DAW Users With ADD

But they do sound good:)

I was once in Abu Dhabi in July over their weekend (Thursday & Friday in those days) and I couldn't understand why there weren't many people around the pool. I soon found out why. 112 in the shade and 100% humidity is not fun:eek:

If you ever need to cool off come to Wisconsin in January.

It seems like your move is going a lot smoother than Mike's guitar quest.

Yes it seems to be although the level of stress in Mrs Smith is somewhat high;)

I hope your nocturnal sleeping habits improve as well - its about 4am where you are are isn't it? Did you wet the bed again?:laughings:

Yes it seems to be although the level of stress in Mrs Smith is somewhat high;)

I hope your nocturnal sleeping habits improve as well - its about 4am where you are are isn't it? Did you wet the bed again?:laughings:

It was 5:00,it's 6:00 now and you're almost right,once I get up to pee I can't go back to sleep:o.Daylight savings tonight,hoorah!

We had band practice last night. I picked up the Taylor - which hadn't really been played in a couple of weeks, what with the electric soap opera and all - and it didn't even need to be re-tuned. I then proceeded to play it for the next 4 hours or so, never once heard a sour note, and never once had to check the tuning.

Dat's what I'm talking about. :D :D :D

I doubt I can expect that from an electric, but it's got to be better than what I've been experiencing. It seems that every electric I pick up has an issue on the G string at least. Use an electronic tuner on the open G, go up two frets and the A is always sharp. Some are better than others, but they all seem to have that same tendency in my (admittedly limited) experience.

As for getting up during the night, I find it easier just to empty my bladder in place. I guess with wives, you guys just don't have the freedom I do. :D :D :D

We had band practice last night. I picked up the Taylor - which hadn't really been played in a couple of weeks, what with the electric soap opera and all - and it didn't even need to be re-tuned. I then proceeded to play it for the next 4 hours or so, never once heard a sour note, and never once had to check the tuning.

Dat's what I'm talking about. :D :D :D

I doubt I can expect that from an electric, but it's got to be better than what I've been experiencing. It seems that every electric I pick up has an issue on the G string at least. Use an electronic tuner on the open G, go up two frets and the A is always sharp. Some are better than others, but they all seem to have that same tendency in my (admittedly limited) experience.

As for getting up during the night, I find it easier just to empty my bladder in place. I guess with wives, you guys just don't have the freedom I do. :D :D :D
Just go with it,if you're loud enough and use enough distortion things like being in tune don't really matter that much anymore.If you're that worried about being in tune right before you hit the D chord,jump up on the coffee table and do windmill strums,trust me,no one will notice the sound.

They should develop a "close enough for rock 'n roll" tuner. Anything between 420 and 460 would read as A440.

Hmmmm... maybe I should invent this. It could solve a lot of fights between members of those out-of-tune guitar bands. "What are you talking about, a-hole. See, right there, A440!!"

One other thing that I should mention. When acoustic guitarists go to play electric they tend to have a heavier hand grip so the tendency is to bend the strings as they hold the chords - I think you have recognised that already. Jazz guitars (semi-solid f hole types) are usually fitted with thicker guage strings to stop bending and to make the sound louder to cut through the band better.

My work permit visa came in this morning so it looks like we are all set to go tomorrow - next time I post I'll be in sunny Dubai!

One other thing that I should mention. When acoustic guitarists go to play electric they tend to have a heavier hand grip so the tendency is to bend the strings as they hold the chords - I think you have recognised that already.
Yeah, I do suspect some of that is going on. As I mentioned earlier, I noticed when I fingered a Gmaj7 chord, it sounded out of tune - particularly the G note on the D string. But when I fingered that note individually and checked it on a meter, it was right on. :(

The action on my Taylor is quite high. I remember when I first got it I found it somewhat hard to play because of that. Now I don't notice it at all - which probably means I've been eating my spinach. I'm sure that new found strength is not needed when I play an electric, and probably works against me.

