Do you really buy that expensive recording software?

Do you buy that expensive recording software, or just download it?(Read authors post)

• I buy it. I like to support the creator.

Votes: 564 41.2%
  • I download it. To hell with the creator.

Votes: 305 22.3%
  • I do both. I have mixed feelings on the subject.

Votes: 501 36.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a difficult issue... Right now as a student I don't have enough money to buy all the programs I am using.

But TexRoadkill is right: even if you forget the moral question, a crack is never going to give you complete stability. So once I am graduated I really intend to buy some extra software.

Cracks though have the small advantage that it makes people familiar with the program. My MIDI teacher always told me Cubase is one of the most popular sequencers because of the early cracks of the program. Cracks can make you familiar about a program before you intend to buy it, and can point out the pro's and con's. I think anyone really serious with recording buys his computer software.

I agree to an extent with what you've said.

For years I used a cracked Cubase SX, encountered some issues and had some ups and downs through the years etc.

Nowadays, Im taking my music a lot more seriously, and after using it for years (along with legal copies of LE through hardware bundles) I love Cubase and will only use Cubase. So after I rebuilt a completely new machine, I bought a Steinberg CI2 and Cubase 5 a few weeks ago, along with Komplete 6.

Yes, it cost a bit of my hard earned, but now I don’t feel so worried about my new system getting bugs, problems etc because I can consult Steinberg with the issues with the safe knowledge that everything is legit.

Yes, it cost a bit of my hard earned, but now I don’t feel so worried about my new system getting bugs, problems etc because I can consult Steinberg with the issues with the safe knowledge that everything is legit.

Exactly! This stuff is too important that I can afford to have some bullshit cracked version and then I'm in the middle of a project and the whole thing fucks up. I need everything to be as good as it can possibly be so there's no way I'm going to risk it to save a bit of $.

I bought Cubase 3.0 in 1989, and used it for 10 years. I think it was about $500, so that's $50 a year. I bought Cubase VST 24 in 1999 for about the same and this year bought Cubase SX3 & 4 for $200. That's not expensive software. :)

It's $50 a year - I'll bet you spend more than that on chocolate bars.

I just got a HELL of a deal on propellerhead's Record, Bought it from musicians friend for $249, got a $50 instant rebate and used a $25 coupon code and got it for $174, but wait that's not all....

Got a Sam Ash flyer the next day and it was advertised for $149.00

Musicians friend agreed to pay me $50 so I got the Record program for $124.00!!!!! MSRP $299.99

Or, if you feel it's ok for to steal, then I don't suppose you'd mind if we downloaded some of your bank account. After all, it's just data, right?:D
Wayne

I think you have to ask yourself what prompts you to think like this. Banks originated as places for people to store cash, precious metals and stones. Physically, they needed to be impenetrable, so the only way in, is by force. Now that money has in some sense become more digitised and virtualised, it still falls to the criminally-minded to make an unauthorised withdrawal without having an extremely pained conscience - because of what that data represents = somebody's living; their food and their shelter. It seems we have less choice in the matter, these days, in the physical form our money can now take and so we are all potential victims - in the true sense of the word 'victim' - of data-theft.

Now because software piracy does not involve breaking windows or pointing a shotgun into someone's face, it does feel a lot less like you're committing a 'crime' even though it can still be rightly classed as stealing. You have to make certain connections before you realise you could be screwing someone over and although you might think it should be obvious, it's often still as obvious to the average person as taping music off the radio... As in: "Where's the harm?". There is no immediately perceived victim that we can empathise with. People have to think about this, whereas in the future, it may become more instinctually a code for 'correct behaviour'.

Stealing is completely a matter of degree unless you're the kind of person who thinks being squeeky-clean makes you a better person. In which case, you might not even drop a used match in the street, have never smoked a bit of weed at parties, or sneaked a hip-flask of vodka into a nightclub.

The fact that some people do naughty things and that there are others who are willing to put their lives into upholding the law, is part of the lynchpin of society.

Here are my honest thoughts on the matter. I have used a little bit of pirated software in the past but that alone doesn't make me a thief in my eyes. I believe in buying things that you use, so in principle, I'm an honest guy.

Morals concerning the use of pirated software still occupy a grey area - and it is so due to the evolution of digital media and our attitudes to it, not because we can't differentiate properly from right and wrong. If the opposite were true, much less software piracy would occur in otherwise honest people.

