DAW Users With ADD

Apparently Dubai doesn't have any of those draconian liquor laws. In that case, let me check the airline schedules. :D

You can buy liquor with a licence providing that you are a non-muslim and earn a certain amount of money a year (the authorities don't want millions of poorly paid Indians, Pakistani's and Filapino's getting drunk). If you are a woman, you need a letter from your husband giving you permission to buy booze. Oh, and you also need a letter from your company giving you permission to drink too. These letters are part of my responsibility so if anyone crosses me they get their drinks licence revoked!:)

Guitars
I've narrowed down my next adventure to one of these two:
Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus EX/GX Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend (GX model in black cherry with the Gibson 490/498 pickups)

Epiphone Les Paul Custom PRO Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend (in black)

The choice will be determined simply by which one they get in stock first. Right now the black custom pro appears to be the front runner, but they keep changing the available dates. Originally it was supposed to be today. Now it says May 11th. The Prophecy is not expected until June.

I don't get it. What's so hard about getting guitars in stock? :(
Knowing what's being shipped from Korea before they arrive;)

The pro version gets my vote.

Guitars
I've narrowed down my next adventure to one of these two:
Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus EX/GX Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend (GX model in black cherry with the Gibson 490/498 pickups)

Epiphone Les Paul Custom PRO Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend (in black)

The choice will be determined simply by which one they get in stock first. Right now the black custom pro appears to be the front runner, but they keep changing the available dates. Originally it was supposed to be today. Now it says May 11th. The Prophecy is not expected until June.

I don't get it. What's so hard about getting guitars in stock? :(

I like the Pro too,but upon closer inspection,the volume/tone knobs on the Black Cherry guitar are cool and it too sports gold hardware,so it's close.

Coil taps on both,you may just say pffftt,when you try them,or maybe you wont,but down the road you'll be happy you have them.It'll never sound like a strat,but it'll open up the sound a bit.

I'm assuming you're planning on having it set up?

I like the Pro too,but upon closer inspection,the volume/tone knobs on the Black Cherry guitar are cool and it too sports gold hardware,so it's close.

Coil taps on both,you may just say pffftt,when you try them,or maybe you wont,but down the road you'll be happy you have them.It'll never sound like a strat,but it'll open up the sound a bit.

I'm assuming you're planning on having it set up?
I like the look of the uncovered pickups on the Prophecy too. The only thing that puzzles me about it is that they bill it as a shredder's guitar. Not sure what makes it that, except possibly the neck. They call it a "speed taper" neck and has an ebony fretboard, whereas the Pro has "slim taper" neck and a rosewood fretboard. (I think the ebony fretboard would have looked great on the pro - black on black.)

I'm sure I'll eventually have it professionally set up. Whether that happens sooner rather than later will depend on the intonation when I get it.

I like the look of the uncovered pickups on the Prophecy too. The only thing that puzzles me about it is that they bill it as a shredder's guitar. Not sure what makes it that, except possibly the neck. They call it a "speed taper" neck and has an ebony fretboard, whereas the Pro has "slim taper" neck and a rosewood fretboard. (I think the ebony fretboard would have looked great on the pro - black on black.)

I'm sure I'll eventually have it professionally set up. Whether that happens sooner rather than later will depend on the intonation when I get it.

The EMG pickups are shredder/metal pickups,you really don't want those,the 490/498 combo will be more to your tastes.Can't comment on the neck,but make sure if you get it set up that you do it with a string gauge you feel comfortable with.

The EMG pickups are shredder/metal pickups,you really don't want those,the 490/498 combo will be more to your tastes.Can't comment on the neck,but make sure if you get it set up that you do it with a string gauge you feel comfortable with.
The EMG's come on the EX model. The 490/498 come on the GX model, which is the one I'm focusing on. Not sure why Musicians Friend smashes them together on their web site, but they are two different models - albeit with similarities.

Probably moot, however, since as of today Guitar Center says May 4th for the Custom Pro, and June 11th for the Prophecy. (Although MF says May 11th for the Pro - which is interesting since both companies pull from the same warehouse.)