That said, I still stand by my comment about the G string and the sharp A note. That I can see on a meter.

BTW, would you like a magnifying glass for Christmas? I suspect burning ants in 117 degree sunlight could be loads of fun. :)

Oh yeah... and a whammy bar, too. :D :D
I'm a little surprised at that,read up on it before you change the strings.

If that first PRS didn't have intonation screws,they must've been going for some kind of vintage vibe,that's unusual.I had a Danelectro U2 that had a wood bridge and a metal nut,I never should've let that guitar go.:(

Anyways I'm getting a blank screen on you picture link so I have no idea what it looks like.:rolleyes:

So is this a keeper?I take it sounds okay?

The weather
Unbelievably warm for march.A high of 76 today,60s all week.Unfortunately,I have the day off.:D:laughings:

I wish I could work in the garden,but it's a little too soon.

LATER

I'm a little surprised at that,read up on it before you change the strings.

If that first PRS didn't have intonation screws,they must've been going for some kind of vintage vibe,that's unusual.I had a Danelectro U2 that had a wood bridge and a metal nut,I never should've let that guitar go.:(

Anyways I'm getting a blank screen on you picture link so I have no idea what it looks like.:rolleyes:

So is this a keeper?I take it sounds okay?
Not sure what's going on with the picture. It was working fine yesterday, but I'm getting a blank screen now, too. Try this instead:
Prs electric guitar se custom wtrem tobacco sunburst cmtst, Buy & Review Prs products online at Furtadosonline.com

The whammy bar wasn't really my choice (and I currently have it removed). But I wanted individual string intonation screws, and in the PRS SE line apparently that only comes with the bridge with the tremolo bar. Otherwise they have what's called a stoptail bridge. It's not that it doesn't have intonation adjustments, it's just that you can only adjust the entire bridge. There are screws at each end of the bridge that change the angle. Theoretically you check the high and low E strings, adjust the bridge so those strings are intonated at the 12th fret, and the rest are supposed to follow. I imagine this works, otherwise how could they sell any guitars, but I couldn't get it to work for me. When I got the E strings adjusted, the G was still off.

As you have said, perhaps I gave up too soon and should have had it professionally set-up; but that ship has sailed. I mostly liked everything else about that semi-hollow body PRS.

This one looks to be a keeper. However, I want to use it with the group on Friday before making my final decision (I have 30 days). The sustain is not as good as the hollow-body, but the tones are more to my liking than the Hagstrom.

Weather has been about the same here. 72 yesterday, 60's today. I've been tempted to open up my deck - uncover the furniture, put my speakers back outside, etc. - but I know as soon as I do we'll get about 20 inches of snow. It's still only mid-March. I did, however, have my first barbecue on Sunday. :)

BTW, the SE Custom 24 I got is a 2011 model. They have updated that model for 2012. Changes include a "carved" top, which is pretty sharp looking IMO. But they also changed the toggle switch to a blade switch, and incorporated a push-pull tone knob which splits the pickups. Street price also went up by $30.
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom 24 Electric Guitar with Gig Bag | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

If I wasn't so impatient, I probably should have waited until someone had the new models in stock. The changes are worth the $30, I think. However, I'm not sure how long these sales are going to last. Seems like GC and MF have been running sales non-stop since January, but I'm not sure if that will go on forever. I got $110 off the one I bought, which ain't chicken feed to a pensioner. :) Without the sale, the price becomes the extra $30 PLUS another $110. :(

Another odd thing I noticed is that when I was playing the guitar and listening through headphones, occasionally the sound would seem to shift around in my ears (right to left). Sort of like someone was playing with a pan control. At first I though it was just in my head (no pun intended), but then I realized it had to do with where I strummed the guitar. If I was strumming between the pickups, I would hear the sound in one place, but if I changed the strumming to somewhere above the neck pickup, the sound would shift.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the humbucker pickups. But I was always under the impression the guitar was a "mono" instrument. Not sure if this applies to all electrics with humbuckers, but I found it slightly strange. Not sure anyone would ever notice without headphones, though.

