DAW Users With ADD

The gods apparently do not want me to have an electric guitar. :( I get to the store and they are busy as hell. However, after 20 minutes, I finally found the guitar on my own. On the web it was priced at $599. In the store there is a tag on it that says $799. I ask one of the sales guys about it, he looks it up and says "I can talk to the manager about it." I told him to wait because I wanted to play it first. The feel on it was OK. But then I notice it is scratched. It was already my third color choice, and I didn't want a scratch on a "brand new" guitar, so I figured that I'd just order one in the color I wanted. Of course if I was going to order one, it wouldn't be at a store that is 45 minutes from my house. So I left.

At least I got to see my daughter and granddaughter. Of course my daughter managed to bribe my granddaughter into not touching anything in Guitar Center by promising to get her a toy afterwards. Sure, why not, Grandpa was going to buy a guitar so obviously brought his wallet with him. :rolleyes:

Check out any ukuleles while you were there?

Here's Iggy...

We picked her up today....

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 16
Iggy Cute dog! Do you know how big she'll grow? We always wanted a dog but we're just too damn houseproud to get one plus we get put off by the work involved in walking them, feeding them and clearing up their crap. I'm too delicately stomached for the latter!

My brother owns 300 acres of land and woodland in Virginia and has dogs but he can just open his door, let them run free to excecise and allow them to poop and sprinkle. He has an electric fence running around 10 acres of what he calls his "garden" to keep the deer out but it also serves to keep the dogs in too.

Guitars Mike, this is turning into a saga of epic proportions! I just chose my Epi LP Custom online, ordered it and was thrilled when it arrived the next day. No scratches or blemishes, played well, sounded good. Then sent it for pro-setup and it was complete. Job done.:guitar: I now realise after reading about your adventures what a lucky sod I really am.:listeningmusic:

House stuff vs new gear What I didn't tell you is that I have a host of new stuff coming in my shipment, mainly recording gear and although I will have lost my studio that was almost complete in the UK, I will now have a room to myself in the Villa that means for the first time ever I can have all my gear out on a permanent state of readiness to maybe record something:eek:

Fitness I did something really shocking yesterday. I bought a new pair of trainers, shorts and shirt so I can use the gym in our hotel/apartment/beach club and/or go walking around the harbour where we live - around 8 miles. Is this proof of a late mid-life crisis?:confused:

Big interview Wifey and I are meeting the landlady of the villa we want to rent this morning for coffee and a chat. I suppose she wants to make sure we're not going to party and wreck her investment which is fair enough. No danger there. We are in serviced accommodation presently and wifey cleans the apartment before the cleaners come in.:facepalm::confused:

Happy days!:D

Last edited:
Iggy is a good name for the dog. I'm figuring with you in the family, you can now bill yourselves as Iggy and the Stooge. :p :D

As for guitars, I have bought my last 5 or 6 automobiles with less problems than this. Pick out a color and drive it home. :o I'm sure a large part of it is my unfamiliarity with electric guitars, and therefore probably having unrealistic expectations. Right now I'm still mulling over whether to order one of the LP Tributes I played yesterday, which seems to be the direction I am leaning. Stay tuned.

Iggy is a good name for the dog. I'm figuring with you in the family, you can now bill yourselves as Iggy and the Stooge. :p :D

As for guitars, I have bought my last 5 or 6 automobiles with less problems than this. Pick out a color and drive it home. :o I'm sure a large part of it is my unfamiliarity with electric guitars, and therefore probably having unrealistic expectations. Right now I'm still mulling over whether to order one of the LP Tributes I played yesterday, which seems to be the direction I am leaning. Stay tuned.

If you really liked the one you had your hands on,order the exact one you want and plan on having it setup.

If you read the reviews on almost any online boughten guitar that's the almost universal theme.

BTW,did you know they have certain LP models with a piezo pickup in them too?

There is no perfect guitar,but if I had to pick just two,it would be an LP and a Strat,that covers a lot of territory.

I did something really shocking yesterday. I bought a new pair of trainers, shorts and shirt so I can use the gym in our hotel/apartment/beach club and/or go walking around the harbour where we live - around 8 miles. Is this proof of a late mid-life crisis?:confused:

Schocking mostly to the people who have to see you in them.Do you have the whitest legs in town?

Iggy Cute dog! Do you know how big she'll grow? We always wanted a dog but we're just too damn houseproud to get one plus we get put off by the work involved in walking them, feeding them and clearing up their crap. I'm too delicately stomached for the latter!

My brother owns 300 acres of land and woodland in Virginia and has dogs but he can just open his door, let them run free to excecise and allow them to poop and sprinkle. He has an electric fence running around 10 acres of what he calls his "garden" to keep the deer out but it also serves to keep the dogs in too.

Owning a dog is a responsibility,funny that a human turns to an animal for companionship,but it's very rewarding in an unexplainable way.

Guitars Mike, this is turning into a saga of epic proportions! I just chose my Epi LP Custom online, ordered it and was thrilled when it arrived the next day. No scratches or blemishes, played well, sounded good. Then sent it for pro-setup and it was complete. Job done.:guitar: I now realise after reading about your adventures what a lucky sod I really am.:listeningmusic:
Paul,I think we're getting close to needing to have an intervention on Mike's behalf.There seems to be an obsessiveness to his behavior that could be very unhealthy.I think what the guy really needs to inject some joy into the empty void he calls a life would be a nice ukulele.

So let's see,
Cars,yes
guitars and women,no.

BTW,did you know they have certain LP models with a piezo pickup in them too?
Yes, I do. I played one at Sam Ash a few weeks ago. I also saw some youtube videos of guys playing them. I didn't particularly care for the sound. For my money if I want an "acoustic" sound, I'll plug in the Taylor. Plus that guitar sells for $750, and has USB ports and few other things I have no need for. For $150 less, the Tribute has most of what I want (except for coil splitting), and comes with a case.

