"Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds .... the vocal reberb

endserenading81

Hello ALL!

I love the way the vocals sound on that song.

So on that one classic track from the 80's, from the way the lead vocals sound, I am really guessing this is what's going on, at least on the reverb end of it.

2 vocal tracks.

On 1. Clear EQ, short delay with hi and low cut, and mono reverb (plate maybe).
On 2. Hi pass short stereo delay, Hi pass Stereo Reverb (very clear, hi quality, maybe Lexicon.)

It sounds like the only time that the Stereo Reverb is triggered on that recording is with the hi Ss and such. Sounds great! I know this is a common trick. Do you hear it?

So, what do you guys hear in there? I know this is very basic, I am not a pro mixer, but would love to know ALL the ways the big studios did this.

Let me know ALL the effects used, EQing techniques, routing of audio, etc.

Thanks!
Rob

Hey Rob - one of my favorite vocal track as well from that era.
Could very well be verbs out of a Eventide H3000.

Hard to nail it down though for they didn't even want to record this song written by someone else and never put it on (at the time) their 6thalbum.

So on that one classic track from the 80's

OK, let's get on thing straight. There is no such thing as "Classic rock from the 80's". The 80's sucked!!! :D

Funny thing is, if anyone called "Simple Minds" a "Rock band" back then, they would have been laughed out of the room. They were definitely considered "Alternative" at the time. The so-called rock bands of the 80's had Miss Clairol -Commercial hair and wore spandex. Def Leppeard, Bon Jovi, Poison...those were the rock bands of the 80's. So, like I said, the 80's sucked!!!! :D

OK, what were we talking about again???? :eek:

Back