Digitech RP500 Interface Problem

Jmoog

I am trying to record into Reaper using my Digitech RP 500 as the USB interface. I have done this many times in the past but now for some reason I can't get Reaper to recognize the RP 500's presence. I have both the RP 500's Inputs and Outputs enabled under "Midi Devices". I have ASIO and the RP 500's driver selected under "Devices" as I have done in the past. I can bring a new track into Reaper and arm that track for recording but it shows no detection of the RP500 and when I go to record nothing happens. There is no audio level shown on the track when it is armed either. It's not recognizing any sound coming to it. Can someone help?

I am trying to record into Reaper using my Digitech RP 500 as the USB interface. I have done this many times in the past but now for some reason I can't get Reaper to recognize the RP 500's presence. I have both the RP 500's Inputs and Outputs enabled under "Midi Devices". I have ASIO and the RP 500's driver selected under "Devices" as I have done in the past. I can bring a new track into Reaper and arm that track for recording but it shows no detection of the RP500 and when I go to record nothing happens. There is no audio level shown on the track when it is armed either. It's not recognizing any sound coming to it. Can someone help?

I don't see any MIDI inputs on the 500.

I don't see any MIDI inputs on the 500.

Ok that is a good point. Ive disabled the midi inputs and outputs under "midi devices". my problem remains though. Usually I can get an audio level when a track is armed for recording but when I arm tracks currently there is absolutely no level shown. When pressing Record nothing happens. The counter doesn't move or anything.

Have you tried plugging it into another usb port?

After that, I'd uninstall and reinstall the Digitech's drivers.

(I have an rp 355 but I dont bother with the usb, I run the audio outs directly into my main interface.)

Did you select the Digitech as the input under Audio Devices? - you only mentioned MIDI devices.

Yes under "Audio" and "device" I have selected "ASIO" as my audio system and "RP500 ASIO" as my driver. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the RP500 driver. There is no signal getting through to Reaper though. When I plug the USB cable into my computer I get the "USB IN" message on the 500.

Yes under "Audio" and "device" I have selected "ASIO" as my audio system and "RP500 ASIO" as my driver. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the RP500 driver. There is no signal getting through to Reaper though. When I plug the USB cable into my computer I get the "USB IN" message on the 500.

Device will need to be plugged in before launching Reaper.

Make sure we have some basics covered (not MIDI, just audio). Audio System=ASIO, Enable Inputs checked and the input/Output range selected.

Then on the track to record select the input from the 500. You will have to arm it to get input (not 100% sure on this one, but that is the usual way DAWs work, you have arm to hear the input).

Device will need to be plugged in before launching Reaper.

Make sure we have some basics covered (not MIDI, just audio). Audio System=ASIO, Enable Inputs checked and the input/Output range selected.

Then on the track to record select the input from the 500. You will have to arm it to get input (not 100% sure on this one, but that is the usual way DAWs work, you have arm to hear the input).

The RP500 is connected before I launch Reaper.

The Audio System is ASIO, Enable Inputs is checked and the Input/Output range reads for Input "first: 1 usb in 1, last 2 usb in 2" and for Output "first: 1 usb out 1" and "last 2 usb out 2".

Then on the track itself I have selected Input from USB inputs 1 and 2 for Stereo recording. After I arm the track I still get no audio or incoming level shown on the track.

The other night I was trying to record also and that night I was getting audio into Reaper from the RP500 but everything I recorded was terribly distorted and choppy. Now I get no input whatoever.

The RP500 is connected before I launch Reaper.

The Audio System is ASIO, Enable Inputs is checked and the Input/Output range reads for Input "first: 1 usb in 1, last 2 usb in 2" and for Output "first: 1 usb out 1" and "last 2 usb out 2".

Then on the track itself I have selected Input from USB inputs 1 and 2 for Stereo recording. After I arm the track I still get no audio or incoming level shown on the track.

The other night I was trying to record also and that night I was getting audio into Reaper from the RP500 but everything I recorded was terribly distorted and choppy. Now I get no input whatoever.

Sounds like one of two things, user error (I don't think so) or faulty equipment. Is there another computer you can check it on or the store where you bought it? Sounds like you have done everything correct.

Sounds like one of two things, user error (I don't think so) or faulty equipment. Is there another computer you can check it on or the store where you bought it? Sounds like you have done everything correct.

I don't have another computer to check it out on but I don't think it's the RP500 or the USB cable. I use an editing program with the Pedal called X-Edit and that interfaces with the RP500 with no problem so I know that the unit is sending and receiving information correctly. This is bugging me. I have never had a problem like this with Reaper. I have re-downloaded the RP500's driver twice now. Im not sure where to go from here.

I don't have another computer to check it out on but I don't think it's the RP500 or the USB cable. I use an editing program with the Pedal called X-Edit and that interfaces with the RP500 with no problem so I know that the unit is sending and receiving information correctly. This is bugging me. I have never had a problem like this with Reaper. I have re-downloaded the RP500's driver twice now. Im not sure where to go from here.

Is X-edit to control the effects section (MIDI controller I am guess)? Do you have any other ASIO drivers loaded?