However, speaking of piezos, I ran across this guitar yesterday which caught my interest.
Epiphone - Ultra-339

I didn't actually play it, but I might. It's a smaller bodied guitar than that Hagstrom I had. Sort of a cross between a solid body and a hollow-body. More like the first semi-hollow PRS guitar I bought - which so far is my favorite of the ones I actually brought home to play, but unfortunately had intonation issues. It also did not have a tune-o-matic style bridge, so I was less optimistic that the intonation could be addressed by having it set up professionally.

The downside to the Ultra 339 is that it is also $750 without a case, and I don't really need the piezo, usb interface, or software that it comes with.

Yes, I do. I played one at Sam Ash a few weeks ago. I also saw some youtube videos of guys playing them. I didn't particularly care for the sound. For my money if I want an "acoustic" sound, I'll plug in the Taylor. Plus that guitar sells for $750, and has USB ports and few other things I have no need for. For $150 less, the Tribute has most of what I want (except for coil splitting), and comes with a case.

However, speaking of piezos, I ran across this guitar yesterday which caught my interest.
Epiphone - Ultra-339

I didn't actually play it, but I might. It's a smaller bodied guitar than that Hagstrom I had. Sort of a cross between a solid body and a hollow-body. More like the first semi-hollow PRS guitar I bought - which so far is my favorite of the ones I actually brought home to play, but unfortunately had intonation issues. It also did not have a tune-o-matic style bridge, so I was less optimistic that the intonation could be addressed by having it set up professionally.

The downside to the Ultra 339 is that it is also $750 without a case, and I don't really need the piezo, usb interface, or software that it comes with.

The USB is a total non factor,unless you're planning on using a laptop and amp sims.

The piezo in these guitars serves as an alternative but could never hold a shine to the Taylor.If a guy was using a multieffects box,he would probably use the piezo in conjunction with an acoustic simulator,just get closer.

I just noticed the built in tuner,I'm thinking even for the price that's a lot of features.I'm wondering if it's a cheap guitar with a lot of gadets.

In dog years it's almost as old as some of the posters in it.
I still think Mike would win by a decent margin;)

If you really liked the one you had your hands on,order the exact one you want and plan on having it setup.

There is no perfect guitar,but if I had to pick just two,it would be an LP and a Strat,that covers a lot of territory.
Agreed on both counts. I love my Epi LP. But I need the breadth that the Strat and the LP give me.

Schocking mostly to the people who have to see you in them.Do you have the whitest legs in town?
That was weeks ago. I'm almost native looking now.:cool:

Owning a dog is a responsibility,funny that a human turns to an animal for companionship,but it's very rewarding in an unexplainable way.
Totally get that. When we stayed with my brother a couple of years ago the joy that playing with his black labrador gave us that vacation was immense. We were very sad when he passed away a couple of months after our visit (cancer).

Paul,I think we're getting close to needing to have an intervention on Mike's behalf.There seems to be an obsessiveness to his behavior that could be very unhealthy.I think what the guy really needs to inject some joy into the empty void he calls a life would be a nice ukulele.
I was thinking more along the lines of a good woman .:laughings:

Interview The interview went well and I think we passed muster. Turns out she's a British Indian, quite attractive and very rich. Dripping in diamonds. And divorced. Has a "portfolio" of international property. I think Mike would like her. :D

Beach Club After the meeting with the landlady, wifey and I made our way to our beach club where we whiled away the afternoon on a sunbed after a lazy lunch in the outside cafe, overlooking the bay. Its a tough life but I manage as best I can:rolleyes:
:D

I just noticed the built in tuner,I'm thinking even for the price that's a lot of features.I'm wondering if it's a cheap guitar with a lot of gadets.

The built-in tuner is on the side of one of the pickups and consists of 6 or 8 leds. So we're talking what, a 1/4-inch high maybe and two inches wide? My eyes aren't quite what they used to be, but I would need to be holding a magnifying glass to be able to tune using that thing. :confused:

Turns out she's a British Indian, quite attractive and very rich. Dripping in diamonds. And divorced. Has a "portfolio" of international property. I think Mike would like her.

You had me sold at very rich. Attractive is just icing on the cake. ;)

The saga continues...

I called Guitar Center customer service this afternoon to find out if I ordered a guitar online whether or not it could be returned to a store. They said, sure no problem. I have 30 days to evaluate it and can return it to any GC store. I said great, let me place an order. I tell him I want the Les Paul Tribute in black cherry (which is actually my second choice color, since their web site said the midnight sapphire wouldn't be in stock until June). He punches it in the computer and says sorry, not available until June. I told him their web site says it is in stock. He tells me he doesn't know why it says that, but it's not available until June.

Ergo, I put my name on a waiting list to be notified when the midnight sapphire one is available. If I'm going to wait, might as well get my first color choice. :(

The saga continues...

I called Guitar Center customer service this afternoon to find out if I ordered a guitar online whether or not it could be returned to a store. They said, sure no problem. I have 30 days to evaluate it and can return it to any GC store. I said great, let me place an order. I tell him I want the Les Paul Tribute in black cherry (which is actually my second choice color, since their web site said the midnight sapphire wouldn't be in stock until June). He punches it in the computer and says sorry, not available until June. I told him their web site says it is in stock. He tells me he doesn't know why it says that, but it's not available until June.

Ergo, I put my name on a waiting list to be notified when the midnight sapphire one is available. If I'm going to wait, might as well get my first color choice. :(

That can go both ways,I've had stuff come way before the estimated date and I've cancelled on stuff because they kept pushing it back.

So you didn't see any other guitars that caught your eye?

Back