Do you really buy that expensive recording software?

Do you buy that expensive recording software, or just download it?(Read authors post)

• I buy it. I like to support the creator.

Votes: 564 41.2%
  • I download it. To hell with the creator.

Votes: 305 22.3%
  • I do both. I have mixed feelings on the subject.

Votes: 501 36.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This must be the longest continually updated thread on the internet. I wonder how long until the forum software kicks it out for being too long...

:confused: Uh? Of course. I buy music as well :eek:. On cd for that matter,:eek: :eek:have probably 500-600 cds and growing. I prefer it that way. Nothing beats a tangible product. You can't hold an image as you listen to the music.

Well my friend has a pirated version of Cubase. He has seen some success and is trying to figure out whether buying the same or similar product would truly be worth it. I had't gotten the time to mess around with the differences myself.

The differences are stability, and the peace in knowing you don't have the chance of going to prison by using it. Not to mention that newer versions of Cubase have more features than the cracked ones. Tell your friend to buy Cubase 6. :D

Not sure if I ever wrote a reply to this thread being it is so long, but yes I do buy my software. I don't have a good excuse not to.

Yes I usually buy my software when it's promotional or there is a huge discount.

I bought cakewalk XI essentials for $64.00 and upgraded a month later for $149.00
( promo for this February 2012) to the producer edition so it was a good deal for me!

cheers
RJ

I've bought my software.

But what really pisses me off is when they upgrade and demand you must upgrade with them.
That's like forcing you to keep up to date all the time.
Do I need to update? My computer that I am writing this text on, right now, is 13 years old!
YES, my computer, if it were human, is old enough to get a girl pregnant!

On the one hand, stealing is wrong, but how many of you have complained about how hardware and software
companies steal from you by NOT making their products backwards compatable?
About two years ago, I had to upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP because website after website were telling me
to upgrade my browser. Ok, So I try to upgrade my browser and I am told that my op system is outdated... BINGO! Corporate thieves
identified! So... if I want to continue surfing the net to my favorite sites, I HAVE to upgrade! I go to the puter store and
get a copy of XP sp3. I install it and now.... I have no audio for my soundblaster live value card... Soundblaster no longer
makes a card for my old board that posseses the features my card has. BUT... scouring the net I found a patch but the
only thing is, some of the features I once enjoyed, I cannot access without a major headache in the process.
ALSO... XP doesn't like some of my older programs... BINGO! Microsoft is stealing my programs which I have legally purchased.

Does anyone see a pattern here??
The Hardware and Software companies are in kahoots and stealing from it's own customers!
My next PC system looks like it going to have to be either a Mac or Windows 7.
I just wonder fudged up that experience is going to be.
Sorry, we no longer support your audio recording and plug-ins software, please upgrade and have a nice day. :)
What's worse, is that you get the likes of the US government stepping in by coming up with all kinds of SOPA/PIPA like laws.
This is a marriage of Corporations and Government and the last I checked that adds up to Fascism. Remember book burning???

Then you get baboons who tell you to shut up and accuse you of stealing when it is not the case at all.
I spent a small fortune on my software and by the time I got used to it, I am told it's obsolete.

People, this is the information super highway and in real life, I can STILL drive a 50 year old car down the highway
with no problems at all.
All I can say to the young people is... you're screwed. Because it's going to get worse.
I mean... you have to have a thumb print to turn on your computer?????
Are you kidding me?
NO! We're not!
"YOU are a thief!! and you MIGHT be a Terrorist! WE DON"T TRUST YOU! and We WILL kill you before you can hurt any one of us!"
Young people, you had better pull your heads out of your asses and get a clue what's unfolding before your very eyes.

You want to fight piracy? Wise up and find out who the REAL pirates are!
Big Money, Big Corporations, Big Government!

the 150 dollar updates every year are REALLY annoying. i spend my hard earned money on a program when i could have easily pirated it. and they thank me by charging another 150$ to stay updated every year. not cool. updates should be free imo .. or at the very most 50 bucks. i will not spend another cent on software due to this. i feel like my 400 bucks went to nothing.

To answer the above. Yes they sure as shit are annoying and if it's not super significant I don't mind using the older version until I get 2 versions behind and then upgrade.

What's stupid to me is paying $200 for a version 5 to 6 and then paying $200 again for 7 from 6. But going from 5 to 7 is $200. What the heck is that?

Also, avid wants to much to upgrade pro tools, therefore I probably will not bother till I have to.

