DAW Users With ADD

Intonation Whatever electric guitar I use I always hear an intonation issue when I start playing anything other than open chords including frets above the second fret.

I think that playing acoustic guitars makes your ears more sensitive to a few cents flat/sharp because the bendiness of the thinner strings don't help. As Guy says, maybe you just aren't suited or used to electric guitars?

Whats the dimension of the high E string? 10? Or thinner?

Not sure of the string dimensions. Whatever they put on at the factory - although I suspect they're 10s.

You could be right on the fact that "pulling" on the thinner strings could be part of the problem. The G string seems to be my biggest issue, and it's probably the first time I've played with an unwound G string in a gazillion years. Also, I am listening on headphones, so you can really hear everything - although I do the same thing with my Taylor when I rehearse with the band.

I played it with the group last night for the first time. They all seemed to like the PRS better, since as you noted, the Hagstrom is primarily a "jazz" guitar. I have a little more time before I decide to keep it or not. I was looking at a semi-hollow mexican telecaster, and they apparently have one in stock at the local Guitar Center. I might check it out next week.

I never thought buying something could be so difficult. :rolleyes:

How was Dubai, btw?

I played it with the group last night for the first time. They all seemed to like the PRS better, since as you noted, the Hagstrom is primarily a "jazz" guitar. I have a little more time before I decide to keep it or not. I was looking at a semi-hollow mexican telecaster, and they apparently have one in stock at the local Guitar Center. I might check it out next week.

I'm thinking the PRS had a little more bite than the Hagstrom.

I'm really,really asking you to consider something with two different pickups or coil splitting pots.If you're only going to have one electric give yourself the option.

I'm thinking the PRS had a little more bite than the Hagstrom.

I'm really,really asking you to consider something with two different pickups or coil splitting pots.If you're only going to have one electric give yourself the option.
You would be correct about the PRS having more bite.

I understand your suggestion, but I really don't want to deal with the hum issue from the single-coil pickups. It drove us nuts when the other guitar player brought his strat. Remember, we rehearse using headphones - it's the only way we can practice in a townhome without having the neighbors call the cops. And the hum is unacceptable. I realize that there may be ways to deal with it, but I don't want this to become a project (as if the intonation hasn't already made it a project). I just want to be able to plug and play. :)

but I don't want this to become a project

:facepalm:

Intonation

I think that playing acoustic guitars makes your ears more sensitive to a few cents flat/sharp because the bendiness of the thinner strings don't help. As Guy says, maybe you just aren't suited or used to electric guitars?

Whats the dimension of the high E string? 10? Or thinner?

I'm starting to wonder if this is part of it.Strumming an electric does sound different than an acoustic and the guitar is an imperfect instrument.Also are you using a tuner?Do you cross reference your strings tunings to the other strings?Have you recorded the guitar to confirm your suspicions?

They do make wound G strings for electric,but you really don't want any part of that.

If you're playing primarily rhythm you definitely want .10s or bigger,I personally would never think of putting .09s on any guitar of mine.

Also if you do end up checking out a Tele with buckers I think you'll find that it'll sound much brighter than the guitars you've been playing and the neck is a different animal too.

Guitars are like cars,some guys just want to put the keys in and go,other guys just can't wait to open up the hood.:D

They do make wound G strings for electric,but you really don't want any part of that.
I wasn't suggesting I wanted to switch to a wound G, just pointing out that the unwound G on an electric is easier to bend out of tune.

And yes, I am using a tuner. And when the open G sting is in tune, the second fret (A) is somewhat sharp as verified by the tuner. However, I wouldn't care so much what the tuner said, if it didn't also sound wrong to my ears. If the C chord is properly tuned, a D chord sounds sour. As I may have already mentioned, if I tune the G slightly flat, then both the C chord and D chord will sound OK.

Anyway, the Hagstrom is significantly better intonation-wise than the PRS was. But me boys don't like its sound as much. :( I'm not sold on the tele, but thought it was worth at least a try to go play one.

If I end up keeping the Hagstrom, I plan to go have it set up professionally. They had a guy doing set-ups at Guitar Center the last time I was there, but they wanted $60 for an initial set-up. I also asked if he could do while I waited. He pointed to a sign that said "rush" jobs required a 50% premium. So the $60 would become $90. ouch!!

Another interesting one.
Fender Jim Adkins JA-90 Telecaster Electric Guitar Ebony Transparent and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

Unfortunately, the local Guitar Center doesn't have anything in stock to try out. :(

Those are P-90 single coil pickups.They have a different tone than a regular Fender style single coil,but share the hum.

I take it you don't have any other decent stores nearby?You should really pop into a few,you never know what you might find.

We have a Guitar center and I've been there over a dozen times and bought one pedal and one harmonica.:DI've bought a lot more stuff at Music Go Round,which is a music resale shop,but they're closer and have more of a grab bag of stuff,GC is like Musicians Friend lite.

Those are P-90 single coil pickups.They have a different tone than a regular Fender style single coil,but share the hum.

I take it you don't have any other decent stores nearby?You should really pop into a few,you never know what you might find.

We have a Guitar center and I've been there over a dozen times and bought one pedal and one harmonica.:DI've bought a lot more stuff at Music Go Round,which is a music resale shop,but they're closer and have more of a grab bag of stuff,GC is like Musicians Friend lite.

I didn't realize they were single coils. They looked like humbuckers.

We have a Sam Ash nearby, plus a couple of non-chain places. Prices and selection at the non-chain places leave a little to be desired though.

BTW, Guitar Center and Musicians Friend are owned by the same company. Take a look at their web sites. The selection and prices are identical (although the sales/promotions differ slightly).

There are a lot more - Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts Center, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind and Harmony Central - All owned by Bain Capital.

I think they own Music123 too if I'm not mistaken.

I have four decent stores to choose from,five if I count the place I get my guitars worked on and rent the kids instruments from.

Just to show you guys what I wont be ironing clothes with....

I think they own Music123 too if I'm not mistaken.

I have four decent stores to choose from,five if I count the place I get my guitars worked on and rent the kids instruments from.

Just to show you guys what I wont be ironing clothes with....

Very cool Acid.

My Fab sounds like poop so it's in the recycle bin.

Back