I don't really care what people think. I care more what I think and for my own reasons why I would prefer to use properly licenced software. For one thing, I should have thought the penalties were obvious, when it comes to the possibility of getting a virus or the software simply not working properly. Though I think a little piracy is actually healthy for the industry... There are people, I am sure, who might never have been in the market for music software, had they not been introduced to it by a pirated version in the first place. Many people serious about progressing soon realise the benefits of paying for their software, so I'm inclined to think things must even out, somewhere along the line.

I think calling someone a thief, for using copied software without the correct licence is, at this point in time, little more than association fallacy. I look upon it all as a symptom of moving out of one age, the industrial one and into the next, the information age. I feel sure that attitudes will slowly change, with the way future generations are educated, to meet the future needs of a society who live more by the toils of their minds, rather than their hands, as the information age progresses.

Dr. V

Last edited:
Don't want to pay for recording software?

Then go work for that company.

Or dock yourself several beers each week and save it for something that will give back to you over and over again.

Or go ahead and steal it, along with all of the music that you steal as well. But don't get pissed off when someone steals your tracks.

I agree that people should pay for what they use, It's not all about the money, its about the support. If steinberg released cubase 6 and sold 2 copies and a million people downloaded the cracked version do you think the company would keep putting effort into the program? no, they would drop it. I think however that piracy is a thin line, yes there are those people who download ££££££ worth of material and have no care in the world about the impact of what they are doing. This is what I would call the moral judgement of piracy. But Im sure there is a majority of people on here who work there arses off just to live, should they be have to pay a physical price for creativity? people who genuinly care about the issue and realise they are doing wrong and feel some form of regret for this, I belive these people are not moraly conforming to piracy. I may of used cracked versions of softwear, but in doing this it could of nailed the final nail in the coffin of my true love for making music. this devotion would lead to the guilt of 'stealing' would then lead to the company getting every penny for the softwear.

Wow. I can't believe this thread is still going on. I haven't been on here in more than a year, and here we still are, debating the ethics of illlegally downloading software.

My take: It's still wrong. It's just a question of how wrong it is to *you*. I mean, is it "going 50 in a 45" wrong, or "knocking over the corner liquor store" wrong? I think some will argue in either extreme here, but I have to place myself somewhere in the middle- somewhere around "fudging on my taxes".

I tend to pirate older software more than the brand new, top of the line stuff. That way I'm not hurting the bottom line *as much*. Plus, a lot of this stuff isn't available commercially anymore and no longer has tech support (yeah, yeah, I know, "That doesn't make it right!"). The fact is that I've downloaded nicer programs, only to discover that I can't stand them. What would I have done had I paid for it? The store can't take it back and they don't offer a trial period!

The nice thing is this- freeware gurus are cranking out free software every day that rivals commercial offerings. OpenOffice versus MS Office, Firefox versus IE, Thunderbird versus Outlook... "Free" and "open source" are becoming more and more a legitimate option. With AVG and Avast out there, who actually pays for Antivirus protection anymore?

It's only a matter of time until a DAW program comes out of the freeware revolution and becomes the "ProTools" or "Logic" killer.

Anyway, just my take (which I'm sure has already been rehashed at least fifty times in this thread by now)...

Seems like people want things for free. In this day and age it is possible but there were times when if you did not have something you went without, you made due. Now people are used to just getting what they want instantly.

I remember way back when I started out with Cakewalk all my friends wanted the software and my installation codes. It really bothered me because I payed full price and they did not seem to have any problem pirating. Some people just don't care they just want.

Seems to me that people who take recording seriously buy the license. If you don't give a crap about compensating someone for a product they produce then you probably don't give a crap about much else. That is probably and unfair generalization but......seems true in my experience.

That said, there are options for people of low income and students. n-track was mentioned, Reaper has a cheap non-commercial license and the commercial one is not so bad.

I guess I dont care any more about the issue. I've stopped paying for overly bloated programs. I do pay for the software I want. And all I want to do is sketch out my songs so I don't need Sonar or Pro Tools or any of that. Interesting point here, a pal of mine has a high dollar Pro Tools setup (he seems almost embarrassed by what he spent on it) he records on but he goes to a full on recording studio and pays big bucks when its time to make a CD. I looked at that and thought, I'd want the big boys to record my CD too so all I need is something basic for demos and saved myself some cash. Right now I'm using Garageband and an Apogee One. It suits my needs although I am looking at n-track and Reaper for something more robust.
Is Garageband a dirty word around here? :laughings: I'm really only interested in writing songs and recording home demos. I'm sure many people have other goals, to be a competent engineer for example, and so their needs would require more cash.

