Death Metal

Bloodsoaked said:
Holy Crap dude!!! The songs are killer. I am totally impressed. I liked them all. I wish the vocals on 'Imperfect...',... You got anymore death metal stuff? I would love to hear it.
I don't really have any straight-ahead death stuff. I'm more into Opeth/Meshuggah/Nevermore-y types of metal. My cover of Blister in the Sun is vaguely death metal, though, if you didn't already listen to it.

You mentiond the M-Audio Fast Track USB interface; does this take the place of your sound card?

Yeah, pretty much. I still use my soundcard for output because it has 5.1 support, but all input is through the M-Audio.

I also use beatcraft to program my drums and I like it. I am just trying to learn how to program a bit beter and get a killer death metal sound from the drums. I also use Mixcraft for the recording. The same company makes mixcraft and beatcraft.

A big thing to remember when programming drums is to not cut any corners. Don't just use the same three beats and the same two simple drum fills. If you think you need a snare roll going into another riff and you need to spend 45 seconds programming it, then do it.It's a long process, but it's worth it.

I just ordered the Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer and should have it in a few days. I think it is one step below what you have. I might be asking you a few questions about it one I get it and hook everything up.

How long have you been recording your own stuff?

Always glad to help. I've been recording my own music for a while now, but hadn't really started taking it seriously or producing decent results for the last 6 months or so. I was in exactly your position a while ago, and I still have some of my recordings from the old days. Terrible stuff; you're already doing much better than I was.

I'm getting a PodXT in a week, though, in which case you will all be bowing to the awesomeness of my recordings

what doyou guys think of the guitarport? It's a great price and I was thinking about trying it out. I have a vamp2 right now and like it a lot. I just want to compare the two. What does the potxt have that the vamp2 doesn't? It's really expensive. Well the rack modeal at least. What one are you getting?

what do you think of beatcraft. For 50 bucks i'm thinking about getting it! I thought your drums sounded pretty good. I'm impressed at the results of such a cheap drum machine. How is the learning curve? How do you guys use it? How can I use it in cubase LE?

ericlingus said:
what do you think of beatcraft. For 50 bucks i'm thinking about getting it! I thought your drums sounded pretty good. I'm impressed at the results of such a cheap drum machine. How is the learning curve? How do you guys use it? How can I use it in cubase LE?

I do not know if you can use it with Cubase LE, but I really like Beatcraft. It is under $50 and is easy to use. Their web site has some fourms as well and very helpful people that will give you a bunch of info on anything you need. I can program basic beats with it and while I am still learning allot it is great for me.

Kronpox said:
I don't really have any straight-ahead death stuff. I'm more into Opeth/Meshuggah/Nevermore-y types of metal. My cover of Blister in the Sun is vaguely death metal, though, if you didn't already listen to it.

Anything you have that is Metal that you have recorded I would love to listen to. I like Nevermore and Opeth so let me know what you got and post it online if you can.

Kronpox said:
A big thing to remember when programming drums is to not cut any corners. Don't just use the same three beats and the same two simple drum fills. If you think you need a snare roll going into another riff and you need to spend 45 seconds programming it, then do it.It's a long process, but it's worth it..

That is the hard thing for me. I would love to throu more fills, rolls and different things into the songs but not being a drummer I am having a hard time with that stuff. Any sugestions?

do you quantize your drum beats or do you try to humanize them by playing them in real time and then fixing up some timing mistakes? Also when you have a drum beat going on for a little while do you just make the beat for say 4 measures or whatever and then copy and paste? Things like this i'm interested in regarding drums. If you could give me as much information on what you do to make your beats i'd appreciate it. Do you use beatcraft in your recording software's sequencer or do you use the sequencer in beatcraft to program your drums and then import them into your recording software?

do you quantize your drum beats or do you try to humanize them by playing them in real time and then fixing up some timing mistakes? Also when you have a drum beat going on for a little while do you just make the beat for say 4 measures or whatever and then copy and paste? Things like this i'm interested in regarding drums. If you could give me as much information on what you do to make your beats i'd appreciate it. Do you use beatcraft in your recording software's sequencer or do you use the sequencer in beatcraft to program your drums and then import them into your recording software?

soundchaser59 said:
If you really want to surround yourself with metal heads, go over to harmony central amps forum, get mugged and assaulted a few times, then start asking questions. There's a ton of bs over there, but also a little bit of really good info IF you can find it.