Its always a good idea to look at older, unregistered, versions on ebay, and use these to upgrade...I have four DAWs and have done this with three of them saving hundreds...look at crossgrades as well, if theres something you were planning to buy in the future but it would help you buy software now them maybe its time to splash out..I could have had reason 6 for just over $200 recently, by buying an old version of Reason 3 on fleabay and a $169 upgrade, its $449 normally (but i had to stop buying more DAWs lol)
I saved hundreds on Komplete Ultimate in a crossgrade 2

I would never buy from the manufacturers sites, there are plenty of well known distributors that use ebay, some offer free shipping, some are out of your state so save on tax, some have best offer..again every bit counts and shop around

and only update every second version as mentioned, theres almost nothing worth update for 5-6 that cant be waited for

i must be nuts. i have no problem paying $150 a year to upgrade my daw. that's less than a pizza a month. i have to laugh at the big money comments in relation to music software. last time steinberg changed hands it was for a whopping 24 million. that's for one of the most successful music production software, plugin and virtual instrument companies in the business. hell their intellectual property (VST and VSTI specs) alone is supported by virtually every audio software vendor on the market.

Gota agree with Kcearl there.

I bought an mbox just to have a portable interface at uni.
Turns out it had a PT8 licence tied to it and even without any paperwork it meant I was entitled to register it and upgrade on the cheap.

All I had to do was get the previous owner to sign an AVID handover form.

That took it from around £400 to £200, but student discount brought it right down to £80 for the full blown PT9.
In the end I sold the mbox (without software) for the same money I paid.

For a while people were buying mboxes with unregistered PT8, then getting the amnesty upgrade to 9 for nout cos AVID didn't know their unit was second hand.

Gota agree with Kcearl there.

I bought an mbox just to have a portable interface at uni.
Turns out it had a PT8 licence tied to it and even without any paperwork it meant I was entitled to register it and upgrade on the cheap.

All I had to do was get the previous owner to sign an AVID handover form.

That took it from around £400 to £200, but student discount brought it right down to £80 for the full blown PT9.
In the end I sold the mbox (without software) for the same money I paid.

For a while people were buying mboxes with unregistered PT8, then getting the amnesty upgrade to 9 for nout cos AVID didn't know their unit was second hand.

Did I ever tell you about the time I ended up getting PAID to buy an interface?

i must be nuts. i have no problem paying $150 a year to upgrade my daw. that's less than a pizza a month. i have to laugh at the big money comments in relation to music software. last time steinberg changed hands it was for a whopping 24 million. that's for one of the most successful music production software, plugin and virtual instrument companies in the business. hell their intellectual property (VST and VSTI specs) alone is supported by virtually every audio software vendor on the market.

It's $200 (unless they have a sale that I didn't catch) for a 1 or 2 version upgrade in cubase (full version).

It was $250 to go from pro tools m powered 8 to 9. It's now $400 to go from m powered 8 to 10 and $300 to go from 9 to 10. DUMB

It was $50 to go from cubase 6 to 6.5 (although IMO it was worth it for what they gave you).

Most of the time I don't find the upgrade worth bothering with right away.

It's $200 (unless they have a sale that I didn't catch) for a 1 or 2 version upgrade in cubase (full version).

It was $250 to go from pro tools m powered 8 to 9. It's now $400 to go from m powered 8 to 10 and $300 to go from 9 to 10. DUMB

It was $50 to go from cubase 6 to 6.5 (although IMO it was worth it for what they gave you).

Most of the time I don't find the upgrade worth bothering with right away.

Hey - you got me there. I have NEVER UNDERSTOOD digi pricing for their low end stuff. The last time I was a customer was 1994 with my Session 8 RIG. 3900 for an 8 channel DAW and $1000 for a 1GB DIGI Approved SCSI drive and case - haha. It's like digi is TRYING to kill 10 sales. And the fact that they sell both 9 and 10 at the same time is STOOPID.

I personally have never had a problem with steinberg pricing.

I bought Pro Tools 10 from Studica. Primarily because the student discount was $400 off ($300 total price) with 4 years FREE upgrades.
So... In the end, I get the "studio standard" DAW with free upgrades up until potentially Pro Tools 14. Not bad, in my opinion. ;)

I bought Pro Tools 10 from Studica. Primarily because the student discount was $400 off ($300 total price) with 4 years FREE upgrades.
So... In the end, I get the "studio standard" DAW with free upgrades up until potentially Pro Tools 14. Not bad, in my opinion. ;)

That is one hell of a deal. If i was collaborating more I would be all over that!!!

I was able to get PT10 with my purchase of the Eleven Rack.
I don't use the 11R now that I've switched to the Axe FX II, so it wasn't the best deal after all.

If Avid would come up with a standalone editor for the 11R I could sell just the rack and keep the
software, thus recouping some of my investment.

I figure there are a couple more dumb decisions like that left for me to make in the future,
if only I could get this crystal ball working again.

I'm thinking about turning my home pc into a small recording console for my music and was talking to a friend about which recording software I should buy. He said, "Buy? Why spend $599.99 on that expensive software when you can download it from gnutella for free?" Then pops up the moral dilema about really paying that money to support the creator, which I have supported in the past.

Well it is much more better to consult a recording solutions company for the same. They can record your calls at a much cheaper rate than the expensive one above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back