Critique my Wall instrumental please

uncle sixer

This is my first "finished" project in a while. I have gotten dynamics (master bus compression and limiting) under control, I think. I have improved on the sound of my drum VST (I think). I have also improved my use of reverb and echo, I think.

Thanks to anyone who gives it a listen, especially thanks for any constructive feedback.

INCOALMO? So you have to write another 45 minutes of original material to finish the challenge? (Also, why did they make a new version of RPM/FAWM?)

Anyway, the mix sounds fine overall. The delay seems to be throwing your guitar time off a little when you get to the outro of part 1.

INCOALMO? So you have to write another 45 minutes of original material to finish the challenge? (Also, why did they make a new version of RPM/FAWM?)

Anyway, the mix sounds fine overall. The delay seems to be throwing your guitar time off a little when you get to the outro of part 1.
Never heard of RPM/FAWM... I am just a recreational guitar/bass player with some fun toys and a DAW I have been teaching myself to use for about a year now. But after a quick search I might have a look at those.

The INCOALMO Challenge was started by someone I know and he though it would be good motivation for me to make.... something... but my attempt will be a partial success at best and I have already broken most of the rules (which is fine in that challenge as long as you admit to the broken rules).

But, thanks for listening... and yes, there are a couple of bits that might be worth a redo at the end. Those are the parts I was feeling most self-conscious about.

Overall that's a decent effort with nice playing....definitely some issue with guitar parts ending abruptly that needs editing at 1.09.

Mark

Overall that's a decent effort with nice playing....definitely some issue with guitar parts ending abruptly that needs editing at 1.09.

Mark
Thanks, I actually did part 2 first, then went back and did the other two parts and made them fit. I could have spliced that together a little better.

This is my first "finished" project in a while. I have gotten dynamics (master bus compression and limiting) under control, I think. I have improved on the sound of my drum VST (I think). I have also improved my use of reverb and echo, I think.

Thanks to anyone who gives it a listen, especially thanks for any constructive feedback.

The guitar should be brighter to me - and the bass less mid heavy.

Nice playing, really like that playing on the bluesy solo part of another brick in the wall, nail the guitar tone, maybe backing keys/synth pad could come up a bit? Delay sounds great, very authentic Gilmour sound.

The guitar should be brighter to me - and the bass less mid heavy.
I realized a certain "character compressor" I was using squashes the highs a little more than I like. Although I do like it slightly dark sounding, I see what you mean. For the bass, I was messing around with sending all the bass lines to a parallel saturation track that I mixed back in... I like that it keeps the bass popping on small speakers (laptop, cell phone), but it is a little midrangey.

Nice playing, really like that playing on the bluesy solo part of another brick in the wall, nail the guitar tone, maybe backing keys/synth pad could come up a bit? Delay sounds great, very authentic Gilmour sound.
Thanks so much. That solo was actually a scratch solo from I-don't-know-how long ago, but when I was tracked all the other stuff it just seemed to fit nicely. The level was a little low, but the tone was there. I am not sure if I could play a better take than that without driving myself a little crazy (and, knowing me, it would end up sounding rigid and rehearsed).

The delay sounds are super fun. I dialed in double delays for Run Like Hell, then level and repeats can be tweaked for different songs and the delay times just get changed proportionately for different tempos. I had never played the delay solo (part 1) before, but when I got the delay sorted, I figured I had to give it a shot! Guitar delays were in my multi effect pedal and recorded that way, bass delay at the end was recorded straight, then delayed through my daw so I could have a little more control over it.

Thanks so much, Gilmour is on of my biggest influences!

Back