Confessions of a M312b owner.

Herm, way-so-sorry about that 38 disaster!

If it's any consolation, I too got a "deal" Tascam 38, and even after my offer to drive & pick it up, fearing damage, the seller told me, "don't worry, it will be okay", but it was anything but okay.

The seller packed the 38 in a box that was barely big enough to cover it, and instead of normal bubble wrap or foam packing, he packed the empty spaces with a bunch of old clothes, the likes of rags you'd get at the Goodwill. The unit was dropped numerous times by UPS, on all sides. The bottom plate was smashed in and bent on/near the feet, the back cover cracked wide open, the top bonnet was bent and damaged, and the meter bridge also bent, although not to such a degree as yours. Under the covers, the audio cards were in disarray, and the actual base chassis plate of the 38 was bent, irrepairably damaged. The reel tables were smashed in, as well as the head cover, broken. I have pictures, if you wish, but suffice to say, this 38 went from near-mint to smithereens, overnight. So, it doen't help you in this case, but I've been there & done that.

Herm, so sorry about that 38 disaster! You previously asked yourself what you'd use a second 38 for,... and the answer is,...

PARTS!

... & really sorry to hear it!

Your all-in-one packing of the 38-system also reminds me of when another seller packed a Fostex A8 and 350 mixer into the same box, inadequate packing and the whole 9 yards. Upon opening the box, I found the A8's cover panels all cracked & broken, and the meter bridge completely broke off the 350 mixer.

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, those Ebay sellers! This Ebay seller, in particular, turned a mint Fostex A8 & 350 mixer into smithereens!

Dude, you wouldn't doubt me if I told you I had several other similar stories to that, would you? HINT: I have three Fostex A8's, and two of them are damaged. Also, I have a Fostex A2, and it suffered the similar smashing fate. Likewise, I scored a mint Technics RS-M50X, dbx cassette deck, and it suffered a drop/crack into the front left corner,... because the seller had packed it in a barely-big-enough VCR box, with inadequate packing.

I have more horror stories, but I'll have to fill you in on that later.

Much sorrow and condolences, for the 'late' 38.

:eek: :confused: :mad: :( :rolleyes:

ya know its a shame people are that stupid. I can tell that this unit was in good shape, except the pinch roller before it got shipped. He was even stupid enough to put the dbx units and the sync unit all in the same box and the take up reel was used as padding between some of the gear.:rolleyes:

Well this makes my 4 th tascam ebay deal in a couple of months and everyone of them has had a problem of some kind.
I think I have had it with trying to get any thing worth a shit off ebay for a long time.

I've had my share of Ebay bummers, that I'd like to forget.

Counsel them, advise them, beg them to pack the units properly with adequate packing, but some people just don't have a clue on how to pack heavy recording equipment! Either not a clue, or don't care.

Well, I pissed away the afternoon, writing other posts, so I'll brew one more large mug of coffee, and it's do-or-die on the yardwork now. I'll already be incurring an extra charge on the roller, for the extra day. C'ya.

I'm looking for damage-pics to post,... later!;)

I'm so lucky to live in a country where nowhere is more than 874 miles from anywhere else (Land's End to John O'Groats).

That is the saddest thing I've ever seen Herm... Tascam Abuse!
I'd write some feedback on that prick that would make 'War & Piece' seem like a short story!!!

We have to fuck this guy SOMEHOW!

(I know now that there is the escrow(?) service thing, but there really needs to be an Ebay bounty hunter service in each state!)

Why do people suck?!!!
Grrrrr!

To Herm and ARP,

Sorry to hear about your E-bay woes. That sucks!:mad:

It seems your stories are all to often related and is one of the main reasons I have stayed away from using E-bay as little more then a research tool.

I have always bought my stuff locally and transported it myself and so far, this method has prooven 100% successful for me.

About your lawn, ARP.

Two words;

Astro Turf!:D

Hey! It worked for the Brady's:)

Cheers! :)

I was just discussing with my neighbor, that I wish very much it was concrete and not

mulch that I was flattening. Done now, whew! That roller weighs a ton when filled with water, but that yard is smooth!

I'm dirty as hell, clothes are wet, and I never did get that third cup of coffee. It's time to brew some java and shower.

Yak at ya soon.

Oh, yeah GFM, I look for local Ebay auctions, and my best scores have always been the ones I picked up in person.

So far, on my grandest purchase yet, the M520, I'm stranded for a cable, but at least I'm not out all my dough with nothing to show for it.

Anyway, as Ebay sellers go, some just have a knack for packing equipment properly, and damn those who don't! Poor packing has been the demise of too many decent Tascams and Fostex's than I care to know.

I may have some juicy damage pix, later!...

C'ya in a bit, after a quick coffee break. 6:55pm, and I just finished messin' with my yard. Pressed it really well and got about a dozen tenacious weeds, new sprouts from some mature dandelions I had cut at the top. I'll be dealing with that for a while, but as they express themselves with new shoots, I'll go after the entire root by hand.

I sure as heck wish it was all concrete in the front, believe me! But, if grass comes up nicely, I'll enjoy it for what it's worth.

I Hate every computer I own for one reason or the other!!!
(I'm pissed! LOL)

Ghost... I will send you a CD. Between me revamping with additional verses and sending it to Herm for drums, you'll have plenty of time to get the CD in the mail.

HEY REEL, WANNA GET IN ON A COLLAB?

:)

You & Ghost gonna collab?

I take it that's a 1/2" 8-track reel production? Depending on what it is, & if I thought I could add value in part, then sure, I'd consider a 1/2" reel collab.

Mark7, Herm & I were also discussing a 7" reel 388 collab production, a bit, I mean, the idea was floated.;) Herm also has a 1/2"8-track.

