal tracks, the harmonies sounded very odd when they were soloed but blended together well! The vocal effect was the Studio Reverb in Audition-the effect is called Vocal Reverb(large).....

Gotta go-I have a new puppy that wants to play and he's trying to dance on my computer keyboard:D--again--Thanks!!

Thanks for the listen and comments Kramer!
The 12 strings are panned hard left and right, I improvised a single coil pickup that is temporarily mounted in the soundhole and played it through a small tube amp-so there is some tube distortion happening and one 12 string is also going through a Leslie type effect pedal called a Vibro-Thang. There actually is a Tele rhythm track dead center recorded direct with a Fender Tweed amp simulator and chorus, the two effects might be adding a bit of mud maybe.

I must have just gotten lucky with all the vocal tracks, the harmonies sounded very odd when they were soloed but blended together well! The vocal effect was the Studio Reverb in Audition-the effect is called Vocal Reverb(large).....

Gotta go-I have a new puppy that wants to play and he's trying to dance on my computer keyboard:D--again--Thanks!!

Wow, they're already hard left and right? I don't have headphones hooked up and in my monitors it sounds like they are more towards the middle. I guess it's the tele with the chorus on it thats blending along with the 12 strings, which are in effect, natural chorus. You might want to play around with the tele track and pull the effects off to get a more natural sound with it to play off of the 12 strings. It's all about experimenting eh? Again, really nice job on everything.

Sorry it took so long to get to this. Contrary to appearances, I'm not huge NY fan, but I can understand why that might be suspected.

Anyway, I really liked the track, but I'm unfamiliar with the original. I think all the parts sit very well. My only tiny nit-pick, and it's very tiny. On the second to last la in the oooh-la-la-la-la, it drops down to a lower note. It sounds like your not quite getting on pitch there, like you're dropping to a normal spoken voice.

But seriously, it's very good.

Sorry it took so long to get to this. Contrary to appearances, I'm not huge NY fan, but I can understand why that might be suspected.

Anyway, I really liked the track, but I'm unfamiliar with the original. I think all the parts sit very well. My only tiny nit-pick, and it's very tiny. On the second to last la in the oooh-la-la-la-la, it drops down to a lower note. It sounds like your not quite getting on pitch there, like you're dropping to a normal spoken voice.

But seriously, it's very good.

Just glad you got a listen and a comment Arvo-especially as you are another Illinois guy as well...oops maybe I should have kept that undercover:o
I'm pretty sure the harmony is close to the Neil Young original-on the high harmony I sang the last note higher and the lower part's note dropped down-though I really will have to give the original a listen to be sure...

Back