And a question for you guys. This guitar came without a pickguard. I play with my (right-hand) pinkie and ring fingers touching the guitar, and I am worried about scratching it. I checked and PRS sells a pickguard that will fit for $14. What are your thoughts about installing this without a drill press to pre-drill starter holes for the screws. Obviously I am worried about f-ing up $600 worth of guitar. Any ideas on how to approach this? Or should I pay someone to do it?

The sustain is not as good as the hollow-body
Could be because of the whammy...

BTW, the SE Custom 24 I got is a 2011 model. They have updated that model for 2012. Changes include a "carved" top, which is pretty sharp looking IMO. But they also changed the toggle switch to a blade switch, and incorporated a push-pull tone knob which splits the pickups. Street price also went up by $30.
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom 24 Electric Guitar with Gig Bag | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

If I wasn't so impatient, I probably should have waited until someone had the new models in stock. The changes are worth the $30, I think. However, I'm not sure how long these sales are going to last. Seems like GC and MF have been running sales non-stop since January, but I'm not sure if that will go on forever. I got $110 off the one I bought, which ain't chicken feed to a pensioner. :) Without the sale, the price becomes the extra $30 PLUS another $110. :(

A bird in the hand...

Another odd thing I noticed is that when I was playing the guitar and listening through headphones, occasionally the sound would seem to shift around in my ears (right to left). Sort of like someone was playing with a pan control. At first I though it was just in my head (no pun intended), but then I realized it had to do with where I strummed the guitar. If I was strumming between the pickups, I would hear the sound in one place, but if I changed the strumming to somewhere above the neck pickup, the sound would shift.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the humbucker pickups. But I was always under the impression the guitar was a "mono" instrument. Not sure if this applies to all electrics with humbuckers, but I found it slightly strange. Not sure anyone would ever notice without headphones, though.

And a question for you guys. This guitar came without a pickguard. I play with my (right-hand) pinkie and ring fingers touching the guitar, and I am worried about scratching it. I checked and PRS sells a pickguard that will fit for $14. What are your thoughts about installing this without a drill press to pre-drill starter holes for the screws. Obviously I am worried about f-ing up $600 worth of guitar. Any ideas on how to approach this? Or should I pay someone to do it?
Your guitar is mono,end of story.I don't know what's going on there,it's whatever you're plugging into that's causing that.

So after all that,you're thinking about modifying it right off the bat?:facepalm:

I think you should take it back for a hardtail with a pickguard.;)

:D

I think you should take it back for a hardtail with a pickguard.;)
I've now played it two sessions in a row with perfect intonation. At this point it ain't going anywhere. :D :D

So after all that,you're thinking about modifying it right off the bat?
I've been playing it all week with painter's tape on the body below the stings, just on the off chance it needed to go back. :o

However, a pickguard would be a nice addition. I had certain things I was looking for, and in the end I had to make some compromises. No pickguard and a whammy bar were the two I made on this. As I said, I'm not using the whammy bar - so assuming the bridge stays put - that was a minor compromise. If the bridge starts moving on me even without using the whammy, then all bets are off.

I've now played it two sessions in a row with perfect intonation. At this point it ain't going anywhere. :D :D

I've been playing it all week with painter's tape on the body below the stings, just on the off chance it needed to go back. :o

However, a pickguard would be a nice addition. I had certain things I was looking for, and in the end I had to make some compromises. No pickguard and a whammy bar were the two I made on this. As I said, I'm not using the whammy bar - so assuming the bridge stays put - that was a minor compromise. If the bridge starts moving on me even without using the whammy, then all bets are off.

I think you're good.I have a trem bridge on my strat and it stays in tune pretty good,I've got a Bigsby on my Gretsch,but I don't play it enough to know.If you have problems they can be blocked,basically making them into a hardtail.

I like the way the guitar looks right now,I wouldn't change it,but I'm not the one playing it.

Back