DMP3 vs SP VTB1

GOODLAND

I own a DMP3 and am looking for another pre in addition. I only need one more channel, any thoughts on the VTB1 in comparison to the DMP3? This pre is going to be used for vocals only.

TravisinFlorida said:
The VTB1 sounds slightly different. If you're looking to add variety you would be better off getting a new mic.

I already have the mic I want. It's the S.E. Electronics Gemini. I love it.

If you just absolutely need an additional pre, I don't think the VTB1 would be a bad choice but if you can get by for now I would try to make your next pre an upgrade.

If you are just needing an extra channel of preamp, the VTB1 is fine. It's a little more colored than the DMP3 and has a few more buttons to play with. Also, check out the Rane MS1B. Really nice sound for only $150.

MOFO Pro said:
Save a bit more... and do that mic justice...

I agree...why would you put that kind of money into a mic and then only spend $100 for a pre? you would probably yield better results on a $1000 pre and an SM 57 than you would out of your Gemini through a VTB1.

Would the Grace 101 do that mic justice?
Also, who gave me a negative rep point?
Not Cool. Have the balls to sign it at least.
All I did was ask a question. What kind of people have been joining this site anyways?

GOODLAND said:
Would the Grace 101 do that mic justice?
I'd suggest "1" preamp that starts with the letter "B"... but I'm not sure if Chess is off his meds again... big clean sound... for this tube mic

MOFO Pro said:
I'd suggest "1" preamp that starts with the letter "B"... but I'm not sure if Chess is off his meds again... big clean sound... for this tube mic
Which pre are you talking about? :confused:

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the Universal Audio SOLO/610.
Or Universal Audio SOLO/110
Or True Systems P-SOLO

I've had a P-Solo for a few months now, and think it's a nice pre - certainly and noticably better than anything else I've used for home recording including the DMP3, VTB-1, Yamaha mixer pre's, and various interface pre's. I chose it over the Presonus Eureka, MP20 and I'm confident I made a solid choice.

It's a clean, detailed pre that IMO is NOT sterile by any means. I've used it with my Groove Tubes GT50, CAD M177, and an SM57. Also did some test's using the DI and was very pleased with what I heard. If you're looking for something that will and color, character or whatever you'd choose to call it, this pre will just give you a clean signal - no frills and it's got nice gain.

Yeah, I sang through a P-Solo last week and walked away pretty impressed. For Vocs I think it would be better than the Grace.

Back