Then come back over here for clean air.....

Do you have a link directly to the fourm? I can not find it. Thank you.

Kronpox said:
Hey Metalhead, what are your views on compressing rhythm tracks? I hear a lot people going either way, and hearing good results on both sides. Your thoughts?

I think it's pretty safe to say that I never compress rhythm guitars. The only occasion I can imagine would be if it was a sparsely played part with too many dynamics. Also, perhaps if you had a nice, high quality compressor that would add it's own desirable character to the sound, but for the sake of just leveling dynamics I never need to do it. The sound of the amp is so compressed as it is it's usually a nice even wave form. Sometimes I use an impulse response of a nice outboard compressor with a convolution plug-in. That can just add a nifty character to the sound. I've been experimenting with that lately and I'm pretty happy with some of the results.

Bloodsoaked said:
What band was it? I would love to hear it. Was it recorded in your home studio?

It was called Aeturnus. We were signed to the now defunked Cranial Captivity Records. It was recorded at a place in Atlanta called the Strand. The engineers were more jazz guys than anything so they really did a hatchet job on the sound. Of course, back then, we thought it was the shit. Now I just think it is shit. I would love to get those gyus back together in my studio and re-record the whole thing just for the heck of it but the singer moved to California to be a computer guy and the drummer has threatened to kill the bass player. Now that is metal!

Thunder33 said:
It was called Aeturnus. We were signed to the now defunked Cranial Captivity Records. It was recorded at a place in Atlanta called the Strand. The engineers were more jazz guys than anything so they really did a hatchet job on the sound. Of course, back then, we thought it was the shit. Now I just think it is shit. I would love to get those gyus back together in my studio and re-record the whole thing just for the heck of it but the singer moved to California to be a computer guy and the drummer has threatened to kill the bass player. Now that is metal!
NOW THAT"S FECKIN' METAL!!!

Aeturnus? Did you guys get on a compilation CD?
I swear that sounds familiar....

cellardweller said:
NOW THAT"S FECKIN' METAL!!!

Aeturnus? Did you guys get on a compilation CD?
I swear that sounds familiar....

Cranial Captivity put out a comp that had two of our songs (one was under a different band name) and it also featured the band POD before they were signed.

http://drindustrial.flamingfish.com/drindus/test/bandInfoMain.php?pb_id=1000003&cd_id=1560

http://muzzone.com/en/Album/32389/From-Blackest-Darkness/

We did a sweet metal version of the Star Wars Imperial Death March.

BTW-that other album was a different band. We were not that douchey.

Bloodsoaked said:
Anything you have that is Metal that you have recorded I would love to listen to. I like Nevermore and Opeth so let me know what you got and post it online if you can.

Like I say, www.putfile.com/kronpox. Anything I've recorded lately is up there. It's not all great but there's some good stuff.

That is the hard thing for me. I would love to throu more fills, rolls and different things into the songs but not being a drummer I am having a hard time with that stuff. Any sugestions?

Learn about rhythm (if you haven't already- the stuff like whole notes and 16th notes and triplets and all that crap) and how to write drum tabs. Then just get creative, and program what you want to hear. It doesn't take long to sequence a bunch of different fills once you get practice.

Bloodsoaked said:
Yeah dude, please post the song again and start a new thread. Meybe we can get a killer thread going for people just recording death metal. I am sure there are a few others that would find it helpful and some willing to help us. Let me know when you post your song.

As you asked to let you know, I just posted a segment of my 50 minutes song here

Extreme Metal = Electro-Shocks

Let me know what you think about it.

You know what? I've never before been into Death Metal but these days something in me is takin' me to it. That Bloodthirst? 'Killing You' was the first song I've listened to in its entirety on Soundclick.
So, it must be pretty good. It's quite catchy.

Back