I'm not the player like some of you guys, I'm sure, but depending on what it was, if I could vibe on it, then it could be fun for a reel collab. I'm a fair multi-intstrumentalist, and I can at least pound out some basic stuff, or more, depending on how familar I was with the song.;)

I'm not the player like some of you guys,

I don't believe that for a second.

I have heard a lot of your stuff and I think you are a very competent guitarist.

I also admire the fact that you can do a lot of covers because you can read music. This is something I never rapped my head around and it is why I am limited to doing original stuff mostly.

I can follow chord diagram sheets but thats about it for me.

But, yeah! I would love to get a collaboration project under my belt with you guys and I am sure between Herm's drumming, yours and billy's guitar skills and my jack of all trades, master of none skills, we can put something pretty impressive together!

I await the CD!

Cheers! :)

Hey billy if you dont want to mess with sending everyone a cd I could do a mp3 on sunday and post it on nowhere for them to download.

I'll just follow chord charts, and I don't read the music staff, per se.

Almost everything I've ever recorded was done either by ear or by chord charts, or combination of the two.

I wish I could read music competently,... I mean,... I can barely read it, & not well enough for sight playing or learning tunes, necessarily. I mean,... I could painstakingly read out the notes on the staff, but it's not musical sight reading, like you think. Trust me.

However, I can read and write chord charts and progressions pretty well, and work by that & by ear, mostly. It depends on the song. Most songs I can work out by ear, if they're simple enough, & without unusual chords or changes. I can comp pretty well to recorded music & can just feel my way around a tune, on guitar, bass & piano. ;)

I've been running tape on my guitar musings, lately, but it's nothing big. On the 488mkII, I'm recording a mono guitar signal to 4-tracks simultaneously. It's a completely senseless sounding practice tape, but I figure I need daily practice, all around, on tape recording and instruments. Can't let all this great gear go to waste, either. I'm working my way up to producing something new, TBA, or at least I want to record something new soon, some multitrack production number/TBD.

It would be a 38ers delight.

It's a VERY EASY 4 chord rock piece that would need a simple Bassline. You would receive a chord/lyric sheet as well... Trust me, I've heard you play Reel and when you hear how simple this is you'll laugh...

HOLY COW!!!

While I was posting HERM AND REEL must have been posting because I completly missed your guys post! (LOL)

I had to open my music PC up and reseat the soundcard, then get the drivers and reinstall them.... Now it apperas to be working!

Herm: I'm going to TRY (LOL) to mix an mp3 version and get a 'Nowhere' account, but sure if you want to post one, then heck yeah go ahead... I will straighten out the chord/lyric sheets and email them (Can you attachments in a PM?) Or hell, I'll just post an attachment of it in this thread.

This is an easy chessy fun rock and roll song that we can all pull off (If I can get my shit together!) AND if we all put our heads together we can all write the back half verse part no problem.

Man, I know Ghost could sing the hell out of this song!
(I'll be happy to just be play the lead lick... Everything else is open.)

This tune will be 99 with a bullet! LOL

Heck I missed 3 posts!!!!
Click-boom boom..is this thing on? LOL

Herm has got it going on on the drums no doubt'ola!

And Reel.. Dude you own that "Thing" for covers where you BECOME the song! (I'm telling you guys, I've played the song "Sarah" by FWMAC a million times, but I never once HEARD it till Reels version... I was like "Wow, that IS a Cool guitar and Bass interaction!!"
REEL you can play this song standing on your head... with one foot tied behind your back! LOL

Ghost has the strong vocal chops and the mix wizzard skills to shine this little thing up.

(SOMEHOW I'd like to get Rick in too.)

Without a doubt I AM the weakest, least experienced player here.

As far as shipping formalites go... I will send Herm the Master tape (Not a full reels worth) and contribute like a fin towards offsetting it's shipment to Reel and then ten bucks (In the box) for Reel to add to whatever it cost to go on to Ghost.
(Ghost gets a free sipping ride on this one... Damn Singers! LOL)

Re: You & Ghost gonna collab?

A Reel Person said:
I take it that's a 1/2" 8-track reel production? Depending on what it is, & if I thought I could add value in part, then sure, I'd consider a 1/2" reel collab.

Mark7, Herm & I were also discussing a 7" reel 388 collab production, a bit, I mean, the idea was floated.;) Herm also has a 1/2"8-track.

I'm not the player like some of you guys, I'm sure, but depending on what it was, if I could vibe on it, then it could be fun for a reel collab. I'm a fair multi-intstrumentalist, and I can at least pound out some basic stuff, or more, depending on how familar I was with the song.;)

Ah, the 388 Collab. I'd almost forgotten about that. The best way I can figure it is we do the thing from scratch. If Herm has time maybe he can lay down a drum track or two then pass it onto you, ARP, for bass (I only have an Audio Buddy and a small Vox practice amp, so I'm assuming you'd be better equipped): unless there's someone else you can think of? Anyway, then it comes to me for a rhythm guitar track (best that whoever lays down the bass track tells me what key it's in as I'll never guess in a million years LOL), then back to you ARP for some lead licks... and we figure out the rest (like are we going to have vocals or not) when we come to it.

How does that sound?

Darn nowhereradio has cut me off I think cause I had a cover tune posted that I was only going to leave up a couple of days and forgot about taking it down. And they wont let me sign back up.

I will see if I can find another place to post the song Billy

Hey Herm!

Are you up for the 388 collab?

How does my idea (see above) sound?

Just think of it as an adventure in musical evolution ;)

Sounds good to me but someone is going to have to come up with a song or something or maybe a cover cause I dont think I will be able to just put down a drum section and have anything that would make sense. Reel likes covers and so do I Maybe we could pick one out and go from there.

Back