Never heard of them before. At that price they have to be factory made in the East, or at least some parts sourced from there but to special order. Nothing wrong with that but looking at them doesn't do anything for me. This is straying in Guy's territory - quirky kooky looking stuff.:facepalm:

:)

You guys know anything about Michael Kelly guitars? While awaiting stock replenishment on the Les Pauls, I stumbled across this. Looks pretty interesting.

Michael Kelly Hybrid Special Spalted Maple Top Review | Chorder.com

I've seen MK guitars around,just another "insert name here"guitar.That appears to be a knockoff of a Taylor electric model.

If I got my hands on one I might be impressed,but I'm not too keen on that acoustic bridge.I'm assuming it takes electric strings.

If you're looking to play acoustic like rhythm and break into an electric lead that would be a good guitar,but you still wouldn't have a full blown electric guitar.

. This is straying in Guy's territory - quirky kooky looking stuff.:facepalm:

:)

As much as I put LPs and Strats on the top of the guitar mountain,they bore the hell out of me.Give me a Wilshire,a U2 or some freaky Italian thing and I'm happy.

Hey Paul, I just finished watching a British sitcom called Nighty Night. I think it was shown on BBC1 a few years ago. Did you ever see it? I thought it was hilarious. The girl who plays the lead was great. Reminded me a little of a female Larry David.

I think there were two seasons broadcast, but Netflix only has the first season. Not sure why they don't have the second.

Well, I ordered the Les Paul Custom Pro today (black "tuxedo" model). "Supposedly" they are supposed to be getting stock this Friday. There was a part of me that was leaning toward the black cherry Prophecy, but that is not due until sometime in June and I am getting tired of waiting. This one is $50 cheaper, but doesn't come with a case. I'll order the case separately, once I know I'm keeping it. :rolleyes: :D

Well, I ordered the Les Paul Custom Pro today (black "tuxedo" model). "Supposedly" they are supposed to be getting stock this Friday.

Pleasant surprise... I got an e-mail this morning that it is on the way. A day early even.

Yesterday they made it sound like even if their shipment arrived on Friday it would take a couple of days for it to get unpacked and sorted before they would be able to ship mine to me. In the meantime, they must have already received the shipment when I placed the order yesterday. :rolleyes:

By this time next week, I'll probably have a screwdriver in hand intonating my new guitar. ;)

BTW, my son got out of rehab yesterday. He's been there six months, so I guess that is an accomplishment. Now we move into phase two. He's now staying at sort of a halfway house. It's a group home of 7 ex-addicts - essentially like a dorm. It's in a private house, in a housing development, and they share expenses and help to support each other. It's located about an hour south of me.

It's going to be tough for him, as he has no job, no car, and no money. However, he thinks he's eligible for unemployment, as he had an open claim when he went into rehab. And, if he has learned his lesson, he'll do whatever he needs to do - even if that means working the night shift at 7-11. One part of me gets a lump in my throat when I think of his situation, and the other part of me wants to wring his neck. :( :(

Well, I ordered the Les Paul Custom Pro today (black "tuxedo" model). "Supposedly" they are supposed to be getting stock this Friday. There was a part of me that was leaning toward the black cherry Prophecy, but that is not due until sometime in June and I am getting tired of waiting. This one is $50 cheaper, but doesn't come with a case. I'll order the case separately, once I know I'm keeping it. :rolleyes: :D

If this one doesn't work out you really need to stasrt looking at ukes.

I have an Epiphone LP,but it's a double cutaway with P90s.I saw it one day at Music Go Round and just had to have it.I've probably played it about twice since then,nice guitar though.:guitar:

Let's hope this works out,there's only so many guitars in the world.

If this one doesn't work out you really need to stasrt looking at ukes.

I have an Epiphone LP,but it's a double cutaway with P90s.I saw it one day at Music Go Round and just had to have it.I've probably played it about twice since then,nice guitar though.:guitar:

Let's hope this works out,there's only so many guitars in the world.

I never saw a double-cutaway LP. Are you sure it's an LP? I thought the single-cutaway style was one of the things that made it an LP.

When I started this search, one of the things I wanted was a double-cutaway. And one of the things I didn't want was an Epiphone. But, as you said, there are only so many guitars out there.

Back