Another thing is to find what works and then don't buy every upgrade that comes out. That's how the big studios work. They are typically several versions behind in the Pro Tools department. Why? New software usually takes advantage of the latest hardware. If a big time studio upgraded with every new version of PT they'd have to also spend thousands on new hardware to support it.

I used to buy every upgrade and then was frustrated that my 5 year old comp couldnt cut it. I learned to find what works and stick with it. Save money.

That's a final point. If you want something save your money for it. If it takes 2 years then it takes 2 years.

Last edited:
...should they be have to pay a physical price for creativity? people who genuinly care about the issue and realise they are doing wrong and feel some form of regret for this, I belive these people are not moraly conforming to piracy. I may of used cracked versions of softwear, but in doing this it could of nailed the final nail in the coffin of my true love for making music. this devotion would lead to the guilt of 'stealing' would then lead to the company getting every penny for the softwear.

Bunk. Artists have had to pay for their materials since the beginning of time. Innumerable great paintings by masters are painted on used canvases, either wiped, or painted straight over older works. If you can't be bothered to pay for your art, you are not committed to it. Besides, we are talking software. There are open source or dirt cheap alternatives to anything that can be pirated, as has been mentioned over an over again. You can set up a perfectly serviceable recording rig, legally, without spending a cent on software.

I'm sure we both know that guilt-wracked pirates are not lining up anywhere to buy legal copies of their haul.

Everything on my computer is paid for, freeware, bundled software. I have had pirateware on my computer in the past, to test it out, I either bought it or took it off. Now days most companies give you full functioning time bombed demos so I don't need to do that anymore.

I have an old version of protools 7.3.1 and Logic (don't remember the version it was bundled and it is very old) I purchased FL studio and it to me is the best thing since sliced bread, I bough it many years ago so it was cheap and free lifetime upgrades. I have already got my moneys worth even if they went belly up tomorrow.

I did look at reaper but did not like the sequencer. If FL did not exist, I am sure I would be using it though and they want 40 buck, I have donated that much money to web donation software that helped me out.

I can afford it. I feel for the guys who can't but you still shouldn't use continue to use pirateware after you tested it out without paying for it IMHO.

... I purchased FL studio and it to me is the best thing since sliced bread, I bough it many years ago so it was cheap and free lifetime upgrades. I have already got my moneys worth even if they went belly up tomorrow.

I did look at reaper but did not like the sequencer. If FL did not exist, I am sure I would be using it though and they want 40 buck, ...

I also jumped on FLStudio a few years back and the free lifetime updates are a huge feature. I think it has the best piano roll editor on the market, however I think that Reaper is raiding their workflow/tools cabinet - and improving on it.

I think often times when someone is just getting into recording or just do it as a hobby much of the software/plugins used are often mostly downloaded. Hell I've done it before when just starting into my "audio software journey," but now that my only source of income has become the studio, and clients are paying for me to work on their projects, I feel compelled to purchase software as opposed to just downloading it… Just my two cents.

if you can't afford a ferrari do you go out and steal one? nah you just drive a (insert generic car here).

same with software, if you can't afford the expensive stuff just use freeware until you've saved up enough cash to buy something better.

there's just no justification or excuse for illegally downloading it.

No need to steal. You can get a Fellalli from China every bit as good as the real thing, for like $1400. I saw it on the Innertubes.

I think with Reaper the whole "I'd love to pay for it I just can't afford it" argument is blown out of the water. I could honestly understand pirating software like Cubase or Sonar because the price is quite high (honestly, I had to pirate Photoshop until I started making decent money doing graphic design now I am glad to pay for legit copies/upgrades) but now you can't argue that with Reaper's $50 license.

I think with Reaper the whole "I'd love to pay for it I just can't afford it" argument is blown out of the water. I could honestly understand pirating software like Cubase or Sonar because the price is quite high (honestly, I had to pirate Photoshop until I started making decent money doing graphic design now I am glad to pay for legit copies/upgrades) but now you can't argue that with Reaper's $50 license.

Down to $40 at the moment. Btw, have you tried PDN ( PaintDotNet ) as an image editor ? Fantastic and free. Especially when you start collecting the community made plugins. Very very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back