"Falling"

K-dub

This Friday night rocker comes w/ a weird story.

I formed a band to go out live and play in 2016. We started as all original, but soon discovered getting gigs was easier when covers were added. As we learned the material, in 2016, we'd record the pieces for critique and memory.

The end lead in this piece was recorded by our guitarist in 2016. Covid killed the band in 2020, but we stuck around for a bit and re-recorded material at our guitarist's house. This version was tracked in 2021 - five years after the lead was originally sent to me via the internet for insertion into the 2016 version. I have NO IDEA where the 2016 project went to. It's lost to the ages because it was always meant as a "practice" piece.

The 2021 version was great ... but for a very clumsy lead by our guitarist at the end. The rest of his performance was solid.

But in 2021 we'd stopped recording, and he kind of gave up doing music. Odd, but absolutely true.

I'm waking up a couple morning ago, in the middle of an album rearrangement project, and I remember that he sent me the separate lead part over the internet. "That's gotta be SOMEWHERE.", was my thought. Sure enough, I found it in an obscure online FTP site I rarely use.

It fit perfectly - note for note - measure for measure - beat on beat.

Result is above - for the first public listen ever - post-production.

Any/all comment warmly appreciated! Have a great weekend!

It's a very nice lead break. Amazing how well it fits over a different version recorded 5 years later. That's some tempo matching. Were you actually trying to keep the tempo identical to the original?

It's a very nice lead break. Amazing how well it fits over a different version recorded 5 years later. That's some tempo matching. Were you actually trying to keep the tempo identical to the original?
Nope. Total happy accident. I'd originally expected we'd just work on the project until it was completed. I hadn't even thought about the original lead he'd sent me until I woke up that morning and remembered it out of the blue. I knew I'd lost the original project to the ethers. All the 2016 files just vanished into I don't know where.

I'd expected having to work with the timing etc ... but when I popped it into place, it was like it had always been there.

Seriously... you put this together from remnant pieces of guitar work... unreal.
Thanks Jeff! I wish I could confess it was a struggle, but since tempo and timing were note perfect, all I had to do was make it align right and it fit.

Back