Try switching to non ASIO driver. This can at least confirm if the analog inputs are going through the system.

Is X-edit to control the effects section (MIDI controller I am guess)? Do you have any other ASIO drivers loaded?

Try switching to non ASIO driver. This can at least confirm if the analog inputs are going through the system.

X-Edit allows you to change setting parameters in the Rp500 using a mouse through the computer rather than with the switches and buttons on the pedal itself. When I switch over to the "Waveout" audio setting I can record into Reaper with no problem using my laptops microphone. I don't think I have another ASIO driver to choose. The problem seems to stem from the ASIO side of things. I re-downloaded the Rp500 driver again this morning and I also restored the RP500 to it's factory settings in case that was the issue. Neither of these worked to solve the problem.

Is there another free recording software program that you could recommend to try the RP500 with so I can rule out a problem with Reaper?

Is there another free recording software program that you could recommend to try the RP500 with so I can rule out a problem with Reaper?

You may try downloading some trail version of another program. Plenty to choose from.

Also, make sure that there is nothing else using the driver. Not sure if it is Reaper or ASIO, but Reaper doesn't share in ASIO mode.

You may try downloading some trail version of another program. Plenty to choose from.

Also, make sure that there is nothing else using the driver. Not sure if it is Reaper or ASIO, but Reaper doesn't share in ASIO mode.

I tried my RP355 and that worked although at first the recordings were distorted and choppy sounding like the recordings I made with the RP500. After I played with it some more I got clear recordings from it. Then it started doing the same thing the 500 was doing. No input showing. SO weird.

Now I am back to choppy distorted recordings with the RP 355. Sometimes I am getting a "Windows Does Not Recognize The Device" prompt when connecting either of the RP's to my laptop. Then in Reaper I am frequently getting a "ASIO Driver Initialization Fail" message when opening.

Now I am back to choppy distorted recordings with the RP 355. Sometimes I am getting a "Windows Does Not Recognize The Device" prompt when connecting either of the RP's to my laptop. Then in Reaper I am frequently getting a "ASIO Driver Initialization Fail" message when opening.

OK, I think your issue is not with Reaper, but Windows. Reaper just uses the drivers, Windows does the rest. Have you tried to uninstall? Have you switched USB ports? What version of Windows?

I didn't ask those questions earlier as this looked like a pretty straight forward problem. Turns out it isn't.

Here is what we know, please confirm:

Device works in other driver mode with no issues?
Device works with X-edit (does X-Edit use ASIO driver, not all applications support ASIO)?
Have you checked buffer settings?
Where are you monitoring the sound? This should come out of your RP, not computer (headphone out or the output jacks).
There is a switch in the back next to the output, have you seen what affect it has on your problem?
As a last resort, contact the manufacturer help as I don't think I can help past the above since I don't own one, so harder to troubleshoot.

I know I didn't help much here, but there is something else going on that is probably obvious but I can't see it.

OK, I think your issue is not with Reaper, but Windows. Reaper just uses the drivers, Windows does the rest. Have you tried to uninstall? Have you switched USB ports? What version of Windows?

I didn't ask those questions earlier as this looked like a pretty straight forward problem. Turns out it isn't.

Here is what we know, please confirm:

Device works in other driver mode with no issues?
Device works with X-edit (does X-Edit use ASIO driver, not all applications support ASIO)?
Have you checked buffer settings?
Where are you monitoring the sound? This should come out of your RP, not computer (headphone out or the output jacks).
There is a switch in the back next to the output, have you seen what affect it has on your problem?
As a last resort, contact the manufacturer help as I don't think I can help past the above since I don't own one, so harder to troubleshoot.

I know I didn't help much here, but there is something else going on that is probably obvious but I can't see it.

Ok Windows might be the issue. When I got my new laptop the audio was thin and tinny coming from the laptop so I had to mess with the soundcard drivers to get normal sound through the laptop. Maybe the way I messed with the drivers is the issue? I don't think I have recorded with this new laptop so perhaps that is it. The new computer uses Windows 8. I have switches USB ports with the same result. I will try using my old Laptop to see if it works with that.

Ok so I tried it with my old laptop and everything works. Perhaps when I adjusted my main soundcard drivers on my new laptop it rendered Reaper unusable? I don't know how to adjust the new laptops drivers to where I get both normal sound from the computer and Reaper compatibility so I guess i'll just use my old laptop for recording.

Ok so I tried it with my old laptop and everything works. Perhaps when I adjusted my main soundcard drivers on my new laptop it rendered Reaper unusable? I don't know how to adjust the new laptops drivers to where I get both normal sound from the computer and Reaper compatibility so I guess i'll just use my old laptop for recording.

OK, now we might be able to make some progress. You may have to research some thing as I have not used Win8 on anything but a Surface, so not much to do on it.

Make sure all of your Laptop sound is turned off and route everything through your DP. This is where you want to monitor. You should be able to set this in Windows. It might be a pain right now, but after you get it working, you can worry about the convenient factor later.

Make sure, in Windows, everything routes to your DP. Once you hear sounds routing to your DP (Youtube, system sound etc) then go back and with either monitors or using the DPs output, fire up Reaper and give it a test drive.

Back