Do you really buy that expensive recording software?

Do you buy that expensive recording software, or just download it?(Read authors post)

• I buy it. I like to support the creator.

Votes: 564 41.2%
  • I download it. To hell with the creator.

Votes: 305 22.3%
  • I do both. I have mixed feelings on the subject.

Votes: 501 36.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanting something you can't afford should lead to motivation, work ethic, drive, innovation, etc. etc. Not stealing.

"Bauman reminds us that those promoting the work ethic were neither indifferent to the moral consequences of their actions, nor immoral beings. Getting the poor and idle to work was believed to be a moral as much as an economic task, and formed the core of what some believed to be a necessary and civilizing process. From a different (and more sceptical) perspective, the work ethic was principally a way to persuade people to surrender their freedom. People out of employment were ‘masterless... people out of control’, free of the surveillance which formed the basis of the new, modern social order." (Taken from: Modernity and its consequences for wellbeing).

In answer to the question: Yes, I did buy that software because it wasn't expensive.

Last edited:
People can rationalize anything. Serial killers rationalize murder. There is right and there is wrong. Do the right thing.

I got this in my New Threads the other day, too. Saw the last post was last March and just skipped by. I always look when it's a poll for just that reason.

There is a difference between downloading free software and downloading software for free. Remember the axiom: You get what you pay for. Software like garage band and a few others (do the research) will get you started. I found the Adobe Premiere Production suite for sale by Adobe and saved a lot. But I still had to spend. Do the research and start with free software. Stay away from offers of expensive software for free (If you got an interface, it may have come with something like ProTools LE or SE.
Rod Norman
Engineer

I'm thinking about turning my home pc into a small recording console for my music and was talking to a friend about which recording software I should buy. He said, "Buy? Why spend $599.99 on that expensive software when you can download it from gnutella for free?" Then pops up the moral dilema about really paying that money to support the creator, which I have supported in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back